Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Irrational hatred of hats

immortaldiamond

Familiar Face
There are a few people in my life who seem to have the strongest reaction against hats. Has anyone else had something similar? Not just, "I don't like hats" but "Get that off, it looks ridiculous ... I'm not walking down the street with you wearing that"

metropd

One Too Many
No, I have never met a person like that. I am sorry for you that is the case. I would be surprised if there were people like that in London.:eek: :eek:

billyspew

One Too Many
I have to say yes, unfortunately a few of my close friends had that reaction at first. I know have two of them wearing a hat as well though.
It is an irrational response, once they start thinking rationally about it though they seem to come around to the idea and now positively enjoy it.

Bantam Man

One of the Regulars
Live and let live

Hi ImmortalDiamond,

Could it be those people don't dare to stick out themselves, and even think they stick out when they walk the street with you?

I do not encounter the reaction you did, but I know some individuals who preach that everything else than the ordinary is a scream for attention. So when I wear red or pink trousers... :eek: :rage:

:p Dare to be different!

Charlie Huang

Practically Family
My parents. They will only accept beanies (and maybe a baseball cap) on a head but nothing else. I have to literally sneak the hat out of the house and then put it on at the corner and then take it off on the return approach to get away from the snideness...

JJWord

Familiar Face
My wife. She absolutely loves how I look in baseball caps, so she's been fighting my pursuit of the fedora. I have found though the more I include her in my shopping and sizing, the easier the transition is. Well, slightly easier, because she has still blatently said she hates the way I look in a hat. [huh]

Akubra Man

One of the Regulars
Not very evolved are they .. they are going to have to keep coming back until they get it right. lol Be at peace knowing that it is their problem not yours and just enjoy being you. My favorite saying sums up my philosophy on dealing with people like this ... "they can keep on raining and I'll keep on being the parade". Chin up ... Cheers

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
JJWord said:
My wife. She absolutely loves how I look in baseball caps, so she's been fighting my pursuit of the fedora. I have found though the more I include her in my shopping and sizing, the easier the transition is. Well, slightly easier, because she has still blatently said she hates the way I look in a hat. [huh]

I have the same issue, except I find the least I include her the better.

FurFeltFedora

A-List Customer
Well I guess I lucked out. No one seems to make fun of my hats and my girlfriend was so enamored with my Fed IV when she saw it the first time that I just ordered her one for her (she looks great in mine which is 3 sizes to large so I can't wait to see her in a fitted one).

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
People are resistant to change. Once they realize your hat is a daily regular feature, they won't even notice it. Then, one day, if you forget to wear a hat, they will want to know WHY you're not wearing one! :)

Macheath

One of the Regulars
Hmm. I've yet to encounter it, but then, I wear mostly newsies around my friends, so I suppose it depends on the hat. The more "radical" it is by contemporary standards, the more likely, I'm guessing, that one would garner a hostile reaction.

Outside of my friends, I seem to be rather unapproachable; at least that's what I predict to be the reason that I get almost no comments about wearing a hat.

:eek:fftopic: I do have a friend who has an irrational aversion to bow ties. :eek:

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
What's to say its -irrational- anyhow? Irrational to -you- maybe...but they might be glad they don't share everything in common with you, or everyone else on the planet. Different likes and dislikes...is what makes us individuals.

For all you know they have a childhood trauma involving a hatted man....;)

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Miss Neecerie said:
What's to say its -irrational- anyhow? Irrational to -you- maybe...but they might be glad they don't share everything in common with you, or everyone else on the planet. Different likes and dislikes...is what makes us individuals.
However, some of us dislike individuality for itself.

For all you know they have a childhood trauma involving a hatted man....;)
You're semi-kidding, but it's been known to occur with dogs. If a dog is mistreated or scared by a person in a hat, the dog will often act threatened by anyone wearing a hat thereafter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn