Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Indy IV (beware... spoiler pics)

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
That has been one of my questions on Indy IV. He took on the Ark of the Covenant and he took on the search for the Holy Grail, what would he do in the 1950's?

Search for Noah's Ark on Ararat?

Search for the lost city of Altantis?

Search for UFO's?

Or...

All of the above?

karol

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Find Atlantis on Ararat because it was misplaced by the Flood, only to discover Atlantis was populated by advanced aliens.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
I want to see Indy jammin' at the 5 Spot.

I hope he plays his hep saxaphone. That was just too cool for school daddio.

Katie Brookes

One of the Regulars
K.D. Lightner said:
Search for the lost city of Altantis?

karol

actually...
they had an Indiana Jones computer game where he finds Atlantis back in the day when games looked like this:
indy1.gif

Indiana Jones and The Fate Of Atlantis

i was raised on a computer, when i remember my childhood it is pixellated. i must have played this game a few dozen times through.

oh and "Atlantis" looks like this... and that girl has my hair...
indy3.gif

did anyone else play this?

Polka Dot

A-List Customer
No, but I played an Indiana Jones game that looked remarkably similar. I think the title was Indiana Jones and the Cross of Coronado. I love some of those old pixelated games.

:eek:fftopic: Oregon Trail, anyone?

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis is available in graphic novel form from Dark Horse. The game's artwork is fairly true to the four-book series itself, which was released at the same time.

...and I groaned audibly upon seeing a rodded '32 coupe in the video from the first days of filming. The fact something like that is even making an appearance speaks volumes of the direction this film is going.

...and this is indeed a comic book fantasy series. Far too much of the general population looks at films such as this as some sort of slice of history, which they most certainly are not.

Should've left it as a trilogy and not messed with it, but George Lucas is indeed insane.

Katie Brookes said:
did anyone else play this?
I did--and quite distinctly recall drawing the impression in the throne room that Atlantis was Hell. (Also a determination that if I had any say in the matter, and any Atlantis found seems anything like the one in the game, it needs to be immediately glassed via massive thermonuclear laydown, despite the historical loss.)

Interesting storyline to it, I'm just glad it was as pixelated as it was--I don't deal with nasty underwater creepy-crawlies well even if they are only images on a computer screen...

jake431

Practically Family
The Wingnut said:
...and I groaned audibly upon seeing a rodded '32 coupe in the video from the first days of filming. The fact something like that is even making an appearance speaks volumes of the direction this film is going.

...and this is indeed a comic book fantasy series. Far too much of the general population looks at films such as this as some sort of slice of history, which they most certainly are not.

Should've left it as a trilogy and not messed with it, but George Lucas is indeed insane.

How does that speak volumes about a movie which takes place in the 50's? Also, why does another movie seem like such an awful idea? If it were just Lucas, I could understand, but he had to get Spielberg and Ford to sign off on it, and honestly, between the three of them and the time they took to develop a story, I have faith it will be worth it. The character of Indiana Jones has always had a humanity that frankly I think will be well served by a movie which shows just how aging and diminished abilities are met by our hero, as well as how he deals with knowing he has a child. I'll miss the Nazi villains, but I just can't be so sure this movie will be bad.

-Jake

The Wingnut

One Too Many
...I suppose if I have to explain, nobody will understand. MUST we have a hot rod in a movie set in the '50s? MUST it be a perfect black '32 Ford roadster with a GM mill running finned valve covers and Stromberg 97s, a red interior, cutout headers, red steelies with baby moon caps and a rumble seat?

....could it get any more trite and passe? I've got this car's dead ringer in 1:18 scale sitting on top of my fridge. It's as silly as a seafoam green Bel Air. It's a 'gimmie', you can find a red-on-black '32 roaster with a GM mill and cutout headers at just about any old car show you go to anywhere in North America. It took no effort or originality.

v-32ford01.jpg

Hot rods existed long before the '50s, my grandpa was running around in a '30 model A in 1939 with interchangeable phaeton and coupe bodies. He'd use the phaeton in the summer and the coupe in the winter. He was constantly blowing up the rear end because he'd tweaked out the 'banger' 4-cyl way beyond what it ever should have been. It was a few loose parts from going right back into the junkyard from which it came. That's a hot rod, not some perfectly polished gem kept in a garage.

I suppose I should refer back to my own statement about this being a fantasy comic book movie and not a picture of the past...I just expect more from Lucas and Spielberg than a silly 'look, ain't this cool!?' passe pop culture nod when they could do so much better, and have done so much better many times in the past.

Why not another Indy movie? I'll echo Paddy's statement, 'Finish on a High', leave well enough alone. It seems George can't, and even his screenwriter thinks he's nuts, so I know I'm not alone in this sentiment.

I'll watch it, sure, but it's already shaping up to be to the first three movies what Episodes 1-3 were to the first Star Wars trilogy.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Smithy said:
Since seeing him being interviewed on Parkinson a few years ago and his last few films, he has (in my eyes) started to come across as rather doddery (the Parkie interview being an alarming example), and for that reason I'm worried he'll be able to pull off the role of Indy convincingly again. I hope I'm wrong and I'll definitely be there when it comes out.

Well, just about in any interview Harrison Ford has ever done he seemed "doddery", even when he was younger. He tends to shy away from the interview and mumble his way through his answers. It's just the guy, he's always been that way. But, put him in an action role and he can blurt out his fury at the bad guy quite clearly. I for one have complete faith in his abilities to not only deliver his lines but still be a respectable action hero the younger can aspire to be. I have no doubt that he is in excellent enough shape and just as sharp as ever to be able to pull off Indy one more time.
I can't wait for this one to come out, no matter what the story will be.:)

Cheers!

Dan

jake431

Practically Family
I dunno. Indy movies have always been comic-bookish. It's hard to get more cliche than Nazi's for villians. Remember the furor over Temple of Doom, and all the innacuracies about the thuggee cult contained therein?

As far as the hot rod goes - it's the archtype of a hotrod, so what? It well symbolizes the age. I didn't know until a couple of years ago that hotrodding existed in the thirties, and I know most people have no idea.

Frankly the Indy movies have always been pop culture, not history, and I expect no more, and no less, from this one.

I think what happened with SW is happening with Indy - people my age (roughly) saw Indiana Jones movies as a kid. They have that in their mind whenever they see it and when you see a new movie, you can't exactly reclaim that feeling. As an adult you are (hopefully) more discriminating. I'll confess to having been dissapointed by SW 1-3, but I know if I watched them from between the ages of 3-10 like the originals, I'd have thought they were the best thing ever.

All I want from this last Indy movie is good dialog, cool stunts and a fast plot. If I get that, I'll have gotten all I could ask for.

-Jake

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
carebear said:
Commies, all over the world. Fifth columns undermining the nations of the Free World, striving to bring the entire globe under Stalin's iron hand...

:D

Communist Fifth Columnists... Isn't that a conflict in terms?

Alan

Doh!

One Too Many
jake431 said:
I think what happened with SW is happening with Indy - people my age (roughly) saw Indiana Jones movies as a kid. They have that in their mind whenever they see it and when you see a new movie, you can't exactly reclaim that feeling. As an adult you are (hopefully) more discriminating. I'll confess to having been dissapointed by SW 1-3, but I know if I watched them from between the ages of 3-10 like the originals, I'd have thought they were the best thing ever.

All I want from this last Indy movie is good dialog, cool stunts and a fast plot. If I get that, I'll have gotten all I could ask for.

-Jake

Without trying to turn this into a Star Wars thread, I don't think that's an accurate comparison. The Original Trilogy was reviewed favorably by adult, professional film critics whereas as the Prequels were pretty universally panned (I'm speaking in generalities, of course). I think history will reveal that the OT films were just BETTER than the new ones -- plain and simple. Lucas has become a weak director -- and pretty full of himself, to boot.

With Spielberg at the helm of Indy IV, we can at least be confident that the movie will be well directed. I'm optimistic about the whole thing until proved otherwise.

I thought the Young Indy Jones TV series was pretty good. Admittedly i was quite young when i last saw it, so my memory may be hazy . . . I am more than willing to be shown how bad it was.

I hated all the Indiana Jones movies. Hammy acting throughout and very poorly written female roles (and as for that irritating kid with the terrible baseball cap! What an annoying character). I'm certain i'll hate the new one, but i'll give it a fair shot.

bk

Edward

Bartender
Doctor Strange said:
I'm disgusted to hear that they're obviously going the Indy-meets-the-son-he-never-knew-he-had-by-Marion-or-Willie route. I realize that this continues the character arc of Indy coming to terms with his own father in Last Crusade, and allows them to go for a bunch of finally-having-to-admit-he's-no-longer-young story points... but after all the scripts, rewrites, and delays, I was hoping for a more original approach.

OTOH, it's not like the Indy films haven't been highly traditional (besides retro) from the start. Let's just hope that Spielberg (who has continued to grow as a filmaker) can reign in Lucas (who has actually been getting worse ever since American Graffiti) in terms of unbelivable acting and over-reliance on special effects!

cliche, a bit.... but at least it's an indication, as you say, that we're gonig to get him played "age-appropriate" and not a cheap retread of him being the action hero he was when he's clearly 20 years older....

Edward

Bartender
Katie Brookes said:
i just haven't been able to trust Lucas since the whole Jar-Jar Binks disaster.

You gave him more leeway than I did. For me, Star Wars died the day Greedo shot first.

Edward

Bartender
jake431 said:
A friend from high school is a stuntman on the new Indiana Jones film (just last week he sent a friend of ours a text message saying that he was filming with Spielberg and had lunch with him and Lucas). I if I hear anything juicy I'll post it.

What I already know is that it takes place in the 50's, he teams up with his son, area 51 is involved and the Soviets are the bad guys. I don't know if that had been posted earlier in this thread.

-Jake

Soviets as the bad guys could feel dated..... OTOH, it could allow them to play with accepted notions of who is or is not the bad guy - you know, the communists being not that great, but there being equally some fairly evil people in government on "our" side too.... I'd be surprised if they don't have at least noe clearly good-guy, could-have-been-one-of-us, "noble-savage" type Soviet officer, a la Arnie in Red Heat.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav