Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Home Depot Installation scam

Mycroft

One Too Many
Dalexs said:
I can't say that I've ever tried doing that...
How clean of a cut do you need?
My first thought was the hacksaw, flat across the surface for the cleanest cut. But the record would be too big.
Scoring it is the right idea, but the wrong tools I think Mycroft.
I would use a heavy duty utility knife. Just watch your fingers!
Make a couple of passes using a straight edge for a guide.

In retrpspect, yea a heavy utility knife would be better. Or maybe an ice pick.

farnham54

A-List Customer
ITG,

I've had some luck snipping various rigid and semi-rigid synthetics (ie, stuff just like a vinyl record) with a good paper cutter--Your school should have one, and it might do the trick.

Cheers,

Craig

IndianaGuybrush

One of the Regulars
Dalexs said:
Keep in mind that pretty much anything in any house older then about 30 years is not up to code in present day.

Houses built back in the 20' are so far from code by todays standards it can almost be scary.

Dalexs

My house was built in 1903 :eek:

We live in an 'historic neighborhood' and as such have to clear any repairs/modifications we do on the house with a committe... technically. We usually just do our own work on the house and never invite those damn snooping nighbors over ;)

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Dalex/Mycroft, what tools does scoring it involve? Is that one of those torch things? I've tried a box cutter no luck...I may try a paper cutter as I have one at school. I have to be careful because the dremel spinning actually creates friction which actually starts melting the vinyl.

Dalexs, I need a really clean cut...check out this auction and you can have an idea of what type of project I'm considering:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=52473&item=4717759039&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

IndianaGuybrush

One of the Regulars
What kind of heavy duty scissors did you try? Like big ones that you could use to cut paper, or utility scissors?

http://www.neogen.com/7010.htm

These are utility scissors that EMTs use to basically cut through anything. I've used them to cut a penny in half. I'm sure they'd make short work of the record.

Dalexs

Practically Family
Box cutter=Not Utility knife. Same idea, two differerent beasts.

Based on the ebay idea, I offer these two suggestions.
Cut it anyway you can a little on the big side. Sand down to size.

Use a jig saw with an extra fine blade. Keep album flat and secure as
you make the cut.
You own a home now. You can jusitfy buying a jigsaw.
(At least thats how I justify all of my tools!)

Dalexs

ITG said:
Dalex/Mycroft, what tools does scoring it involve? Is that one of those torch things? I've tried a box cutter no luck...I may try a paper cutter as I have one at school. I have to be careful because the dremel spinning actually creates friction which actually starts melting the vinyl.

Dalexs, I need a really clean cut...check out this auction and you can have an idea of what type of project I'm considering:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=52473&item=4717759039&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Jigsaw, is that a handsaw? (stop laughing guys!) If so, I tried that too with a small, fine blade with poor results. Those scissors above worked better (just a little of the record cracked with the scissors). But the scissors do great to cut around the middle part of the album (around the center label) to make coasters for the coffee table.

wackyvorlon

One of the Regulars
A jigsaw is electric(power tool, yay!), and has a flat foot that rests on the material you're cutting. It's handheld, with a blade about two inches long, and only a quarter of an inch wide(width of a #2 pencil). The blade reciprocates with great rapidity, and given it's fine teeth and narrow width, it can easily turn in the middle of a cut. They can be kind of nerve-racking if you don't use them properly:)

wackyvorlon

One of the Regulars
Now that I look at the image you link, to obtain those results you will need to sand or file the record to shape after cutting it, no matter how you cut it. You'll want silicon carbide wet/dry sandpaper, 320, 450 and 600 grit, IIRC. Start with the 320. Use the 320 to establish the general shape, then follow up with the 450 and finally the 600 grit. If you want the edge shinier, you can get sand paper up to 2,000 grit. Make sure you keep a small puddle of water on the paper as you sand, this will keep the grit from getting clogged with plastic bits. The water will turn the same colour as the record:) It may be helpful to stick the sandpaper down with double-sided adhesive tape, but usually I find the water itself holds it place fairly well.

Dalexs

Practically Family
It occured to me that you might be even better off using a Coping Saw.
Basically it is a small hand saw with a very narrow, fine blade.

(Have we gotten this trhead off track enough yet?)

Dalexs

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
I know that the type of vinyl used for records is pretty tricky stuff to cut-
- hard but soft enough to make the going difficult- hard to get a good clean edge. I remember trying to cut records up on a hot-wire thicknesser, the vinyl got sticky, melted.

I'd go with the jeweller's handsaw(like a coping saw), quite a fine blade and take it easy- keeping the cutting line very close to the edge of a surface like a table or counter top.

That's what I'd do- that vinyl is tricky stuff.

***ITG, there's a 'Bates Shoe Co.' ANH-15 helmet on eBay now-

BT.

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Oh so a jigsaw is electric. Thanks guys...project outlook looks bleak.

BellyTank, thanks for the heads up...I found 2 Bates thanks to you and am watching those. Much appreciated!

Retro Grouch

One of the Regulars
carpecaligo said:
I was in HD the other day to buy an 18volt Screw Gun for work. When I ask one of the guys working there where I could find it, he says, "here's a 12volt that would be perfect for you" I explain that I specifically need the 18 and he asks "whats a pretty young thing like you going to do with an 18volt? All your going to need for your craft wrk is a 12.

FYI Carpecaligo,
Home Depot sells price point elec and battery powered hand tools. Companies like Dewalt make "special" tools for HD that sell cheaper then normal Dewalt tools. Ya get what ya pay for.

Tom

Retro Grouch said:
FYI Carpecaligo,
Home Depot sells price point elec and battery powered hand tools. Companies like Dewalt make "special" tools for HD that sell cheaper then normal Dewalt tools. Ya get what ya pay for.

I think she could find a more people friendly place to shop really. I am not going to grace their doors anymore that is for sure. They don't have service they have disservice.

Regards to all,

J

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner