Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do folks react to your hat wearing?

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
just minutes ago I had a pretty unique reaction to my hat.
I'm in Kings supermarket on line wearing a CD on a rainy morning... the man in front of me who looks to be in his 80s or possibly 90s who was buying a small container of prepared hot soup and a roll said to me...

"I like that hat... what you need to do is stick an arrow through the crown and run down to the police station yelling the Indians are coming"

We both giggled and went on our way

Sent from my space aged handheld communication device and universal translator
That's great! LOL! Better than my story:

When I stopped on the candy run yesterday, I saw an older guy (75-80 I'm guessing) struggling to get out of his car. I was in a bit of a hurry, but felt compelled to walk over and offer the gentleman my hand. He looked up at me quizzically, wondering - I'm sure - WTH does this guy want? You should have seen him size me up and down, coming back to the hat I was wearing, his eyes just zeroing in on my hat. I offered him my hand and said, "can I give you a hand up?" He declined but was gracious and complimented me on my hat.

Nice guy, but I saw him later at checkout, right behind me with his sole purchase: a gallon (?) jug of Carlo Rossi Burgundy. I said, "you caught me!" He gave me an annoyed look this time. Then as I was gathering my bag of candies, the 17 year old check out girl told him that because of her age she couldn't sell him any alcohol and pointed to other checkers who could help. Now he was really perturbed.

He was a nice guy, but I'm just guessing he was in need of a drink. I can relate. A kid at the church started talking about the incredible smoked brisket he ate at his graduation party... don't get between me and smoked pork! This was about 11:30 a.m. and I only had a banana for breakfast! Man, was I starving! :)

Jeremy T Garner

Practically Family
This is a very cool thread with some great stories!! Two of my more memorable and recent stories come to mind...

I was picking up something from the UPS store and was wearing my modern Whippet with a suit, suspenders, and spectators. I had my jacket off as I was driving and went in the store with my hat on very quickly. As I was leaving I held the door open for an older couple and the woman said she loved my shoes. After the man walked through I let the door close behind me and was heading to my truck when he said, "Hey please don't take this the wrong way..." Immediately I was curious as to where this could go. He followed up with this, "You look just like my dad!" Now this man was in his late seventies at the youngest so it would have been a distant memory he had from the late 1940s. We chatted briefly and I thanked him but what was so unique was he didn't just mean my hat or clothing. He also meant my build and face looked very much like his father. Really was a cool experience.

The second happened just last weekend in a Cabelas store. My father and I went to Brooks Brothers first to finish up a MTM suit I had commissioned and afterward headed for Cabelas. I was in a sportcoat and trousers with my Stetson Norwood. As we approached the firearms counter the man said, " Hello John" from across the counter and nearly took off in a sprint. My father and I were both a bit puzzled as we watched him. He returned in a flash holding a Thompson Gun and held it out offering it to me as he said, "Here you go boss". My dad didn't get it at first but I figur d out the John comment as soon as he went to hand me the Thompson, lol. Not the first time I have been called John Dillinger. The man did it with a smile and I'm sure meant no disrespect but it certainly came off as a bit weird. :)

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
This is a very cool thread with some great stories!! Two of my more memorable and recent stories come to mind...

I was picking up something from the UPS store and was wearing my modern Whippet with a suit, suspenders, and spectators. I had my jacket off as I was driving and went in the store with my hat on very quickly. As I was leaving I held the door open for an older couple and the woman said she loved my shoes. After the man walked through I let the door close behind me and was heading to my truck when he said, "Hey please don't take this the wrong way..." Immediately I was curious as to where this could go. He followed up with this, "You look just like my dad!" Now this man was in his late seventies at the youngest so it would have been a distant memory he had from the late 1940s. We chatted briefly and I thanked him but was so unique was he didn't just mean my hat or clothing. He also meant my build and face looked very much like his father. Really was a cool experience.

The second happened just last weekend in a Cabelas store. My father and I went to Brooks Brothers first to finish up a MTM suit I had commissioned and afterward heading for Cabelas. I was in a sportcoat and trousers with my Stetson Norwood. As we approached the firearms counter the man said, " Hello John" from across the counter and nearly took off in a sprint. My father and I were both a bit puzzled as we watched him. He returned in a flash holding a Thompson Gun and held it out offering it to me as he said, "Here you go boss". My dad didn't get it at first but I figur d out the John comment as soon as he went to hand me the Thompson, lol. Not the first time I have been called John Dillinger. The man did it with a smile and I'm sure meant no disrespect but it certainly came off as a bit weird. :)

LOL! Great first story, but the 2nd got me laughing. The mobster comment is a common one... Al Capone is what people call me. My pics yesterday with Lil' Fed elicited comments about us looking like a Father-Daughter P.I. team. I just said, "nah, we're beach bums, semi-retired!"

Was the gat loaded? You should have thanked him, turned toward the front door and started running! :)

i-BxKnN6g-L.jpg

i-LfpwddB-X2.jpg

I was picking up something from the UPS store and was wearing my modern Whippet with a suit, suspenders, and spectators. I had my jacket off as I was driving and went in the store with my hat on very quickly. As I was leaving I held the door open for an older couple and the woman said she loved my shoes. After the man walked through I let the door close behind me and was heading to my truck when he said, "Hey please don't take this the wrong way..." Immediately I was curious as to where this could go. He followed up with this, "You look just like my dad!" Now this man was in his late seventies at the youngest so it would have been a distant memory he had from the late 1940s. We chatted briefly and I thanked him but what was so unique was he didn't just mean my hat or clothing. He also meant my build and face looked very much like his father. Really was a cool experience.

The second happened just last weekend in a Cabelas store. My father and I went to Brooks Brothers first to finish up a MTM suit I had commissioned and afterward headed for Cabelas. I was in a sportcoat and trousers with my Stetson Norwood. As we approached the firearms counter the man said, " Hello John" from across the counter and nearly took off in a sprint. My father and I were both a bit puzzled as we watched him. He returned in a flash holding a Thompson Gun and held it out offering it to me as he said, "Here you go boss". My dad didn't get it at first but I figur d out the John comment as soon as he went to hand me the Thompson, lol. Not the first time I have been called John Dillinger. The man did it with a smile and I'm sure meant no disrespect but it certainly came off as a bit weird. :)

Great stories, Jeremy! I hope the Cabela clerk gifted the Tommy to you...

Jeremy T Garner

Practically Family
LOL! Great first story, but the 2nd got me laughing. The mobster comment is a common one... Al Capone is what people call me. My pics yesterday with Lil' Fed elicited comments about us looking like a Father-Daughter P.I. team. I just said, "nah, we're beach bums, semi-retired!"

Was the gat loaded? You should have thanked him, turned toward the front door and started running! :)

i-BxKnN6g-L.jpg

i-LfpwddB-X2.jpg
Great pics Doug!! Lol, now that would have been the perfect end to that story. Me escaping with the Thompson! ;)

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
had another interesting experience yesterday at a town celebration over in the town I grew up in

every year for the past like 115 years there is this day long celebration ... starts with a feast in the late morning and ends at midnight after a carnival with a huge firework show ... people literally come from all over the country to attend the Berkeley Heights Mt. Carmel Feast and to see the world champion Santore Bros. firework display... by 9pm thousands of people fill the field

anyway ... at the morning feast I was there with my wife , kids , mom and sister ... while standing in line to get some food I notice a guy who was the only other person there wearing a hat that wasn't a baseball cap

it was a cheap very narrow brimmed straw ... looked to be something he picked up at Target for $9.99 ... whatever ... I'm not judging him or his hat at all ... that just happens to be what it was.

for the purpose of the story I'll tell you that I was wearing a 1950s Open Road

so ... I get my food and I am walking back to share it with my family and the guy with the Target hat gives me a nod as I walk past them and I smile back ... the guy who he is with says loudly to his Target hatted buddy ...

"hey , this guy (meaning me) is rivaling your hat game!!!"

I couldn't help but to giggle a bit to myself ... basically remembering how little people know about head wear and frankly how little they care to know

clearly to that guy ... and probably 99.9% of the people there saw my hat and the Target hat as pretty much the exact same thing

I found it amusing and a tiny bit sad at the very same time

Last edited:
Went to see one of my theater kids in their professional debut in the musical Addams Family today. By mere fate, our whole group ended up at the same Starbucks at the same time on the way up. How did they find me...the Slats Gill! I was walking across the parking lot and most of this group pictured below started running towards me yelling "Mike's Hat Mike's Hat!" They zeroed in on me based on my fedora! This is a good reaction to hat wearing, warms my heart!
16Jul17 Addams Family trip 2.jpg

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
Went to see one of my theater kids in their professional debut in the musical Addams Family today. By mere fate, our whole group ended up at the same Starbucks at the same time on the way up. How did they find me...the Slats Gill! I was walking across the parking lot and most of this group pictured below started running towards me yelling "Mike's Hat Mike's Hat!" They zeroed in on me based on my fedora! This is a good reaction to hat wearing, warms my heart!
View attachment 79410
That's great!

GHT

I'll Lock Up

i-BxKnN6g-L.jpg

i-LfpwddB-X2.jpg
Two magnificent examples of what hat with what attire. A good example of how it's done. Just curious about the beard though.

totallyfrozen

One of the Regulars
People are odd. Where I work, many of the officers wear ball caps with their uniforms. I'm not an officer, I'm medical. However, a baseball cap is pretty ubiquitous in American society.
Still... I keep getting comments like, "Is this your new look?" and "what's with all the dressing up?"
Oh! And the ones I hate the most,
"You look like Trump" and "Is that a Trump hat?"

Apparently, before Donald Trump's presidential campaign NO ONE EVER wore a baseball cap.
Does this really look all that strange to people?
f6a5b2d3103e13fa5aadd82de4cefa86.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KarlCrow

One Too Many
People are odd. Where I work, many of the officers wear ball caps with their uniforms. I'm not an officer, I'm medical. However, a baseball cap is pretty ubiquitous in American society.
Still... I keep getting comments like, "Is this your new look?" and "what's with all the dressing up?"
Oh! And the ones I hate the most,
"You look like Trump" and "Is that a Trump hat?"

Apparently, before Donald Trump's presidential campaign NO ONE EVER wore a baseball cap.
Does this really look all that strange to people?
f6a5b2d3103e13fa5aadd82de4cefa86.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
just get one with a north korean flag, that'll confuse 'em. (-:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner