Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I recruited one.

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
lol Dude not helping my argument right now!
huggy-bear3.jpg

Did someone mention the 70's?

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It's amazing the level of ignorance parents display anymore when they think that only a pimp is supposed to wear a brimmed hat. Do they still live in the 70's? I suppose they believe everything they see on TV, and if that is the extent of their cultural education, Lord help us all.
I suppose I can understand it if they think of the the old gangsters and detectives from back in the day, but again that was the movies.

Dan

I think it is up to modern hat-wearers to expand the concept of who can wear a wide-brimmed hat. I for one take encouragement from your own photos and commentary. That's why I like to see others wear wide-brimmed hats. There are a lot of spaces available for non-pimp and non-gangster wearing of wide brims. I doubt anyone would mistake me, or you, for one of those guys. I think observers would mainly say, "there's a guy with a wide-brimmed hat." Now within that, there are flamboyant hats and clothes to go with them that would support the pimp/gangster image. But that can be easily avoided. So I'm not bothered by sellers calling their hats those things. Who cares, I think to myself.

fmw

One Too Many
I think it is up to modern hat-wearers to expand the concept of who can wear a wide-brimmed hat. I for one take encouragement from your own photos and commentary. That's why I like to see others wear wide-brimmed hats. There are a lot of spaces available for non-pimp and non-gangster wearing of wide brims. I doubt anyone would mistake me, or you, for one of those guys. I think observers would mainly say, "there's a guy with a wide-brimmed hat." Now within that, there are flamboyant hats and clothes to go with them that would support the pimp/gangster image. But that can be easily avoided. So I'm not bothered by sellers calling their hats those things. Who cares, I think to myself.

I don't care either. I just wondered who the target market was for what I would view as negative advertising. I got an order today from someone with an email address that began with pimpdaddygo. I guess that's the target market. :)

fmw

One Too Many
I do hope you pointed him in the direction of the Fedora Lounge as well.

No, sorry, I didn't want to take any more time. The salesman was patient enough with my interrupting him. I didn't want to overdo it. He's definitely an internet surfer so he may show up one day with his new Whippet.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
IThere are a lot of spaces available for non-pimp and non-gangster wearing of wide brims. I doubt anyone would mistake me, or you, for one of those guys. I think observers would mainly say, "there's a guy with a wide-brimmed hat."
But. Speaking as an avoider of wide brims myself, I really believe it's subtler than just Mack Daddy or Pizza Godfather. Speaking generally, I can think of religiously observant (several flavors), agricultural, horsey, backwoodsy, or just Off The Grid.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR