Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I hate summer.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
When it's too hot to wear the wool, or even a full suit for that matter...

Linen and Seersucker. Off with the jacket and roll up the shirt sleaves. Suspenders and tie help with the old school look. Vintage ties over modern when without the jacket make things look better.

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Summer is tough to do. I see many great examples of summer clothes worn in films and photos from the 1930s and 1940s but, the only vintage I can usually find are the winter pieces. I suppose this might be due to the lighter fabrics wearing out sooner and not lasting as long. Still, rolled up sleeves and suspenders beat the sadly ubiquitous flip-flops and t-shirt any day of the weeK!

Robert Conway

A-List Customer
Yeah, L.A. has been like an oven the past few days.

Too be honest after all of these years in California, I'm getting a little tired of the constant sunshine. For one thing its not just sunshine. We live in a desert out here and on some days the sun is so intense you can just feel it searing you like a roast. The worst part is that after a few years of exposure you end up looking like a saddlebag with eyes. Many of my friends have suffered skin damage.

And as you said, it cramps your dress style.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Summer has bad temptations

When it's 90 or more, it's just too easy to throw on a pair of Dockers and a polo shirt.
No chance at all for layering, interesting fabric combinations, etc. For women, it's easier, I think. More selections.

As Gramma used to say, "In winter you can always put more on if you're cold. But in summer, only so much can come off!"

Anyone else have a strong aversion to short-sleeved dress shirts?

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
scotrace said:
When it's 90 or more, it's just too easy to throw on a pair of Dockers and a polo shirt.
No chance at all for layering, interesting fabric combinations, etc. For women, it's easier, I think. More selections.

As Gramma used to say, "In winter you can always put more on if you're cold. But in summer, only so much can come off!"

I like your Gramma. I say the same thing.

Barry

Practically Family
scotrace said:

Oh gosh, I do not like those at all. I suppose they are a bit cooler...but I think the look is terrible. Reminds me of that movie that came out several years back with the government employee that went nuts - I think he was partial to that look. I cannot remember the name of the movie...featured an actor with a buzz cut, short sleeved shirt and tie and pocket protector, I think.

In Washington, DC during the summer the "shirt and tie" look is very, very popular. It's popular all year round but especially in the summer.

Edit: Off-topic, but I posted ona another forum about talc. I use talc or non-talc based powder almost every day in the summer. It helps quite a bit.

Barry

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
There is always Oxford cloth, very snappy and a bit lighter than my beloved poplin. Sean Connery wore oxford cloth suits in that nice light blue.

At Brooks Bros. outlet, you can get a pair of oxford cloth pants and pair them with a matching jacket for $200 or so.

In the summer, I am a big fan of the blazer and, this being Boston, I even wear one with shorts, those few times I wear shorts.

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think in the old days, people just got used to sweat. ;)

Figures my Indy Magnoli suit would show up on the hottest weekend of the year. (so far, anyway) Fortunately I work nights, so I wore it anyway.

I don't like short sleeves when the sun is blazing, I'll give up spme ventilation in favor of sun protection. The stingy brim stays on the shelf and the broad-brimmed Akubra keeps the sun off my face and neck.

A Cuenca from PanamaBob is on its way, and I'm ready for it. :)

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender
agreed

Robert Conway said:
Yeah, L.A. has been like an oven the past few days.

Too be honest after all of these years in California, I'm getting a little tired of the constant sunshine. For one thing its not just sunshine. We live in a desert out here and on some days the sun is so intense you can just feel it searing you like a roast. The worst part is that after a few years of exposure you end up looking like a saddlebag with eyes. Many of my friends have suffered skin damage.

And as you said, it cramps your dress style.

I lived in LA for most of my life. I don't miss the triple digit heat at all. The high today up here will be 72.

Chad Sanborn

A-List Customer
In the summer I change my dress style. Asheville is a very casual town to begin with. So in the summer I dress in my guayaberra shirts or bowling shirts. I can wear them with jeans, shorts, or khakis. Its not quite from the golden era, but still retro looking.

Chad

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
Barry said:
Oh gosh, I do not like those at all. I suppose they are a bit cooler...but I think the look is terrible. Reminds me of that movie that came out several years back with the government employee that went nuts - I think he was partial to that look. I cannot remember the name of the movie...featured an actor with a buzz cut, short sleeved shirt and tie and pocket protector, I think.

In Washington, DC during the summer the "shirt and tie" look is very, very popular. It's popular all year round but especially in the summer.

Edit: Off-topic, but I posted ona another forum about talc. I use talc or non-talc based powder almost every day in the summer. It helps quite a bit.

Barry

Falling Down with Michael Douglas.

Robert Conway

A-List Customer
Reminds me of that movie that came out several years back with the government employee that went nuts - I think he was partial to that look. I cannot remember the name of the movie...featured an actor with a buzz cut, short sleeved shirt and tie and pocket protector, I think.

'Falling Down' with Michael Douglas.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
love the summer

It really doesn't get too hot here...except maybe during the month of July for a week or two might get some 100+ degree weather. It's very casual here as well, so, if a guy decides to wear a short sleeved dress shirt, that's dressing up :D I agree though that there's only so much you can take off .

Wild Root

Gone Home
I don't care for it... I lose sleep, I sweat more, I don't get inspired to dress up nice... it's just icky sticky! Now, if it were on the dry side, it's not so bad but, it's not on the dry side, it's humid and nasty as can be! :rage:

=WR=

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
I'm from San Francisco originally which has a great climate for vintage wear. If you've ever been there in the summer you'll understand that famous quote from Mark Twain. Now I'm living a bit south of S.F. where it's much warmer. I still try to sport the vintage (including a necktie) as much as I can. As for the short sleeved dress shirt...I admit to having worn them in the past (hangs head in shame) but now they are banished from my wardrobe! I just roll up my sleeves like they used to. Does anyone know when and where the short sleeve dress shirt originated?

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
womenca.jpg

I love the summer. I grew up surfing, so summer brings back so many fond memories for me. One of my favorite looks for summer for men and women is drawstring linen pants or capris with sandals and button up, thin cotton shirts and sandals. In Encinitas we get a lot more "hippies" I guess, mixing different textures and colors and textiles, but always flowy and breezy. It actually looks quite pretty on the girls. It must be hard for you guys, though. I guess it's time to break out the palm beach suits!

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I hate summer more than you do!!...

It's early June. It's 100*(F). There are four more months of hot weather before us. It will get hotter. It will approach 120*(F). The car will be hot. The asphalt will melt. The plants will die. The grass will turn brown. And.... I can't wear my Borsalino without fear of sweat rings and salt stains. I hate summer more than you do. -dixon cannon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner