Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I cooked a leather jacket

Okay, here's the story; the old CR has been getting too dirty and smelly for some time now, but I was putting up with it until yesterday, when I got home only to find the dog making a bed out of it because the lady forgot to pick it up after she accidentally knocked the chair the jacket was hanging from over. She's like that. So okay, I got all the fancy leather cleaning tools out, brush, rags, Pecard and all, about to start dusting it off first because that's how you properly clean a leather jacket, right, but instead I said yolo and threw the jacket into the washing machine, set it to boiling and went for a cup of coffee. Except that I didn't say yolo because that is a stupid thing to say.

Got home couple of hours later, pulled the jacket out (almost couldn't do it how heavy it was all soaked up) and threw it on the balcony to let it dry, convinced it was done for. But, I tried it on this morning aaand... You be the judge.

Left: Before ......................................... Right: After

As you can see, what happened here is... Awesome! Jacket that was once a good couple of size numbers too large for me is now, IMO, a killer looking CR that fits me perfectly. Only fault I can find with it is that the main zip is a bit wavy but it wasn't all that straight when I got the jacket so it's all good. From what I can tell, no harm done to the jacket.

The technical part - it's an extremely heavy, naked leather with no top coat whatsoever. It just soaks anything right up. I've tried washing leather jackets before with zero results, so I never really had any faith in the HWT. But this jacket lost a good few inches just about anywhere so this s*** actually works! Like a charm, really. Why, how, whether it's the heat or something else, I don't know. But I love my new jacket.

Peacoat

Bartender
You will need to Pecard it to condition the leather and to make it somewhat water resistant.

The soaking up of the water is why I don't do naked cowhide in MC jackets.

Looks as though it worked well for you.

Peacoat, it's already swimming in Pecard, and looking better than ever. But I hear you; I'm not too fond of naked leather either for the same reason. Most of the time I don't even get the chance to wipe the rain off it, how absorbent this type of leather is.

Ksozay, I got it right this time, huh! :D

Oddly so, Worf, the just lost an inch in length and yet it still looks longer than the Aero CR.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
slim jacket with a wavy zipper, it is time to post on styleforum and counting "likes" I say :)

BTW. are those your children book illustrations on the wall?

slim jacket with a wavy zipper, it is time to post on styleforum and counting "likes" I say :)

Oh Lord... You're right. Next thing you know I'll be wearing this:
d3d36558_image.jpeg

If anyone's interested in this experiment of mine, here's an update - this insanity that I have done turned out to be a complete success. The jacket's completely different. It has gotten its shape back, it's my size, it looks cool. Second coat of Pecard has it shining, something I've never managed to achieve before as the naked leather just drank the thing the moment I applied it...

Okay, so, two major changes took place. First, I have to break the jacket in again, same as if it was new jacket, so it's getting some length back at different places (sleeves, etc.). I don't know whether it'll ever be back at it's original size, I hope not.

Secondly, leather isn't nearly as absorbent as it was before, which is a good thing. Nor does it feel spongy and porous as naked leathers do, but like the really good stuff. Feels very much like Vanson's comp. weight. Seems to be very water repellent, at least ATM.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Hokay Monitor... it's now "official"! I'm nominating you to be the forums resident "Mad Scientist". I can see it now cages full of whimpering jackets and hides.... cowering in the background as you and your faithful servant Yeegor ready the various "treatments" in your laboratory. You laughing maniacally:

"IT FITS! IT FITS!"

Before Yeegor drags you away mumbling "yeth master!"

I'll try and see you before the towns people, complete with torches and pitchforks, come to burn down your castle for blaspheming against the laws of man, nature and jacket manufacturers.

Worf

Jägernaut

Practically Family
Jagernaut, I've been looking into it, but I'm $4000 short.

That's horsehide, by the way. Vegetable tanned horse hide - rigor mortis treatment.

No, I'm not making this up: http://gullam.jp/shopping/13363.html
I don't doubt that it is a hit on styleforum. Just say the word and we will get a donation fund started to buy you one of your own.

I once paid $180 for the original reebok pump shoes. Before I left the mall, I felt foolish for having spent so much on shoes and returned them. But at least they looked good. I don't understand how looking homeless can be fashionable and how it can be so expensive.

AmericanIron

One of the Regulars
This jacket looks great man! Really interesting to see how it turned out. IMO looks much better after the soak.

If I can get my wits about me, I might do this with the Schott 1928 75th Anniversary jacket I just traded my old 613 for. It's not yet arrived but at a size 46 it's definitely going to be big on me. This could be the magic answer.

Did you happen to do before/after measurements?

Chest
Waist
Sleeve Length
Shoulders Across
Back Length

Thanks!

lol Worf, I think they'll all be here for me to resize their jackets that the diabolical manufacturers sold them in wrong size purely out of spite.

American Iron, mate, there are no guarantees of course nor would I ever recommend you do this madness but I am so happy with this jacket right now that it's easily become my favorite. Perfect, snug fit all around (and on a 6oz thick jacket it quite literally feels like I'm wearing a suit of armour) and the leather finally has that great, rich and shiny texture to it with a more pronounced grain... Makes me sad that I was waiting this long to do this.

Okay, is the Schott 1928 naked Cowhide? Because I can tell you for a fact that the Boiling Water Treatment might not work very well on Schott Steer (which is basically just a cowhide with a very thick top coat). I've tried it once on a Dur-o-Jac (but on a much lower temperature) and it didn't do jack. So be careful.

Measurements (Before -- After)

Back length: 25" -- 23.4"
Sleeve length: 26" -- 25" (thankfully)
Chest, pit to pit: 23.5" -- 22"
Waist: 19.5" -- 18"
Shoulders: 21.5" -- 19"

Congrats. The dog looks a bit miffed, though, at having lost his aromatic bed.

He's miffed due to being back to the harness regime. I honestly believe that making a nest out of my jacket was his idea of revenge, as normally he'd never touch anything of ours if it ends up on the ground.

Edward

Bartender
Ha. I have two cats who'l sleep on anything, wherever it is, if it looks comfy. If they want to get back at me for anything, they'll just pee on it.... :lol:

kampkatz

Practically Family
Edward, I had two cats, also, r.i.p., and they did baptize a few jackets, leather and wool. The wool was never quite the same after cleaning, but the leather survived.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
John Frum