Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Horween CXL Steerhide jacket after ~3months

Asaha

Familiar Face
Hello Everyone,

I thought I will write a small leather review post on my first purchase of a vintage jacket.

Horween CXL Steerhide (3oz.) in Havana Brown, jacket weigh around 7lb.

Now, to give you a frame of reference, I never owned any leather jacket other than usual lambskin jacket, so first experience after lifting this heavy jacket wasn't easy, but thanks to you and your kinds words gave me some hope that I try it out. And man oh man, it's worth every penny.

Horween's Havana brown is a stunning color, but I didn't think steer hide would break in so easily. Initially it was very uncomfortable, it hurt my shoulder, lining on the cuff was irritating, but after weeks of wearing it started to soften up. I haven't done anything else but to wear it as much as I can(couple of times in light rain). I personally like worn out look and I started noticing that outer coat of this hide fades of fairly easily. I got few scuffs in the arm while moving stuff and I think it gives it a bit more character.

Now, 3 months have passed and I have been wearing this at least 70% of the time and look at this beauty. Now, it's still is a heavy jacket and still do feel self aware wearing it, but it's a start to an amazing looking jacket in near future.

20171118_200032-01.jpg 20171118_200142-02.jpg

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
There's no leather as beautiful as brown CLX. I really have to get one again. Best thing about it, it will only look better as time passes by. It's good to hear you did give it a chance despite initial issues and that it paid off so well for you.. congratulations!

BobJ

Practically Family
Starting to look like a jacket that has done a fair amount of comforting and protecting you.

Just looking at the thickness of that collar makes me think: 1. That jacket is invincible, and, 2. That jacket is heavy!

Just remember... That which does not kill you, will make you stronger!

Beautiful jacket with character, and those sleeve wrinkles are out of this world!

Thuggee

Practically Family
Hello Everyone,

I thought I will write a small leather review post on my first purchase of a vintage jacket.

Now, to give you a frame of reference, I never owned any leather jacket other than usual lambskin jacket, so first experience after lifting this heavy jacket wasn't easy, but thanks to you and your kinds words gave me some hope that I try it out. And man oh man, it's worth every penny.

Horween's Havana brown is a stunning color, but I didn't think steer hide would break in so easily. Initially it was very uncomfortable, it hurt my shoulder, lining on the cuff was irritating, but after weeks of wearing it started to soften up. I haven't done anything else but to wear it as much as I can(couple of times in light rain). I personally like worn out look and I started noticing that outer coat of this hide fades of fairly easily. I got few scuffs in the arm while moving stuff and I think it gives it a bit more character.

Now, 3 months have passed and I have been wearing this at least 70% of the time and look at this beauty. Now, it's still is a heavy jacket and still do feel self aware wearing it, but it's a start to an amazing looking jacket in near future.

View attachment 94037 View attachment 94038

That’s look great and only after 3months imagine a couple of years it’s going to rock

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tatagiba

New in Town
Hello Everyone,

Hello Asaha,

I hope you still follow this thread and see my post.
I just joined the forum to look for more info abou this exact jacket. I am planning to order the same model/leather/colour.

But I am a bit concerned about the cargo pockets. I love almost everything on this jacket, the back, the cuffs ... But these cargos are messing with my head.

What do you think about them ? Are they functional or only covers over the side pockets ?
I am thinking in asking them to make the jacket without the cargo pockets ...

Asaha

Familiar Face
Hey,

Cargo pockets are actually functional but I hardly use'em. If u r not big fan of them or don't mind altering the look I can suggest going without them. Another positive thing is it would bulk up less without those.

Are you considering horween cxl for this? It's beautiful leather and it breaks down easily considering its weight. Good luck with your purchase , you won't regret it.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Tatagiba

New in Town
Hey,

Cargo pockets are actually functional but I hardly use'em. If u r not big fan of them or don't mind altering the look I can suggest going without them. Another positive thing is it would bulk up less without those.

Are you considering horween cxl for this? It's beautiful leather and it breaks down easily considering its weight. Good luck with your purchase , you won't regret it.

Thanks for the reply,
That's what I needed to hear. I will go without them. And I will definitely go with the horween cxl, I'm a big fan of this letter.

Would you mind telling your considerations when choozing the size ?
I saw your picture wearing it on another thread, and you managed to get a perfect fit. So what were your body measures and what are the jackets measures ? I think it will help me to choose mine because I never had a jacket with this kind of thick leather and I don't know how it will behave on body ...

Thanks !

Asaha

Familiar Face
At 7 lbs. I imagine your jacket is heavier than 3 oz. My Aero Highwayman also weighs in at 7 lbs. and it is around 4 oz.
It very well could be, they didn't have any thinner cxl and I was impatient after 2months of waiting. I dont feel the weight now but it's still substantial.

Asaha

Familiar Face
Thanks for the reply,
That's what I needed to hear. I will go without them. And I will definitely go with the horween cxl, I'm a big fan of this letter.

Would you mind telling your considerations when choozing the size ?
I saw your picture wearing it on another thread, and you managed to get a perfect fit. So what were your body measures and what are the jackets measures ? I think it will help me to choose mine because I never had a jacket with this kind of thick leather and I don't know how it will behave on body ...

Thanks !
I usually wear size small(sometimes medium) for shirt sizes. I'm 5'10" and weigh about 70kg and jeans waist 32-33. This jacket if I remember correctly is ;

Pit to Pit: 21”

Shoulders: 17.5”

Arm Length: 24”

Back: 23.5”

Waist at bottom hem: 20”

With this size it fits very good with still room for layer.
This was also my first jacket of vintage style. Hope this helps.

Peacoat

Bartender
Starting to look like a jacket that has done a fair amount of comforting and protecting you.

Just looking at the thickness of that collar makes me think: 1. That jacket is invincible, and, 2. That jacket is heavy!

Just remember... That which does not kill you, will make you stronger!

Beautiful jacket with character, and those sleeve wrinkles are out of this world!
Yes, that which does not kill you will make you stronger.
Except for helicopter pilots.
Helicopter pilots will kill you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21