Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Home Depot Installation scam

I am not sure if this is the right place for this rant but maybe I can save a few people some money. If it is the wrong place then delete it and I won't be sore. :)
Well it all started when the water heater went out. This is over at my grandmother's place so I am the one who takes care of such things. I ended up going to Home Depot for a refridgerator earlier in the week so I went back and check the water heaters. They had them and they install them so ok, that would be fine. A $350 water heater ened up being $750 with installation. Ok, that's fine. The guy was supposed to come yesterday but he didn't. He was supposed to come early today but he just got there an hour or so ago.
Well, I get a phone call from the installer. It needs to have a few things done to bring it up to code. Ok, how much? $580!? Let's see, I am at work, my grandmother needs a water heater today and this guy has it but is holding me hostage for $580 more! This is ridiculous! I complained to the guy but he knows he has me over a barrel so I am stuck.
That is the most expensive $350 water heater I have ever owned! Well, now that I am out $1,330 for the damned thing, I thought I would warn others. Do not get involved in anything that the complete cost is not upfront. It makes no sense to do anything without a complete and detailed list of the service and the costs involved. I could have had a plumber comeout and do the whole thing for less than half the cost. Just be warned.
In answer to questions that may come up, yes, I did call customer service to complain. The walls have better ears---forget it. So ends my rant. Thanks for letting me vent.

Regards to all,

J

Mycroft said:
Well, I am sorry to here that JP. It scares me that a plumber can do it for cheaper where you leave. Plumbers where I live cost more then heck.

You are right a plumber isn't cheap but the local one would install it for me for $150 on top of the price of the water heater. That is quite a bit less than $1,300.
Man I going to get a glass of Lagavulin. My head will explode if I don't. :beer:

Regards to all,

J

Renderking Fisk

Practically Family
Two words service people fear most: "Show Me..." If they can't show you what's wrong or why you need more service then early agreed on, you're about to be scammed.

Also, before they start work, be sure to work in to the conversation that you have a cousin who just made partner at his law firm for winning a class action lawsuit and he's too ambitious for his own good.

Sales and service people hate me... because I tell them I'm always looking for new things to rant about on my on-line newspaper.

Mycroft

One Too Many
Renderking Fisk said:
Two words service people fear most: "Show Me..." If they can't show you what's wrong or why you need more service then early agreed on, you're about to be scammed.

Also, before they start work, be sure to work in to the conversation that you have a cousin who just made partner at his law firm for winning a class action lawsuit and he's too ambitious for his own good.

Sales and service people hate me... because I tell them I'm always looking for new things to rant about on my on-line newspaper.

I am sorry you have that disposition ;).

gandydancer

Familiar Face
Having worked for Home Depot at one time, I am not a real fan of them. But I can tell you one thing. The only one who is authorized to tell you no, is the store manager. Until you have talked to him in person, do not take a no.

The installers do not actually work for Home Depot. In most cases They are sub-contractors. But when the store manager tells them to cough up the money, or they will never do another job for Home Depot again they usually know which side the butter is on.

Don't yell and scream, just quietly demand satisfaction until you get it. Eventually the store manager will give you what you want, if he can justify it to his bosses, just to get rid of you.

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Home Depot stinks. Last year when the painters were painting my bathroom ceiling, my dad went to HD to buy painters tape to hold up plastic sheets over the walls to protect the wall paper and bought what the sales clerk recommended for the job. Well, the painters tape ripped the wall paper up towards the top where the wall meets the ceiling. My dad (and I too) were hacked. Dad went up to HD and they said there was nothing they could do. He ranted and raved and finally the store manager gave him free molding to put up there around the bathroom to cover up the rips.

Not to mention, everytime I go to HD I can't find someone to help me...and I will admit I'm pretty clueless when I go there..hardware and tools just ain't my thing. Envision a lone female staring at the aisles and wondering up and down them, not really sure where to go (spinning in circles) with a look of bewilderment on her face. That would be me. I do know where to find the weed eater line spools and the Weed and Feed fertilizer. But then deciding which type to get is the challenge...as I always forget which type of grass I have. (I think it's Bermuda). I need to rant on RK's page, don't I?

