Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I hate summer.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Dixon Cannon said:
I hate summer more than you do. -dixon cannon

Wana bet? Hahahaha

Well, I'm a guy who gets really tired just by the humidity and well, when I get tired and lethargic I'm no good to any one! I'll lay down on the couch and never get up! It's like being tied to a grand piano and dragging it all over town... I don't even try and wear a suit during the day or even at night, I just wear a long sleeved shirt rolled up and a neck tie... some times. Linen 30's pants and ivory colored gab pants are my #1 choice! I can't stand the thought of wearing a suit at all right now! I also have no where to go to wear them at... my new Job isn't a suit job and well, thank goodness for that. Suits are my favorite but, this heat is just evil!

Summer, BAH! You can keep it! Oh, and all the punk kids are filling up all the amusement and recreation parks and restaurants... Arrrg! Do I sound like a grumpy 80 year old? Yes I do!

=WR=

Wild Root

Gone Home
Well, it has been more humid here then it should be... trust me, it's mostly dry here but as of late, it's not as bad as some of you guys have it but, for us CA's it's not something we're used to so, it takes it's toll on those of us who don't have to deal with it. Savy?

=WR=

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
Our humidity is legendary.:p

I'll have to find a vintage photo of one of our old (40's-50's) sadly missing drive in's, they actually had one that had airconditioning ducts for the cars that were parked.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Sefton said:
<clip> As for the short sleeved dress shirt...I admit to having worn them in the past (hangs head in shame) but now they are banished from my wardrobe! I just roll up my sleeves like they used to. Does anyone know when and where the short sleeve dress shirt originated?

As my grandparents and Mom hammered into me from a VERY early age, there is no such thing as a short-sleeved dress shirt. Dad felt otherwise...but he also thought clip-on ties were the bee's knees, too.

Wild Root said:
Yes, you shouldlol now, remember, this old fashioned man has no A/C in his home or car... so yeah, I hate summer!

=WR=

lol

I don't run the A/C. Could be part of the problem, i guess. (but the power in my town is from a coal power station. Dirty, stinking, Indiana sulphur-filled, can't be sold on the world market, coal at that. Not running A/C is my bit for the environment).

bk

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Tomasso said:
I lived in Houston for a few years. Their summers are as bad as it gets on this planet.

I might contend that the Amazon basin is slightly more humid and disguistingly hot then Houston. And most people and places there, do not have the benefit of air conditioning, which I do beleive Houston possesses.

Having lived in the Amazon for a year or so, its pretty bad...but you get used to it at some point.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Yeah. I agree. There's nothing quite like the heat in Brazil- and the closest I was to the Amazon was only in Cuiaba.

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
It's said that we are the most airconditioned city in the nation.

In the old days we had more in common with the Amazon, since Buffalo Bayou and the surrounding swamp areas were so bad, even the Karankawa Indians fled the vicinity a couple of hundred years ago.

Feraud

Bartender
I am not a big fan of Summer and rationalize the heat by saying it is the reason we have straw hats, linen material, and Guayabera shirts. ;)

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
And Aloha shirts.:D

PaliDiamondhead.jpg

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Zach R. said:
Air-Conditioning: even though I love the Golden Era, I still love my AC.

I was born in '88 and I love *all* my new-fangled gadgets, so sue me. :p

Yes, sir! You betcha if they woulda had it they woulda used it ;)

Wild Root

Gone Home
Ummmm, they did have A/C in the 30's and 40's... not quite what it is today but, they did it!

Read the banner on this movie house!

theatre8ii.jpg

AC was mostly just large blocks of ice that had fans circulate the cool air that came off of them, it was primitive but it did work.;) They did this in movie houses and some Rail Roads did it too. You could pay extra and sit in a air-conditioned passenger car, mostly the president of the RR had air cooled Pullmans. Then by the late 40's AC was more sophisticated and was being used in most commercial and business type structures. AC in the home didn't come till the 50's and 60's but, as early as the 40's there were small wall units that could be bought... yeah, they didn't really work too well but, they helped. The swamp cooler has been around for a wile but, in some cases doesn't work if there's a high humidity factor.

AC in cars was toyed with as early as 1941, one could pay extra for AC if they bought a Chrysler, it was very expensive and the unit took up the whole trunk! It started to become an accessory by the 50's.

=WR=

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred