Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Indy IV (beware... spoiler pics)

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Indy IV

1.jpg

Katie Brookes

One of the Regulars
can't they let a good thing be? the other three were perfect, just let it be what it was rather than beat a few more dollars out of it at the cost of the integrity of everyone involved... i'm sorry but from a female perspective having Harrison Ford be Indy now would be like what i imagine to most guys it would be like having Jane Fonda come back as Barbarella now. no. it is just... wrong...
on a scale of the crimes of modern Hollywood against the the things i love and hold sacred, it lies somewhere more wrong than a blonde Bond, but less wrong than Gwen Stefani as Jean Harlow. Somewhere around the wrongness of the Oceans' 11+ phenomenon...
...but i will still go and see it.

i just haven't been able to trust Lucas since the whole Jar-Jar Binks disaster.

Naphtali

Practically Family
Thank you, Katie, for expressing my attitude more tactfully than I. . . .

Coming soon: "Son of Indiana Jones," to be followed by "Indiana & Rocky vs. Godzilla, Rodan, and Freddy."

WEEGEE

Practically Family
Sequel thoughts

Naphtali
Thank you, Katie, for expressing my attitude more tactfully than I. . . .

Coming soon: "Son of Indiana Jones," to be followed by "Indiana & Rocky vs. Godzilla, Rodan, and Freddy."

I do feel Rocky Balboa (2006) was a very good movie and if five had never been made it would be a masterful continued narrative and closure. I feel the newest Indy will be an enjoyable and well done addition to the allure and lore.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
I will go see it; I enjoyed the other three. I, too, am sorry Connery won't be in it.

Yes, glad to see he is wearing the hat, looks pretty good to me.

I was worried that they'd "update" him and put him in a ballcap or something gross. Then, I would have had a you-know-what fit.

karol

Private Eye

New in Town
The Jar Jar Binks is a good point

I have to agree that Lucas seems to have altered his world view a bit (the explanation of "the Force" as some kind of parasite really ruined Star Wars for me... even worse than Jar Jar), but it's a rare opportunity to see an action hero through the natural act of aging... mixed with the fantasy of the adventure hero... it could give us old-timers something to aspire to!

I still feel like I am 25, but the grim reality is I am 45 - Hopefully, Mr. Ford will do honor to the aging icon.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
If they have a good script, they can get it right.

Remember Paul Newman playing The Hustler in the 1960's and then doing the same role in The Color of Money.

Or Peter O'Toole playing Henry II in Becket and, years later, in The Lion in Winter.

There are probably other. Ford is a good actor, he can pull it off. He owns Indy as far as I'm concerned.

karol

WEEGEE

Practically Family
K.D. Lightner
If they have a good script, they can get it right.

Remember Paul Newman playing The Hustler in the 1960's and then doing the same role in The Color of Money.

Or Peter O'Toole playing Henry II in Becket and, years later, in The Lion in Winter.

There are probably other. Ford is a good actor, he can pull it off. He owns Indy as far as I'm concerned.

karol

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

I have faith as well.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
A bridge too far for Harrison...

Katie Brookes said:
can't they let a good thing be? the other three were perfect, just let it be what it was rather than beat a few more dollars out of it at the cost of the integrity of everyone involved... i'm sorry but from a female perspective having Harrison Ford be Indy now would be like what i imagine to most guys it would be like having Jane Fonda come back as Barbarella now. no. it is just... wrong... .

Agreed! Let sleeping dogs lie. Indy has had his day, [huh] and it's so sad that in squeezing a few more dollars out of this fantasy comic book styled series, if this falls flat then it will shadow the previous successful movies.

A motto that I like is, "Finish on a High." So if you make ONE great movie, then 'stop there.'

Plus, although personally I think Harrison ages fantastically well, like a well loved pair of English Brogues (like Connery has), he needs to reinvent himself in character roles. The days of being Indy should have finished a long time ago, as he has moved on, and my fear is that this latest 'comic strip' role will sadly be just that. [huh] Not a fine legacy for a good actor.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I have to admit that I'm anxious about Indy IV. The first three are brilliant and I can (and have) watched them again and again. To be honest I'm a little worried about Ford being able to carry it off again. Since seeing him being interviewed on Parkinson a few years ago and his last few films, he has (in my eyes) started to come across as rather doddery (the Parkie interview being an alarming example), and for that reason I'm worried he'll be able to pull off the role of Indy convincingly again. I hope I'm wrong and I'll definitely be there when it comes out.

Plus I think there is a tendency with Hollywood sequels to keeping on flogging the horse until they end up being a pastiche of themselves and a disappointment. Stopping something good when people are wanting more is a good thing, being left wanting more isn't a negative, but it's a lesson Hollywood seldom seems to realise.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
You hit it right Smithy. I totally agree.
HF is not a bad actor - but he's just not the IJ we knew back then. So why go on?....year we all know the answere. Green bucks!

jake431

Practically Family
A friend from high school is a stuntman on the new Indiana Jones film (just last week he sent a friend of ours a text message saying that he was filming with Spielberg and had lunch with him and Lucas). I if I hear anything juicy I'll post it.

What I already know is that it takes place in the 50's, he teams up with his son, area 51 is involved and the Soviets are the bad guys. I don't know if that had been posted earlier in this thread.

-Jake

Doh!

One Too Many
As long as Indy battles a giant spider at some point in the movie, I'll be happy.

Or the Roswell aliens.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24