Gee, I never thought of marching in and nailing the store manager. That might be an interesting conversation. I'll see where it gets me.
Looks like there are a few other people that had a few things go wrong as well. I suppose it is better to feel that I am not he only one. :p

Regards to all,

J

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Yep....

...it's the same all over the world- SuperMegaJumbo home stores with a flock of 17 yr old know-nothings or autistic grown ups. And where are they all?
Beware! none of them know anything about squat!
Gone are the days of the paint shop, with the owner who knows all about paint.
Today, there's nothing to know about paint, because it's crap- now you need to buy 20 gallons to paint a ceiling-......hmmm, I only used 3 gallons 12 years ago...
Try asking the staff some in depth questions about paint or something you have intimate or detailed personal knowledge of...heheheh... makes you feel like the consumate expert.

Some of us are old enough to remember the days before the Malls, the Superstores- the days of J.Jones Hardware and B.Smith's Menswear.

BT.

Renderking Fisk

Practically Family
Mycroft said:
I am sorry you have that disposition ;).

Why, because you’re in Sales or Service? Or because I’ve been fooled too many times and I’ve become bitter and cynical while letting it be known that I won’t tolerate nonsense anymore?

I need to qualify part of my earlier statement… not all sales and service people hate me, nor do I hate them… not all. Because there are two types of Sales and Service people…

… Those who want to help other people by getting them what they want or need.

… Those who are out to make their quota and work people’s desire to feel excepted and their greed, hustling to move merchandise that can’t be sold on it’s own merits alone.

When I encounter a sales person that’s out for himself and not the mutual “buyer-Salesperson relationship� I loose patience fast.

ITG said:
I need to rant on RK's page, don't I?

That draft you feel is the door that's always open to you, Holly. When ever you want, how offten you want, about any subject you want.

James... this is the kind of watch-dog stuff I want to do. Keep me posted. I want to alert the FC readers about this.

JenLyn

New in Town
My husband and I are building and house back in Missouri and plan to use as many reliable local sources for materials and labor as possible. However, we are currently in Kentucky - so to get estimates for our construction loan, I've been going to our local Lowe's for help. They have been helpful, but I have to constantly ask if the prices include installation or not, which can really change the price. It's frustrating because I wish they would just flat-out tell me. It seems like most of these stores are staffed by teens for their after school or summer jobs - not any real skill. Case in point:

My parents were finally able to replace the kitchen counters and went to a Lowe's. They ordered it and had to call the guy 3 times to find out when it would be in and when they would deliver it. They guys they sent to deliver it were 2 hours late. They didn't install it level either; where the two pieces match up in the corner, you can run your fingers down the seam and definitely notice one piece sits higher than the other. They also chipped a corner of the counter and didn't get it flush against the wall in back. When my parents complained, they said there was nothing they could do.

RK, this is another rant for you!

D

Deleted member 259

I was in HD the other day to buy an 18volt Screw Gun for work. When I ask one of the guys working there where I could find it, he says, "here's a 12volt that would be perfect for you" I explain that I specifically need the 18 and he asks "whats a pretty young thing like you going to do with an 18volt? All your going to need for your craft wrk is a 12. "

Now, First off, i'm not doing craft work, i'm building high-quality sets.
And I'm used to a little sexual discrimination - especially because of where I work, but i'm just trying to buy something and this guy is supposed to encourage that. instead, he demeans me in front of an aisle full of people.

I bought a 24volt instead and took this guy's name to the manager.

Michaelson

One Too Many
I worked a brief stint at Lowes. Same thing. They hire folks off the street who can read and write, show them basic things such as what aisle they work on, and what goes where in inventory, then turn them loose. You have good folks on the floor, you have folks that are lucky to find their way off the parking lot. Tennessee is a 'right to work' State, so they can tell you one day to take a hike, or you can call in with no notice and tell THEM to take a hike. Everyone knows this, and the customer service you receive reflects this.

SO, keep in mind you're not dealing with consumate professionals...you're not dealing with folks who make a dime off of commissions, and more than likely are just making minium wage. That's all I made, and the only reason they hired me was I was between videography jobs, and they knew I knew TV and VCR sales....so they put me in hardware! :rolleyes:

I only say all this because I WAS one of these folks, and it wasn't pretty. I probably lost Lowes more money than they made, as many times I talked folks OUT of sales, as I KNEW where items were that cost less money at other stores, and told them so. Then again, maybe not, as those folks would come back and ask for me when they needed something else, and would buy from me. One never knows..... ;)

Regards. Michaelson

Dalexs

Practically Family
I don't really want to rain on anyones parade, but...
I am the sort of person who is basically a cheapskate...
I HATE to be taken to the cleaners on anything.
So I tend to over-research everything and make sure I know EXACTLY what I need.

The point I'm trying to make is this, to a point, it is up to you to not let yourself get fleeced. Get a second opinion. Research, reseach, research.

Yes, the "professionals" are supposed to help you with the decisions, but lets face it, who's interest are they looking after really?

This is not to say that there still aren't some out there who will give it to you straight. I had a furnace guy cut me a break because I installed a new part on my furnace, missed 1 minor thing and had to call him. Within 5 minutes, he told me exactly what was wrong and asked me how much he should charge me.

Those kind of people in todays world are far and few.

Does Lowes and HD have it merits, yes, for some things. But I am finding myself more and more going to the local hardware store for the knowledge and professionalism and put the higher prices aside.

Ok, you can commence throwing the tomatos...

Well, all I can say is that I know now what I should have before. The fact is that I was in a ruch to get it fixed. If it was for me then I could live without hot water for a while. This wasn't the case though. It was for my 93 year old grandmother's house and I just wanted to get it done and have hot water as soon as possible.
Next time I will use the local hardware guys but they were not open at 6:00pm on a Sunday. Those are the breaks you get when something goes out---it is never convenient. I am not throwing tomatoes at you believe me. My purpose in telling my tale here is to warn people that they can get taken advantage of very easily if they are in a rush----my case is the research and the warning for many. I just do not want anyone else to get as POed as I did. ;) When in doubt or in a hurry go somewhere other than Home Depot.
I wish I had service people out here like the one you mentioned but finding them takes a whole lot of mistakes first. "Integrity--what does that mean? It's not in my lexicon." :p

Regards to all,

J

Renderking Fisk

Practically Family
Dalexs is a good guy. Trust me... I've met him a few times and he's one of the coolest people I know.

Home Depot is one giant wholesale retailer. If you know what you're looking for and where to find it and not have to ask anyone for help, you're in great shape.

IndianaGuybrush

One of the Regulars
carpecaligo said:
I was in HD the other day to buy an 18volt Screw Gun for work. When I ask one of the guys working there where I could find it, he says, "here's a 12volt that would be perfect for you" I explain that I specifically need the 18 and he asks "whats a pretty young thing like you going to do with an 18volt? All your going to need for your craft wrk is a 12. "

Now, First off, i'm not doing craft work, i'm building high-quality sets.
And I'm used to a little sexual discrimination - especially because of where I work, but i'm just trying to buy something and this guy is supposed to encourage that. instead, he demeans me in front of an aisle full of people.

I bought a 24volt instead and took this guy's name to the manager.

MAAAAAAAN, you let him of EASY! He would have BOUGHT me that 24v out of his paycheck had that been me. There is just no call for that kind of BS. I'm in no way a PC Nazi, and I'm all for a little friendly ribbing between people who know eachother well enough, but in a 'professional' setting with a customer you have to act a certain way. Like I said Carp, you let him off way too easy!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner