Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Indy IV (beware... spoiler pics)

Doh!

One Too Many
That Greedo thing was ridiculous. I'm shocked that by now, Lucas hasn't CGI'd a gun into the swordman's hand right before Indy shoots him.

You know, otherwise Indy wouldn't be a gentleman or something.

Atomic Glee

Practically Family
Weirdly, my biggest beef thus far is the '50s setting. Indy just isn't going to feel "right" without that '30s atmosphere.

The '40s might work, but the '50s just pushes it too far for me. Yeah, I know, I'm weird. :)

Edward

Bartender
Atomic Glee said:
Weirdly, my biggest beef thus far is the '50s setting. Indy just isn't going to feel "right" without that '30s atmosphere.

The '40s might work, but the '50s just pushes it too far for me. Yeah, I know, I'm weird. :)

I know where you're going - it is a jump, though I actually am really glad of it - seems to me that it signals they're trying to do something intertesting with it, rather than flog out another one trying to be like the rest and pretending HF is 20 years younger.... IMO, if you're gonig to return to a franchise like that after a long time, you need to branch out and do something different a bit, reflect the passage of time.... we'll see, I guess. HF trying to pretend he was 20 years younger and it was still 1938 though would still have been a lot better than them casting a different actor. Some characters can be played successfully by different actors (Keaton and Bale as Batman were both great, and there have been two good Bonds - Connery and Brosnan - I've not seen Craig yet), others don't work so well. I can't imagine anyone bar Bruce Campbell playing Ash, for instance. Indy I honestly can't see anyone else playing.... and the idea of Tom Sellick (to whom the role was offered first) is as weird now having seen HF as the idea of Christopher Walken as Han Solo.

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
Atomic Glee said:

I'm with you on that! Maybe Indy and join forces with the Fonz. Ayyyyyyy!

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
Katie Brookes said:
actually...
they had an Indiana Jones computer game where he finds Atlantis back in the day when games looked like this:
indy1.gif

Indiana Jones and The Fate Of Atlantis

i was raised on a computer, when i remember my childhood it is pixellated. i must have played this game a few dozen times through.

oh and "Atlantis" looks like this... and that girl has my hair...
indy3.gif

did anyone else play this?

YES!!!

I must say that Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis is one of my most favorite adventure computer games of all time. This kind of game was great; back before Tomb Raider made game developers walk away from good plots and Dialog and turn instead to jumping, climbing, and shooting.

Katie Brookes

One of the Regulars
ScionPI2005 said:
YES!!!

I must say that Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis is one of my most favorite adventure computer games of all time. This kind of game was great; back before Tomb Raider made game developers walk away from good plots and Dialog and turn instead to jumping, climbing, and shooting.

I know! Games were so much more inventive, in a way I see a lot of similarities with silent film; an exciting new creative medium where technical limits only forced greater creativity, and there was unlimited potential because there were no precedents firmly in place yet... and with the old games there seemed to be an expectation the audience was literate enough to follow a plot more complicated than 'shoot the bad guy.'

ledsled

One of the Regulars
Yale

They've been filming in downtown New Haven, CT. I don't know what percentage of the storyline takes place there, but that's where they've been for the last week or so.

Edward

Bartender
ScionPI2005 said:
YES!!!

I thought Tomb Raider was all about the boobs? :eek: I do seem to remember a demo version a friend got out of a PC magazine, and it seemed to me wholly unnecessary for the perspective to be changeable to thed degree it was.... I mean, why would you need to look so far down that it seemed as if your face was pressed right into her cleavage, or so far up that you were, well..... a lot closer to the tops of the inside inseams of her shorts than a gentleman should be! :eek:

Doug C

Practically Family
Does it seem like this movie will be mostly about the kid on the motorcycle. I'm not interested in being "introduced" to Indy's new kid all that much. I mean it's cool as long as the story and all the action is not centered around him. Also, Harrison's hair (and perhaps his dress too) doesn't seem the least bit period correct (in those pics) for the 50's. Then again Indy's hair has always been off for the period these movies were supposed to be in. Now I know the traditional Indy costume also may not be period correct but it just won't be Indy without those - IMHO...and I don't see them in these pictures.

Doug C

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I would assume he'll play a role similar to Indy's father in the last movie. He also brings youth and adds a heartthrob/hot actor angle. As long as it's played well, it could be fine. I doubt Harrison Ford would agree to do the move after all this time if it's not mainly about him. :)

pretty faythe

One Too Many
Doug C said:
. Also, Harrison's hair (and perhaps his dress too) doesn't seem the least bit period correct (in those pics) for the 50's. Then again Indy's hair has always been off for the period these movies were supposed to be in. Now I know the traditional Indy costume also may not be period correct but it just won't be Indy without those - IMHO...and I don't see them in these pictures.

Doug C

Dont forget filming barely begun. Hasn't all the Indy movies shown him in his professor attire for one small bit before the action begins. That may be what that is.

In those pics of Shia just crack me up. 'Specially since whoever took them, took them when he seemed to be trying to get "gunk" out of his eyes. lol

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
Edward said:
I thought Tomb Raider was all about the boobs? :eek: I do seem to remember a demo version a friend got out of a PC magazine, and it seemed to me wholly unnecessary for the perspective to be changeable to thed degree it was.... I mean, why would you need to look so far down that it seemed as if your face was pressed right into her cleavage, or so far up that you were, well..... a lot closer to the tops of the inside inseams of her shorts than a gentleman should be! :eek:

Well...I guess that's just a good example of the old saying, "Sex Sales". [huh] Suppose that was definitely a technique to get all teen boys into playing video games (assuming they weren't already).

Edward

Bartender
ScionPI2005 said:
Well...I guess that's just a good example of the old saying, "Sex Sales". [huh] Suppose that was definitely a technique to get all teen boys into playing video games (assuming they weren't already).

I guess there is that, yeah. I suppose, though, unrealistic as she was, dear Lara is probably a better than many image of a woman in the media - at least she has a bust and a bum. I've know far too many otherwise strong, level headed and not at all superficial women made to feel insecure about their own bodies by the constant media barrage of young twiglets being portrayed as "normal" women.

Doug C said:
Does it seem like this movie will be mostly about the kid on the motorcycle. I'm not interested in being "introduced" to Indy's new kid all that much. I mean it's cool as long as the story and all the action is not centered around him. Also, Harrison's hair (and perhaps his dress too) doesn't seem the least bit period correct (in those pics) for the 50's. Then again Indy's hair has always been off for the period these movies were supposed to be in. Now I know the traditional Indy costume also may not be period correct but it just won't be Indy without those - IMHO...and I don't see them in these pictures.

Doug C

I'd be inclined to imagine that we will see little change in Indy's dress sense - at least his casual dress sense - in the new film. Two main reasons:

1] To put it crudely, Indy is a brand. Take away that fedora, that leather jacket[/i] and that whip, and what you have is not the Indiana Jones image we have all come to expect. It'd be like Bond without the sharp tailoring, Spock without pointy ears, or Doctor Who without the TARDIS looking like a police box. Sure, the police box has been an anachronism for years on end.... but take it away, and you take away a very big part of the visual vibe of Doctor Who.

2] What age is Indy? He must have been in, what his late thirties / early forties in the period the original films are set (1935 - 1938). He's now in his late fifties or early sixties in the fifties. Fact is, most folks don't change their dress sense or general aesthetic all that much once they hit over 30 - not in my experience anyhow. Indy isn't the sort of man to go chasing fashion - he'll have set ideas about what looks good on him, and he'll stick to classic style and not be led by the vagaries of fashion. Especially, I should think, in relation to the clothes he takes off on his adventures, which are all things he is comfortable with, and knows he can rely on in a tight spot. Being fashionable just ain't worth losing those for!

The idea of Indy in his classic, pre-war dress style works for me because of reason 2, though I'm quite sure in the minds of the studio reason 1 is the big factor. I think it might be interesting for them to dabble with a slight change or two in the basic costume to signify a change in time.... I think it would be cool, for instance, if Indy somewhere along the lines had picked up a wartime A2 in place of his old leather jacket, or maybe a pair of military issue ankle boots to replace his earlier pairs. I can see him being the sort of guy who would not be at all pleased at having to give up what worked, though, grumbling about "why don't they make boots like they used to.... I liked those boots.... Maybe he could be finally admitting defeat that his old leather jacket (I can't remember, was it supposed to be the same one in all the films? I seem to remember he definitely lost the hat in Raiders, so it must have been a new one in Crusade....), so off he goes shopping, can't get a replacement the same and ends up buying an A2 from a surplus store (was that possible post war?) - "It'll never be the same, but I guess it'll do...." - said with that wonderful, sour expression Ford does so well. :D

The hat, though. The hat absolutely had to come back..... I mean, how many of us here now love a fedora because of Indy? for me, the defining Indiana Jones moment is just that point where as the stone door crashes down, the hands reaches back in and snatches the hat through. That had style - to risk that for a favourite hat!

One thing i'd love to see would be some sort of explanation as to what happened to Willy, and then later Marion (Raiders being set, as I recall, a year after Temple?). Even as a kid it always bugged me when there was the leading lady in a film, the hero rides off into the sunset with her, and then in the next film it's as if she never existed, on to the next one. Might work for a whore like Bond (scuse my French!) but I expect Indy, rough and ready as he can be, to be somewhat more noble than that humper-dumper!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany