Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I want a Straw hat !!!

Al_Ojeda

Familiar Face
Just to share with you this pics I found,,, what a beuties !!! :D

strawhat.jpg

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
Those are some spiffy straws. I too would like the back story to this. Why are they all holding out hats like that? Why aren't they on my doorstep doing that? :D

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
Looks like the late 50's to early 60's. The Ames Tribune of Ames, Iowa? Looks like it could be. Older gentleman's looking for a new hat? Rarely wears one, his employees are offering up theirs for him to choose one? It's almost the end of May and he hasn't picked out a straw hat yet? The hats are definitely a big part of the story. Nice old photograph. I love the hats, clothes and the cars of that time.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Chuck Bobuck said:
Looks like the late 50's to early 60's. The Ames Tribune of Ames, Iowa? Looks like it could be. Older gentleman's looking for a new hat? Rarely wears one, his employees are offering up theirs for him to choose one? It's almost the end of May and he hasn't picked out a straw hat yet? The hats are definitely a big part of the story. Nice old photograph. I love the hats, clothes and the cars of that time.
What interests me is that only in 2010, I believe, would there be some interest in this picture. By now those hats are so far out they are in again. During my younger years, I would have run from that style with alarming speed. No one of my age group in my younger years would have wanted to be painted with the brush that that style of hats conjures up, because of the "generation gap," as we used to say. But by 2010, this style is so far gone that it doesn't conjure up anything, no more negative "older generation" associations, and so the style can be evaluated cleanly. So in 2010 I can say those hats look pretty good.

Al_Ojeda

Familiar Face
Here the same pic from another angle.... aparently was an article about straw hat day from 1958

strawhat2.jpg

some more pic about straw hat day from other years

strawday1.jpg

strawday2.jpg

"For many years prior to origination of Hey Day in 1916, the principal spring celebration for undergraduates was "Straw Hat Day". Straw Hat Day was the second Saturday of each May, the special event of the day being a baseball game with Princeton. At the time, there was strict observance of the tradition that a higher education deserves appropriate dress. Thus, when students went to baseball games, they generally wore tailored suits, shirts with collars and neckties, garters and hats. On Straw Hat Day, the usual felt hats were laid aside and the students appeared in straw hats. Straw Hat Day was so widely accepted in Philadelphia that no one in the city dared wear a straw hat before that day."

http://www.archives.upenn.edu/histy/features/traditions/heyday/straw_hat.html

I want to go back in time :(

AlterEgo

A-List Customer
Al_Ojeda said:
Just to share with you this pics I found,,, what a beuties !!! :D

strawhat.jpg

Great straws. Definitely a case of "What is old is new again."

Did you know the third guy from the left is the orginal nerd?

Y'all can have the stingies; I'll take the Buick in the background. I've a friend who restored one very similar to it. It took several pounds of chromium to re-chrome that front bumper.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
AlterEgo said:
Did you know the third guy from the left is the original nerd?
And he's wearing a silk suit. Some nerds they had back then................

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot