Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I hate summer.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
cookie

ay ay cap'n and all me 'earties. T'anks to all of ye! Having had a nice Thai meal and a glass or two of Aussies finest sav/blanc I am feeling ready for a spot of chat in the Lounge Bar.

SGB

One of the Regulars
I hate winter

I love summer, always have. We moved from Northern CA to Southern AZ 2 years ago and I even like summer here. Sandals, shorts, and a t-shirt everyday, no problem. Hawaiian shirts to go out in, and no snowbirds clogging up everything. We go to Jamaica a lot, it's the perfect weather, I could live in weather like that forever. It's too cold here now (60's), can't wait for summer.

SGB

Feraud

Bartender
Orgetorix said:
Somebody recently mentioned that the composition of the cloth's fiber blend was never released and, therefore, may be lost now.
If a Palm Beach suit exists then the fiber blend can be anayzed.
Whether there is a market for the production of the fiber is another story...

Gotro

New in Town
Zemke Fan said:
TO:........Cookie; Gotro
RE:.........Welcome Aboard!

The Captain, crew, and bartenders of the SS Fedora Lounge
hereby welcome you aboard the cruise that never ends (for
people who never sleep). You may present this memo at any
of our splendiferous bars and receive a free cocktail of your
choosing.

Please remember to treat your fellow passengers with courtesy
and grace and try to keep the spitting off the rail to an absolute
minimum. And one more thing, it may be summer in Australia
and/or Corpus Christi, but the rest of us are freezing our keisters
off, so show some respect! Kay?

That is all. Carry on.

Sorry mate, I'll try to show a little more sympathy. About that drink, how 'bout a mint julep ;)

SGB said:
I love summer, always have. We moved from Northern CA to Southern AZ 2 years ago and I even like summer here. Sandals, shorts, and a t-shirt everyday, no problem. Hawaiian shirts to go out in, and no snowbirds clogging up everything. We go to Jamaica a lot, it's the perfect weather, I could live in weather like that forever. It's too cold here now (60's), can't wait for summer.

SGB

Yep, its too cold here now as well but the nights can get down to half your temperatures. :eek: I could live in decent weather forever as well. Snow stinks. :p

Regards,

J

MattJH

One Too Many
Found this doing my usual Fedora Lounge archive searches, and I couldn't agree more. It doesn't have anything to do with the limitations in which I dress since I don't dress "vintage," but I think I have the opposite of what's often termed "Seasonal Affective Disorder" for people who get depressed during the winter -- I get depressed during the summer.

I have no appetite. I can barely sleep. I never want to go outside. I get cranky and snappy like a child who missed a nap. There are certain areas of the country where I'm sure summer is perfectly endurable, but Philadelphia is not one of them. July and August is essentially one giant, undulating ball of miserable hot/hazy/humid 95 degree day sweatfests. I spend most of these days laying supine on the linoleum kitchen floor by the central air vent, eyes shut tight with visions of sugarplums dancing in my head to distract me from the harsh truth.

The only time I enjoy hot weather is when I'm at the New Jersey shore, and that's only because I've got an entire ocean to cool myself off in when it becomes too intense.

I love snow. I love cinnamon and nutmeg. I love fireplaces and hot cocoa. I love sledding and snowballs and Christmas and yule-anything. I can't stand mosquitos, I can't stand struggling to breathe the tepid, suffocating atmosphere. A Philadelphia summer is suitable only to cactii and lizards, not human beings.

You can have your soupweather and your melanoma. Give me blizzards, frozen pipes, gray skies, furnace problems, and snow forts anyday. There is no sound more beautiful than the sound of Mother Nature insulated after a freshly-fallen snow, and no sound more dreadful than a seagull's cry warning you that it's all over again for another season.

Thank goodness it's still February!

P.S. - I hate Easter, too -- the opposite of Christmas, not only in religious belief, but in weather. Besides, pastels are ugly and jellybeans are terrible.

Dumbjaw said:
Found this doing my usual Fedora Lounge archive searches, and I couldn't agree more. It doesn't have anything to do with the limitations in which I dress since I don't dress "vintage," but I think I have the opposite of what's often termed "Seasonal Affective Disorder" for people who get depressed during the winter -- I get depressed during the summer.

I have no appetite. I can barely sleep. I never want to go outside. I get cranky and snappy like a child who missed a nap. There are certain areas of the country where I'm sure summer is perfectly endurable, but Philadelphia is not one of them. July and August is essentially one giant, undulating ball of miserable hot/hazy/humid 95 degree day sweatfests. I spend most of these days laying supine on the linoleum kitchen floor by the central air vent, eyes shut tight with visions of sugarplums dancing in my head to distract me from the harsh truth.

The only time I enjoy hot weather is when I'm at the New Jersey shore, and that's only because I've got an entire ocean to cool myself off in when it becomes too intense.

I love snow. I love cinnamon and nutmeg. I love fireplaces and hot cocoa. I love sledding and snowballs and Christmas and yule-anything. I can't stand mosquitos, I can't stand struggling to breathe the tepid, suffocating atmosphere. A Philadelphia summer is suitable only to cactii and lizards, not human beings.

You can have your soupweather and your melanoma. Give me blizzards, frozen pipes, gray skies, furnace problems, and snow forts anyday. There is no sound more beautiful than the sound of Mother Nature insulated after a freshly-fallen snow, and no sound more dreadful than a seagull's cry warning you that it's all over again for another season.

Thank goodness it's still February!

P.S. - I hate Easter, too -- the opposite of Christmas, not only in religious belief, but in weather. Besides, pastels are ugly and jellybeans are terrible.

As long as I don't hear one word of complaint about how cold it is there now, you can love winter that is below freezing. Enjoy. :eusa_doh: [huh]
It is a balmy 57 degrees here today with a possibility to go to only 42 degrees this evening. If it wasn't for the rain and it being below 75 degrees, I would love it. :p

Regards,

J

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Ready for Cold

I am tired of seeking shelter from the oppressive humidity. Constant AC is playing havoc with my sinuses. Making the bedroom cool enough for really deep slumber is all but impossible. The flowers are drooping, and, like them, I can't seem to soak up enough water. The lawn burned up weeks ago, allowing the spider plants and crabgrass to reassert their natural place at the top of the chain. My children emerge from the no-AC school building soaked with sweat, pale and dehydrated. Their teachers look worse.

When the breeze brings that hint of chill, the leaves begin to rust around the edges, that will be a good day. The wood for the fireplace is stacked and dry. The down comforter just needs fluffing and tossed over the sheets. Let me oil the mower and forget it is there until May.

There are two new heavy vintage overcoats to be worn, along with some new thirties trouser copies. The heavy felts are tired of their boxes and will be ready to move out to make way for the straws.

I'm ready for winter.

scotrace said:
I am tired of seeking shelter from the oppressive humidity. Constant AC is playing havoc with my sinuses. Making the bedroom cool enough for really deep slumber is all but impossible. The flowers are drooping, and, like them, I can't seem to soak up enough water. The lawn burned up weeks ago, allowing the spider plants and crabgrass to reassert their natural place at the top of the chain. My children emerge from the no-AC school building soaked with sweat, pale and dehydrated. Their teachers look worse.

When the breeze brings that hint of chill, the leaves begin to rust around the edges, that will be a good day. The wood for the fireplace is stacked and dry. The down comforter just needs fluffing and tossed over the sheets. Let me oil the mower and forget it is there until May.

There are two new heavy vintage overcoats to be worn, along with some new thirties trouser copies. The heavy felts are tired of their boxes and will be ready to move out to make way for the straws.

I'm ready for winter.

I am ready for summer here. Still haven't got it yet. Send some please. I could use some of that hot weather. :( Darn it. California is getting gyped this year. :eusa_doh:
It might get to 80 at the height of the day but it drops like a rock to 56 at night. PU. This is Christmas weather for us. :confused:

Regards,

J

jgilbert

One of the Regulars
It is now the 24th of the month and we have had 1 under 90 and 7 over 100.

You can iron and press all you like. However after about a 1/2 hr out, it looks as if your slept in your suit.

It has been slacks and a polo for me since mid July!

PA Dancer

A-List Customer
I am not ready for fall or winter. I dread the thought of it.
: (

I plan on packing up the summer clothes this weekend and doing my seasonal rotation into my fall clothes.

How depresssing.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Maenwhile it's the equivalent of February in Australia, and they're griping about cold miserable weather down there.
In New York this weekend it's going to be 90 AGAIN on Saturday! Luckily I'll be in the Catskills, where it will only be 80, with like 80% humidity. I'll have to constantly remind myself how much worse it could be.
And every time I take a shower or make toast or wash my hands with warm water, I feel like I'm destroying the whole world with CO2! Oy!

Kishtu

Practically Family
Have to say I hate summer (pale redheads+unexpected sunlight=abject misery - I once spent the day at a rock festival in a vest top and cut-off jeans (over leggings,mind!), and had to have a week off work with the resulting peel'n'blister) and now I hate it more than ever as for medical reasons my home sweetie isn't allowed to go out into the sun without at least Factor 30 or a broad-brimmed hat.

So we've both spent the past few days unable to leave the house.... :rage:

epr25

Practically Family
It also has been very hot and humid here. I am not wanting it to be much below 40. That makes wearing a skirt (largest part of my wardrobe) a littel uncomfortable. But thos heat has got to go. I want my hair back. I am tired of the ponytail!

Bebop

Practically Family
Summer lasting 8-10 months out of the year while I sit and stare at my wonderful hats, jackets, overcoats and boots, is one of the reasons I left So. Ca. I would love to find a place on this earth where winter hovers at around 35-40 fahrenheit and lasts 8 months and summer at around 70 or so. That would make me very comfortable. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner