Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Home Depot Installation scam

Mycroft

One Too Many
jamespowers said:
Michaelson, you hold his hat for the regular spot and I will hold it for the tanks spot at the Super Bowl. I will ask about it after the first spot though. ;) :p

Regards to all,

If I get pancaked(smooshed), you need a new victum JP and one with a hat. ;)

JenLyn

New in Town
I'd be willing to watch the super bowl to see your tank ad! What kind of tank? One of the current M1A2s or something classic....like a M4 Sherman?

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Water Heater

I have to replace my water heater also. I has been in this house for about 15 years. It still works fine, and has shown no symptons of going bad. However, when you have to go to work and there is a need for hot water, well...

So...I have my man coming to do this job The water heater, a good one, is about $400. He has to move it up 18 inches. Code. Vapors in the garage thing. That means moving up the valves, and shortening up the vent. Oh, did I mention that the original installation was not to code? Have to add a copper overflow pipe. Then I will be set. Oh ....he is also gonna move a gas line, and install a valve and dryer outlet, and hook up for the gas line....the dryer needs to be moved also. This is not cheap.
I am doing it now so I am not suprised later in the worst time ...

wackyvorlon

One of the Regulars
Heh, it's not cheap because he's not making it cheap:) You *can* buy your own copy of the code. If it's an induced draft heater, the 18" stuff is probably bunk. You can use flexible copper tube to run gas lines. And if he's a plumber, he is most likely not qualified to work with the gas. You'll need a gas fitter, and he's probably going to subcontract that fellow.

farnham54

A-List Customer
Wackyvorlon is right, Andy--I'd watch that guy.

Home Depot, I've found, is a great spot like Ren said IF you know exactly what you are up to. Occasionally, you find a person who will help you out and knows their stuff, but often they know as much about their product as anyone else--that is to say, probobly not much.

As for Gaffers tape--Well I swear by Tie-Wraps, the nylon belts that click together. Thats key in any toolbox I've got! That and my leatherman can fix anything to "good enuf" stage!:D

I'm forever thankful that in my first job, I did everything from small engines to big engines to building a cabin to flying an airplane. It's given me a damn good skill set in all pursuits!

Cheers
Craig

wackyvorlon

One of the Regulars
Andy: Got a few questions. Where is the water heater installed? Is it in the garage? The code you have to adhere to often varies with location, but I did some checking. Often, they want you to plumb the overflow outside to prevent interior water damage. However, you can do fine without that, particularily if the heater isn't in a furnished room.

Most of the water heaters I'm familiar with just have a plastic pipe mounted to the overflow, pointing down about four feet. This is generally all you need.

And... Further searching, and I've found mention of the part of the code that requires a platform under the heater. This is required only for heaters installed in a garage, in order to prevent the pilot light from igniting gasoline fumes.

Slicksuit

One of the Regulars
Home Depot and Lowe's drive me crazy sometimes, too. On many occasions, my experience has been that the associate I have to deal with doesn't know his butt from a whole in the ground. Once, I had an employee of Lowe's advise me not to use latex paint over oil-based primer...which is hogwash. As long as the underlying layer is completely cured, its fine. Other times, I've asked for a particular tool, only to be told they don't carry it. A few times I've found it, and was almost ready to go back to said associate and hit them on the head with it.

I do have a few trusted people though...a retired electrician at a local HD, an ex-painter with several years' experience at another location. Otherwise, I do my research - both internet and print, as well as talking to the staff at speciality shops.

Dalexs

Practically Family
Keep in mind that pretty much anything in any house older then about 30 years is not up to code in present day.

Houses built back in the 20' are so far from code by todays standards it can almost be scary.

If the state allows it, you COULD pull permits and do some of the work yourself. Oregon allowed me to pull permits to do my own gas line work.
I did it, got it inspected and saved my self about $500 bucks.
(And I didn't even blow myself up!)

Some things you may have to have authorized people to do, but there isn't much that you can't do yourself if you follow the rules.

Dalexs

ITG

Call Me a Cab
So speaking of do it yourself stuff...what would you all recommend for cutting a vinyl record...I've tried heavy duty scissors(which are somewhat okay), a handsaw with small teeth, and a dremel, the last 2 are what is what Home Depot recommended.

Dalexs

Practically Family
I can't say that I've ever tried doing that...
How clean of a cut do you need?
My first thought was the hacksaw, flat across the surface for the cleanest cut. But the record would be too big.
Scoring it is the right idea, but the wrong tools I think Mycroft.
I would use a heavy duty utility knife. Just watch your fingers!
Make a couple of passes using a straight edge for a guide.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner