Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

INSOMNIA!

Brooksie

One Too Many
Does anyone else on the lounge have insomnia? I sure do!!!! I can be found roaming around the lounge all odd hours of the day and night, if you can relate or sympathize, tell me your story or at least a nod of encouragement! Fellow insomniac loungers unite!

Brooksie

pretty faythe

One Too Many
I have a touch of insomnia. It takes me forever to fall asleep, even when actually trying. I will lay in bed for hours, usually with a book, other wise I am tossing and turning and grumbling about not being able to get to sleep. Otherwise I am here, or else where on the world wide wonder.

Cacklewack

One of the Regulars
I'm with ya, Brooksie! Whether I'm enduring a grueling day at work, or attempting to go to bed, the Lounge is usually my drug of choice. Right now, for instance, I should be asleep preparing to get on a plane in 7 hours, but instead I'm reading about hats, suits and vintage bedrooms. If I find that I begin dreaming of Matt Deckard and Art Fawcett doing cartwheels while wearing spectators and cumberbuns, then -- and only then -- will I rethink my internet hobbies.

Matt

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I rarely get a decent night's sleep -- a lot of nights I get home from the theatre after 10 pm, and I can't just go straight to bed, so I end up lying awake reading or hanging around online or whatever until after midnight, and then lie awake worrying about money for another hour or so, only to wake up again around 3 or 4 AM to worry some more. This goes on for weeks at a time until one night I finally just collapse. Then I'm fine for a couple days before the cycle starts all over again.

Blech.

I used to know a guy who said when he was in the Navy they taught him how to fall asleep at will. That'd be a neat trick if someone would teach it to me!

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Years of late gigs and meals made me an insomniac and day napper. I now have the problem under loose control, but the nap impetus remains.

Lucky I've never been much of a 9 to 5'er. The Greeks and Spaniards close up for 3 hours after lunch for a reason. We could learn from them if we weren't such Calvinist cusses.

Clara Noir

Familiar Face
I understand fully. My doctor just doubled my sleeping pill dose and told me to take twice as many (quadruple!!!) because I'm getting to be such a mess.

Some day I'll have a happy sleep. Until then I stay online no later than 2am, and the start drawing or writing for a few hours until I go unconscious.

Woohoo :eusa_clap

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
I'm not quite sure how old you are, but I noticed around 25, I could no longer drink anything with caffine after a certain time in the evening. I would always feel tired, but would spend hours tossing and turning.
For me, I have my own evening routine that I find very relaxing. Take a long hot shower (this is also great for loosening up any sore and tense muscles), make some camomile tea, curl up on the couch with a cozy blanket and read. Reading in bed is also great for getting some shut-eye. It never fails that after 5 minutes of reading I find myself fast asleep.
Otherwise, I've known people who had to go to their doctor to get a little extra help!
Good luck, and I really hope you are able to get some good rest soon!
btw; I just remembered; if you feel like you can't sleep because of a million and one things on your mind, a good way to remedy this is to write everything on paper.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I could sleep, LOVE sleep, but I have so much stuff I want to pack in a day, that I just stay up and try to do it.

Then when I get up from sleep (which is only about 6 hrs) I just lag and procrastinate in the early morning, the time that I want to be the most productive at projects. [huh]

Then when I have to move my bumm (to get to work), Im rushing *ick*.

I find that working out on my treadmill (about 9am) is a good pick me up for the rest of the day for me :)

Too bad I dont do that as much as I should :rolleyes:

LD

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
I completely feel for ya Brooksie!
I've had on and off insomnia for years, I'll be okay for a couple of days, or even months, and once I start to hope I've got it beat...I'll have a month of either not sleeping, or not sleeping long.
It's absolutely no fun,when I was having my creative streak I'd just write all night, but that's fizzled off so I sit and stare at the street, or do homework:rolleyes:

staggerwing

One of the Regulars
I seem to not need much sleep, maybe 3-4 hours a night. I can sleep for 8 hours two-to-three nights in a row, but the next night I'll lay awake and just toss and turn. I'll frequently go 2-3 days without any sleep at all, particularly if I have something interesting to do. I've never really understood why people take all manner of drugs to make them go to sleep. I just try to put the extra hours to good use. I guess I look on my lack of need for sleep as a gift.

Brooksie

One Too Many
Well, I am 38 years old, don't consume caffine and I am not on any sleeping medications. I am glad you can all relate-well no i am not actually glad (that wouldnt be good) I am glad there are people out there that can sympathise lets just put it that way!

Brooksie

I'm kinda weird in that it practically takes an act of God to put me out, but once I'm out, don't even go near me for 10-12 hours unless you want to find out just how hardwired my defensive reflexes are. About my only real option is to keep pushing myself until sheer exhaustion puts me under. (And I have heaps of database stuff, archival material and a laptop next to my pillow for this very purpose.)

The recurring nightmares don't help much either...

Phobic

New in Town
I've just concluded that I'm going to be awake at five in the morning. Whether I'm just getting to sleep, or waking up is the fun bit. I'll also occasionally suffer sleeplessness, but never for more that a night or two in a row. So, technically I'm not an insomniac, just a night owl.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Right now its a quarter to 5am, Im sitting on the couch, my dog is asleep beside me, its nearly silent (with the acceptation of her snoring), and I am on my laptop.

Everything is prepared for bed, and I should go, but Im sitting here typing this.

*sigh*

I wish I could sew right now (machine is too loud to sew at night, at least I think so).

LD

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
I shouldn't have a television in my bedroom. I'll wake up in the middle of the night...toss and turn...and then flip on the tv. Good note: they play the best movies on cable at 3 a.m.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Every once in a while I'll get a real attack of insomnia, but for the most part I'd say I'm a night-owl-wannabe!

I USED to be a serious night owl when I was a kid and when I worked rotating shifts in my 20s. I'd watch an old film at 3am and LOVE it. Nothing is more "right."

Nowadays I have to get up at 4:45am instead of going to sleep then :( So I'm in bed at 9:30, I read for a half hour, then I'm asleep by 10.

I so crave "the old days" when I could stay up as late as I wanted!!

Trickeration

Practically Family
Most of the time I can't sleep, even when I'm tired. My mind just doesn't shut down. And since I'm an avid reader, a book won't work. I'll stay awake until I finish it! :eusa_doh: I've also had fairly severe Restless Leg Syndrome for years. I would toss and turn and fidgit all night. Now I'm on an Rx for it (though not the one they advertise on TV) so I at least sleep soundly when I do sleep. I usually sleep about 4 hours, wake up and take the kids to school, then sleep for about 2 more. I get a lot of housework and projects done between 10pm and 3am. And of course spend time here. :)

Oh yeah...My sleeping habits were greatly in my favor when I chaperoned my sons Boy Scout all-nighter party, and when I did the 24 hour danceathon.:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24