Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to relax Stratton "campaign" hat's extreme stiffness?

Naphtali

Practically Family
I recently unpacked a box that had been in storage for about 25 years. Among its contents was a fur felt Stratton [brand] campaign hat. Having disinfected it and de-insected it, I tried it on. It kind've fits. Its helmet shape is too rounded for my head shape. And the thick fur felt is rigid, almost as though it were Masonite® rather than felt. Will this stiffness relax with wearing? If it will not - I anticipate some sort of starching is its stiffness' source - what do I do to relax it? I would not expect it to become as loose and floppy as my fedora. I wouldn't want that to occur. The stiffness found in best-quality western hats would be my goal.

RBH

Bartender
I recently unpacked a box that had been in storage for about 25 years. Among its contents was a fur felt Stratton [brand] campaign hat. Having disinfected it and de-insected it, I tried it on. It kind've fits. Its helmet shape is too rounded for my head shape. And the thick fur felt is rigid, almost as though it were Masonite® rather than felt. Will this stiffness relax with wearing? If it will not - I anticipate some sort of starching is its stiffness' source - what do I do to relax it? I would not expect it to become as loose and floppy as my fedora. I wouldn't want that to occur. The stiffness found in best-quality western hats would be my goal.

Naphtali, I merged these two threads because in the first one it was posted on the results of trying to remove and reshape the Stratton hat.
It was done in hopes that in the future a search would be more fruitful and helpful.
I do recall some have had luck in reshaping these hats and I am sure it involved denatured alcohol.

Naphtali

Practically Family
Regarding the stiffness, I am unconcerned with creating a good fit for my head, nor is rigidity of its Montana Crown an issue. Its the brim that's the problem. Think "Oddjob's hat" and you'll be where the Stratton lives. Relaxing its brim so banging into walls no longer damages the dry wall is what I need to achieve.

RBH

Bartender
Regarding the stiffness, I am unconcerned with creating a good fit for my head, nor is rigidity of its Montana Crown an issue. Its the brim that's the problem. Think "Oddjob's hat" and you'll be where the Stratton lives. Relaxing its brim so banging into walls no longer damages the dry wall is what I need to achieve.

This post might help.

Small world.....I did the same thing with my campaign hat yesterday... It must have been national hat altering day;)
My hat is so stiff it will deflect bullets! That never bothered me much, but what did is the fact that I'm a LO 7 3/8 and this hat is perfectly round. It was never comfortable. It is by the way, an old DI hat with the "montana peak". Great for fishing, but even too far on the outside of normall for even me to wear anywhere else.....:p
So, I stuck it in the kitchen sink and filled the sink with hot water. AS soon as the hat sucked up the water and became pliable I pulled it out and punched it into a open crown then put a center dent in the top and a pinch in the front. I then pulled the front and back down. Then I plunked it on my noggin. I took it outside in the sun to dry and set it ontop of a bowl. Just before it was fully dry I wore it till it fully dryed. Now it fits perfectly and looks dashing. It will still deflect bullets, but that doesn't bother me.
I'll be out of town this week end, but I'll get some pics on monday.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
I have softened two westerns in denaturated alcohol. Mine were completely dismantled ... I'm not sure, I would like to put the sweatband into an alcohol bath. I wouldn't know what to do, if I was to soften the brim alone.

Naphtali

Practically Family
I have softened two westerns in denaturated alcohol. Mine were completely dismantled ... I'm not sure, I would like to put the sweatband into an alcohol bath. I wouldn't know what to do, if I was to soften the brim alone.

I have no problem with crown being softened, also. The priority is its brim.
RBH:

Reshaping without relaxing stiffness is not my optimum solution. My thoughts are that investing substantial money to soften a hat of modest quality would be poor judgement on my part. Were I to be unable to create a solution that does not involve the equivalent of buying such a hat [a second time??], I would be better served investing in a good hat.

One thing that just crossed my mind, that I'll do when this reply is completed, is to query Stratton. Who knows? They may have a simple solution. Email sent.

Last edited:

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Acetone and naptha is fine for cleaning, but not for removing stiffness. Denaturated alcohol is used as solvent for shellac, so that is what you want to use to dilute the stiffener.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy