Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Homburg Nation

undertaker

Practically Family
Here are my daily wearers. I almost hesitate to post them after looking at the others on this thread. The images on this thread have cast a craving on me for a vintage Homburg. These are all modern, the gray is a Miller, the brown a Scala, and the black is a Beaver Brand 5X. The gray is my personal favorite.

001-2.jpg

Regards,
J.S.

randooch

I'll Lock Up
I found this Standard Quality Stetson last week. It was rumpled a bit and had 3 stains that i spot-treated with naptha - then sponged- to great effect. An esteemed lounger tells me it's later than 1930's, but any further narrowing based on these pictures would be much appreciated.

Here's the inside:
8344f2733363dd461327969078.jpeg

Two stickers beneath the sweat:
0674f2734a6ad0831327969446.jpeg

3834f2734dab5cc81327969498.jpeg

It came with its box, which is pretty fragile. I reglued the bottom seam all the way around.
6694f27354762cdb1327969607.jpeg

Great sales sticker on the box bottom; alas, only the day and month (3/4) are cited:
5064f2735a39e1661327969699.jpeg

Sweatband imprint probably helps with dating, due to Chestnut St. address:
3544f2736631103e1327969891.jpeg

The hat itself is your basic homburg with heavy brim-binding, unlike the awesome Borso posted above:
6234f2737089bd0c1327970056.jpeg

It came sans wind trolley, and the decorative white (now yellowed) ribbon was loose in the box:
9344f27378e9381d1327970190.jpeg

Thanks for looking!

delectans

Call Me a Cab
Great looking Homburg, Randall. Based upon the manufacture label it would appear that the hat is from the mid-'30s or earlier. See as reference Alan's wonderful thread, Dating 30s/40s Stetsons By Manufacturing Label.

I agree with Alan, that the manufacture label is probably more reliable in dating earlier vintage Stetson hats as compared with liner and sweatband details. They are also quite helpful in dating hats from other makers such as Crofut & Knapp, Dobbs, Cavanagh, and Knox.

Last edited:

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Thank you both! I wonder if the number series on the sales sticker, bottom left, indicates the year with those last 2 digits in boldface: 12721- 35

Hmmmm.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Randall-- that is great! Frankly, I think that crease works tearfully well with the rolled homburg brim! Is that the way you received it? Edward Kennedy "Duke" Ellington used to wear a similar hat.

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Forgot to mention that part, Jeff. No, it came with a center dent and some misshapen waviness here and there. I steamed the heck out of it, opened the crown, let it dry, then reworked it.

Glad you approve!

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for posting! These Akubra homburgs continue to fascinate me. I like the ruggedness of the Akubra felt paired with this style hat, as well as the seemingly deliberate non-vintage style blocking, with taper. It's balanced, yet a little edgy, at least looking from here. nice color, too.

brothelcreeper

Familiar Face
Cheers, bowlerman. It was the first hat I got, basically because it didn't look Indiana Jones when I tried it on. I really like it, though am looking for a darker homburg with a flatter brim.

Was thinking this: http://www.stetson.com/mens/hats/dress-and-caps/boulvard-brown but am inclined against it based on the wool felt.

Any thing anyone could recommend? I would love one in green though I think my chances are pretty slim :eusa_doh:

PhilS

One of the Regulars
I am interested in advice concerning Homburg's -- I have looked at some in the past that I felt were too round (or looked round on my head). I am looking for one that is more linear/back-to-front, which I guess is a function of both a proper fit and perhaps some sort of tapering on the sides. Anyhow, is there a guide somewhere here aboutvarious types of homburgs, any stylistic variations, or fit considerations? I am a 7 3/8 long oval. I think I want gray or black.

You will see different looks if you look back through this thread. Many are vintage so you will not see the same look and construction in modern factory made Homburgs. There are good number of vintage ones (at reasonable prices) available on eBay if you want to go in that direction (that would be my recommendation).

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
New hats from the flea market today.
Three Homburger, two Mayser. One from 1950 the other from 1968. Last one a short-brimmed Rheinhut Homburger.
The condition on all are very good.

The Mayser 1968

mayserhomburg68.jpg

mayserhomburg681.jpg

mayserhomburg682.jpg

mayserhomburg683.jpg

Mayser 1950

mayserhomburg50.jpg

mayserhomburg501.jpg

mayserhomburg502.jpg

mayserhomburg503.jpg

mayserhomburg504.jpg