Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

In praise of the meatball sandwich!

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Yes, that's right! I know this is the connoisseur section but a well prepared meatball sandwich is more than worthy of the classification, IMO. It just gets short shrift; that's all I'm sayin'......:essen:

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I'm also a devoted fan of the meatball sandwich (which is generally called a meatball wedge in the northern NYC area).

Also sausage and peppers, preferably while standing in the street at an Italian festival!

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I, too, am a meatball sandwich lover. But Imust say, I'm often disappointed. There are a lot of nasty meatballs out there.
May I also say that I'm a meatloaf sandwich fan as well, preferably on rye bread with plenty of ketchup (tho really good meatloaf shouldn't need much ketchup.)
And to broaden the discussion ever further, how about good old bread and gravy? And that quintessential vintage dish, biscuits and gravy?

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
dhermann1 said:
I, too, am a meatball sandwich lover. But Imust say, I'm often disappoainted. There are a lot of nasty meatballs out there.
May I also say that I'm a meatloaf sandwich fan as well, preferably on rye bread with plenty of ketchup (tho really good meatloaf shouldn't need much ketchup.)
And to broaden the discussion ever further, how about good old bread and gravy? And that quintessential vintage dish, biscuits and gravy?
My family frowns on my predilection for bread & gravy, bread & drippin's, and such. After the lean years it apparently got to be a bit déclassé.

I prefer meatloaf sammiches to meatball ones (many of the latter are structurally unsound). If no gravy is to be had, just mayo please.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
meatball subs are fantastic, especially with the meatballs and sauce from the big pot slowly cooking on the stove, and fresh italian bread...
Now I am hungry again, and I just ate.

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
dhermann1 said:

I love me a cold meatloaf sandwich with only the ketchup that was originally on it when prepared the night before. Meatloaf, like fried chicken and revenge, is best served cold.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
I'm so lost here ... you mean a meatball sandwich like this more or less?
How can you eat that? the things will roll out .... it's almost impossible to eat that in peace!!!!! That's totally wrong!!!! :eek: lol

Pic_HMS_367x300_1.jpg

This is how one eat meatballs! this is how it's done ...with spaghetti for heavens sake!!!!! ;) :D (and in my case ... since i don't eat red meat i used minced chicken , so there you go :D )

Yum!
spaghetti-meatballs-ay-1875344-l.jpg

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
HadleyH said:
you mean a meatball sandwich like this more or less?
That's one lame looking MB sandwich. :(

This is more what I'm talkin' bout.:essen:

070123_1.jpg

BTW, the meatballs in today's MB sandwich often began as last nights spaghetti and meatball dinner.;)

IMG_7088.JPG

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
HadleyH said:
BUT ONLY WITH SPAGHETII That's how it was meant to be! No other way will do :p lol
I guess I won't even bother to ask how you feel about a Chicken Parmesan sandwich........:rolleyes:

eatingwell_recipe_5743_lg.jpg

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Grilled Chicken meatballs

.... with salad they are nice too, also with rice!:D

I might be going a bit off topic here, I apologize, but chicken meatballs Yakitori are quite delicious ! they are grilled or broiled! Little calories very yummy! :)

0081szChickenTsukuneChickenMeatball.jpg

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
You do realize that you now have John Montagu spinning in his grave. Well done, Had. :mad:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner