Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I hate summer.

mrbork

New in Town
No relief in sight...

It's a tradeoff, I suppose. Scotrace, I can relate; I grew up in South Louisiana, have lived in New Orleans for almost twenty years, and have NEVER adjusted to summers here. We may have a break in a couple of months, if luck is on our side. Thank goodness for cotton and linen!:D

jeep44

One of the Regulars
Heh! I'm going to be at a Civil War reenactment tomorrow here in Michigan. Thick wool trousers, wool Domet flannel shirt, lined wool four-button jacket, and a wool cap. Carrying a 10lb. rifle,and all the required accouterments,too. I've worn this very same uniform all day in 101 deg. F heat, and many times in 90+ degrees. Usually it is soaked completely through by the end of the day. By now, it really has that "lived-in" look lol

Short sleeved dress shirts

scotrace said:
Anyone else have a strong aversion to short-sleeved dress shirts?
Actually. I like them when paired with a tie and pocket protector, it gives a fine engineer / geek / nerdyness / I shop at Sears / 'Falling Down" vibe that appeals to me. (For real)

Hal

Practically Family
Since Tuesday, the west of Britain has been sunny and warm, with temperatures up to 25C. After our cool wet summer, this is like a heatwave. I'm very glad I don't live further south!
The real issue in this thread is dealt with by one of the earlier posters - sartorially speaking, it's easier to cope with lower temperatures (something can be done about thermal comfort) than with higher (nothing can be done).
As I prefer to be in control of how warm I am, I prefer the colder seasons any time; also, the clothes mentioned by Orgetorix and Scotrace as their favourites are also mine. Roll on the autumn!

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Just an observation:

Most girls looks better in the summer. (With not so much - and light - clothes on)
And most men looks better in the fall/winter (With lots of heavy clothes on)
Just wondering...:D

Mimi

New in Town
It's been awful here, first a week of rain, then punishing heat and humidity for two days, now back to the hot/humid AND rain.

Mostly, I've stayed inside, but when I have to go out, it's in either a cotton sundress or circle skirt and sleeveless blouse.

I agree that women have it easier in the heat. The husband has been abjectly miserable, as he's a Police Man. The best they get is short sleeves.

It's even been too hot to have the top down on the new car. I hate that.

That Southern California Thing.

Here in sunny So Cal, we have a wide array of weather all in the broadcast range of the major TV stations. Temps that can range a whole bunch for sure. For a good portion of the LA area we have the Beaches and they tend to be cooler in the Summer and warmer in the Winter because of the Oceans influence. We get the Alaskan flow bringing cool water down to us so the sea temps will barely break 70 degrees F in the summer and that makes for cooler temps with an on shore breeze. So say it hits 78 at the beach, If you go inland about 10 miles it will be about 88 degrees like in LA city area then as you go in further you hit a set of hills and wind up in the valley area either San Fernando Valley or San Gabriel for the most part and the temps will go up another 10 degrees to about 98 or a little higher. If you live in the desert areas add about another 5-10 so now it is in the 100's. If your in the mountains depending on how high it can drop a bunch and be between the 70's-80's.

So in one day you could drive and have a range of almost 30 degrees for afternoon highest tempuratures!

Most nights the temps cn drop 20-30 degrees where ever you are. Strange as it may seem going from 100 down to 75 you think about putting on a sweater.

In the LA area 100 degree weather comes regularly and will stay for a couple of days or for over a week, so when it breaks and you get 80's you really feel relieved. We have great evenings out here most of the time and most areas have few bugs flying around at night so you can enjoy being outside BBQing and entertaining friends.

Several times a year we get "Santa Ana Wind Conditions" where a high pressure system sits over the desert and pushes air over the moutains thru the passes and it gets HOT usually Hot and Dry. Often pretty breezy in areas but HOT. The kind of hot where you walk outside and you'd swear you're under a restaurant broiler going full tilt. When this is going it stays hot at night too. Stock lotsa ice and make sure the AC works.

When it's hot it's hard to dress up, I sweat enough as it is, sometimes it seems like punishment.

Anyway, summer can be tough during the day but most evenings are much better for entertaining.

Walking in LA - nobody walks in LA.

M L Correa

New in Town
My city (Brasilia) stays in a sub-tropical area. It should have a warm temperature most of the year, but thankfully for its altitude (1.000 meters) and particularly the dry air it is quite easy to deal with the heat (something like 25 to 28 degrees Celsius). You just have to stay away from the sun. Any shadow gives you a "safe haven" even when wearing a suit, which by the way is my case (I have a suit job). In humid places in my country, such as in the Amazon basin and in the Atlantic coast cities, it is not a good idea to wear suits. Somebody should invent a formal dress for humid/tropical places. I have a question for you all people: in summer time men are supposed to wear straw hats. Ok. But is it correct to wear the same straw hat in evening appointments ? I believe that if you live in a place that is in the summer season but has a mild and dry evenings, why not allow men to wear light felt hats ?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Spitfire said:
Just an observation:

Most girls looks better in the summer. (With not so much - and light - clothes on)
And most men looks better in the fall/winter (With lots of heavy clothes on)
Just wondering...:D
KS15113.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner