Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I hate summer.

Robert Conway

A-List Customer
Oh, look, it's another perfect sunny day, another prefect 75 F day in the sun... oh man, wish it would storm or something... I'm so board. lol

=WR=

You got it brother! After nearly 15 years of perfect California sunshine I dream of snow, rain and fall leaves.

Recently I was on vacation in Europe and the hotel staff thought I was nuts because I was out all day in the foulest weather and would come back with a big grin on my face.

Got to move, I've been here too long.;)

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
30's AC

I just read that FDR wouldn't allow the AC to be turned on in the White House or at Hyde Park, or his residence at Warm Springs, if he had a fireside chat scheduled. He had terrible sinus troubles and the air conditioning made it worse; he didn't want to sound nasal when he spoke. So all the staff grumbled about having their clothes stuck to them (FDR too). But he sounded cool as a cucumber on the radio, always.

candy1.jpg

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Air conditioning killed the paperweight

Haversack said:
And there were a lot of windows which could be opened for ventilation. The floor plans also promoted this. You would commonly have a central hall off of which offices would open. An office would consist of an outer office and an inner office. There would also be transoms above every door. From hallway to outer office to inner office. These would be opened to permit cross ventilation of the hottest air.

Paperweights were a necessity in pre-AC buildings because there would often be quite a breeze(hopefully) racing through the building, with ceiling and table fans going full tilt. A small office would need a dozens, a large one hundreds. Their design ranged from simple utilitarian to opulent and exotic. They were sold at all price-points by purveyors from Woolworth's to Cartier. Then AC came along and they joined the buffalo.

Haversack

One Too Many
Yep. I still have several sueded-leather, lead-shot filled paper weights of the type which used to be pretty standard in architecture and engineering offices. Some of them were my dad's from when he was a civil engineer with the state. They are particularly useful when you have to go out to a job site and spread the rolled drawings out on the hood of your truck or car. The weights have enough mass to hold large sheets of paper down and are soft and flexible to not mar the drawings.

Another of those little stylistic things which actually had a practial purpose: Bow Ties: If you are an architect or engineer who works over a drafting table, you usually work without your jacket on and sometimes your sleves rolled or gartered up. A bow tie has the advantage of not trailing accross your work and acting as a partial eraser and ink sponge. Thus in England, there is an architect/cartooninst named Louis Hellman whose cartoon architect characteristically wears a bow tie.

Haversack

Michaelson

One Too Many
The introduction of a/c also allowed the lowering of standard story/ceiling height from 10-12 feet to 8, as the extra overhead area was no longer required to allow hot air to rise, leaving cooler air at floor level where folks were sitting. In the DEEP South, standard ceiling height was up to 16 feet to allow for the hot muggy air that gathered in rooms.

Regards! Michaelson

Wild Root

Gone Home
Who said anything about snow or rain? I sure didn't! I just like my summers to stay in the 75-90 range... none of this 100+ crappola! Way too hot for me man, blaaah! Icky!

=WR=

Wild Root

Gone Home
Oh yeah, must be nice up there in the cool part of the state! Wish we all could be so lucky to live in the nice part where it don't get hot as hell! I'd trade ya any day.

If you want it worm, come on down, you're the next contestant on the... "Heat is crazy"

=WR=

Wild Root said:
Oh yeah, must be nice up there in the cool part of the state! Wish we all could be so lucky to live in the nice part where it don't get hot as hell! I'd trade ya any day.

If you want it worm, come on down, you're the next contestant on the... "Heat is crazy"

=WR=

Hahahahahah! But would you be willing to trade the environment and live so close to San Franfreako? lol
I'll be down there in November. ;) :D

Regards,

J

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
jamespowers said:
Bring on summer to my area. It is still cool here. There will be a few days that get warm and then they disappear into gray or cool days. I want my summer like it used to be here---hot. :D
You fellas can keep your snow and rain. :eusa_doh: I love summer. :) :eusa_clap

Regards,

J
Mark Twain said the coldest winter he ever experienced was a summer in San Francisco. When was it ever hot in San Francisco?:rolleyes:

Wild Root

Gone Home
jamespowers said:
Hahahahahah! But would you be willing to trade the environment and live so close to San Franfreako? lol
I'll be down there in November. ;) :D

Regards,

J

San Franfreako eh? Well, must I remind you that west Hollywood and most parts of the state aren't too far off from the epicenter of well, alternative life styles? Yeah, the whole state is pretty... well, you know, flamboyant.

=WR=

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Michaelson said:
The introduction of a/c also allowed the lowering of standard story/ceiling height from 10-12 feet to 8, as the extra overhead area was no longer required to allow hot air to rise, leaving cooler air at floor level where folks were sitting. In the DEEP South, standard ceiling height was up to 16 feet to allow for the hot muggy air that gathered in rooms.

Regards! Michaelson

I stayed in a 1840's plantation house of my freinds parents in Louisville. The house had really high ceilings and the house and kitchen were originally buildings. In the 1920's the two were connected to create the dining room. There also was a creek that flowed through their property and straddling the creek was a small "summer shed" with open planked floors to cool the place down.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Michaelson said:

The high ceilings were also needed to provide space for ceiling fans.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Wild Root said:

=WR=

Now, you whish to converse about heat? The summer weather in the Paso Robles, CA area is the roasting kind. Right now we're experiencing a bit of a cool down, but the tripple digits will be back with a vengence in the next month. Its the best time to take advantage of linen and Pismo Beach. Thank the Good Lord for our AC.

Cheers!

Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buick