Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I need a visual aid! Rag curls?

K

killertomata

I've searched and been unable to find any images or video of someone doing rag curls. I very much want to try rag curls now that my hair is only waist length- I just had 15 inches cut and now it's easier to work with.

Reading the directions on a few sites has me a little confused so I was hoping to just see some images of someone with longer hair actually wrapping the hair in/with/around or ? the rag.

It shouldn't be so confusing! Anyone know where I can find a tutorial with pics or a video?

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
To use rag curls, you roll the hair around the rag just like you would any other roller, starting with the ends. You may want to try pillow rollers - they're just like rag curlers except they snap at the ends so you don't have to worry about tying the ends together.

K

killertomata

Now why couldn't anyone else put it nice and simple like that?

Thank you.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
No problem! These are the ones I use - http://www.sallybeauty.com/shop/2210/679000.

If you want more of a ringlet, once you have the ends tucked in, you should roll the hair so that it's spiraling around the roller from one end to the other. Does that make sense? With each turn of the roller, the hair should be laying next to the roller rather than on top of more hair. For a softer curl, you can roll them normally. I'm pretty sure there's more about this in the instructions that come with the rollers.

Since you have such long hair, be sure to do a dry set and don't forget the setting lotion!

PA Dancer

A-List Customer
Rag Curl Warning!

I love the way my hair turns out when I do Rag Curls.
But that wasn't always the case.

I cut a cotton towel (or you can use a t-shirt) into one inch strips about 7 inches long. Wrap my hair and curl under...to chin level, tie them and sleep in them.

They are the only thing that will hold an all day curl in my hair. I use Dove hair gel on wet hair before I wrap them.
(I'll post a pic next time I do them)

When I frist started putting rags in my hair, I wrapped them all the way to the scalp. When I took the rags out the next day I looked like a sheep! or a poodle! Use what ever image works for you. lol

My hair is long and very thick but baby fine. I have learned the more hair I put in one rag keeps a very nice curl. (I use about 10-12 in my hair)

The best part of wearing rags for the night is the humor my male roomate gets out of it. heehee. It's always good for a laugh!

Renee

Familiar Face
When my hair was long, I used to do a "scrunchie bun" roller set. I would start in the evening with freshly washed hair, and then let it air-dry until it was just barely damp to the touch; just a hint of dampness, really. I never used setting lotion because my hair curls easily but if yours is hard to curl then you might want to try it.

Then I would comb all of my hair up into a very high ponytail, right on top of the crown of my head (more towards the front than the back) and secure it with a soft scrunchie. (Make sure you comb the hair smoothly, so there are no lumps or bumps against your scalp.) Usually just two loops of the scrunchie was all I used - you want the scrunchie to hold, but not be too tight and leave a line.

Then I would divide my hair hanging in the ponytail into about 8-10 sections and then roll each section right up to the scrunchie. I used pink foam rollers, but those pillow-type rollers or rag curlers would be fine, too.

Sometimes I would secure the rollers with a fine hair net (to keep them from bobbling around), others times I'd just let them be. Then I'd go to sleep and let my hair finish drying overnight. Because the rollers were on the top of my head and not the sides I could sleep very comfortably in the them.

In the morning, I would remove the rollers and the scrunchie, and brush out my curls. I would have fullness at the roots because of my hair being pulled up in the ponytail overnight, and the curls were very natural looking. This method is also nice in case you roll your hair unevenly, because the curls aren't starting right at your scalp.

The trick to this method is making sure you don't start with too-wet hair. But once you recognize just how little dampness is needed it's so easy and produces beautiful curls!

Renee

Familiar Face
PA Dancer said:
Rag Curl Warning!

When I frist started putting rags in my hair, I wrapped them all the way to the scalp. When I took the rags out the next day I looked like a sheep! or a poodle! Use what ever image works for you. lol

Yes, I learned the hard way, too. :p That's why I liked my "scrunchie bun" set so much!

PA Dancer

A-List Customer
roselily said:
Has anyone tried the heated rag rollers?

I have been searching high and low for them at every store in my area.

They are the Remington Rag Curlers.
I even called Remington to see where I can buy them.

They said if I didn't have any luck finding them I can get them directly from Remington. I still have a few more places I can check before I have to buy them on line.

I can't wait to try them out.

http://www.remington-products.com/haircare/set_h-2032.htm

PA Dancer

A-List Customer
Renee said:
When my hair was long, I used to do a "scrunchie bun" roller set.

Heehee...my mom always told me to do my hair this way. I've tried it a few times with the curlers and with rags and I never get enough curl.

I used these big rollers that have almost a velcro like feeling to them. They say it's to help them stay in the hair. But I notice when I take them out, it's almost as if they are combing out the curl as I pull them out.

Has anyone seen these magnetic rollers?

K

killertomata

Oops, thank you! I should have started it there.

I am looking forward to using all these tips. I plan on curling only about the bottom half of my hair this way, so it should work out well.

~*Red*~

Practically Family
roselily said:
Has anyone tried the heated rag rollers?

I really love the heated rag rollers. I have two sets because one isn't enough for all of my hair. I don't know if you have one by you, but I got mine at ULTA. You may want to see if they carry them in their online store.
I need something solid to roll my hair around and these are perfect for me, not too big of a diameter either.

K

killertomata

Remington has an outlet site and features the heated rag rollers. I think I will shop around but I will probably end up ordering these.

ULTA does have great prices! $15 less than the Remington Outlet site.

Rainbow

Familiar Face
I have the electric rag rollers, but they don't seem to curl very well. What am I doing wrong? Maybe I'm using too much hair in a curler.

~*Red*~

Practically Family
I find that if I use less hair and some hair spray, my curls stay tighter. Today I used about 4 less curlers than normal, and I only used Royal Crown dressing in my hair, so I got a looser curl, but it was VERY SOFT AND SHINY.:D It didn't fall out very much, but I am sure that in the morning, there will not be much left. When I use the spray and more curlers, it will stay about 3 or 4 days. I'll post a pic in a few days when I get back from our trip.

PA Dancer

A-List Customer
Rainbow said:
I have the electric rag rollers, but they don't seem to curl very well. What am I doing wrong? Maybe I'm using too much hair in a curler.

Are you putting anything (product) in your hair to help hold the curl?

I use Dove Hair Gel. It's really light weight and doesn't leave your hair "crunchy."

Rainbow

Familiar Face
Hi PA Dancer....should I put the gel in my hair while it's damp, or wait until it's dry? I always get such good, helpful information here. It seems my mind goes into "stupid mode" when it comes to my hair....hehe....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner