Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Irrational hatred of hats

celtic

A-List Customer
Miss Neecerie said:
What's to say its -irrational- anyhow? Irrational to -you- maybe...but they might be glad they don't share everything in common with you, or everyone else on the planet. Different likes and dislikes...is what makes us individuals.

For all you know they have a childhood trauma involving a hatted man....;)

yes, i would'nt say that it was irrational.

at least no more irrational than the the hatred for wearing baseball caps or flip-flops in public.

or hatred for 70's clothes...

;)

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I find it can be useful to remind such people that there
are far worse practices. Mind you, I have some of them, too.
But I'm sure you can think of people who collect far more
expensive or cumbersome items or who have made far worse
choices in their appearance or who have far less desirable habits.

We can't expect everyone to share our aesthetic or even to
understand the utility of a hat. But we can point out that there
are far worse fates... :rolleyes:

AcmeNews

New in Town
I've had only a few people say anything other than complimentary.

One guy said he thought it looked "pretentious." He was wearing birkenstocks so I dismissed his comment.

A few other friends, who are more Cowboy hat guys, laughed at first but then got over pretty quickly.

I'll admit to having a bias against men who shouldn't wear fedoras but still do. I don't think fedoras generally look good with a long pony tail hanging out the back.

No offense meant to any of you who sport that look.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
AcmeNews said:
One guy said he thought it looked "pretentious." He was wearing birkenstocks so I dismissed his comment.
Pretentious...hmmm. I can't think of a more socially loaded footwear than Birkies (except of course the much-vaunted riding boots).

Then again, to a trustafarian, not taking pains to look like a dirtbag probably is pretentious.

celtic

A-List Customer
Fletch said:
Pretentious...hmmm. I can't think of a more socially loaded footwear than Birkies (except of course the much-vaunted riding boots).

Then again, to a trustafarian, not taking pains to look like a dirtbag probably is pretentious.

trustafarian is pretty funny.
i used to call the ones i knew 'hippiecrites'

:D

WideBrimm

A-List Customer
This hatred :rage: of hats could be due to a lot of reasons. The number one reason could very well be a lack of respect for the hat wearer, and very probably a poor self image, and lack of respect for oneself as well.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
WideBrimm said:
This hatred :rage: of hats could be due to a lot of reasons. The number one reason could very well be a lack of respect for the hat wearer, and very probably a poor self image, and lack of respect for oneself as well.

That assumes quite a lot...

Maybe they just don't like them. Just like folks here don't like other things (the list is too long to go into) and rant and rave against those things.

Does that mean we all have a lack of respect for the Birkenstock wearer, a poor self image and a lack of self respect too?

oh wait....that's different because its -them- ...and not -us-.....:eusa_doh:

AcmeNews

New in Town
Fletch said:

The dirtbag, modern-hippie clothing is quite expensive. $65 for jeans that already have rips and stains? I can't afford to dress like that!

Carlisle Blues

WideBrimm said:

I do not like this hat:

535full.jpg

But I do respect the person who wants to wear it, unless given a reason not to.

I like myself; I think I am ok and you are ok too. ;)

I respect myself enough not to wear this hat as well.

I still do not like this hat. :p

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Carlisle Blues said:
I do not like this hat:

535full.jpg

But I do respect the person who wants to wear it, unless given a reason not to.

I like myself; I think I am ok and you are ok too. ;)

I respect myself enough not to wear this hat as well.

I still do not like this hat. :p

Yes, I agree.

I would like it better if it had a chim strap so I wouldnt havent to hold it on my head in order to take off.

Vintage Betty

immortaldiamond said:
There are a few people in my life who seem to have the strongest reaction against hats. Has anyone else had something similar? Not just, "I don't like hats" but "Get that off, it looks ridiculous ... I'm not walking down the street with you wearing that"

I see you've met my mother. :eusa_doh:

Goose.

Practically Family
Charlie Huang said:
My parents. They will only accept beanies (and maybe a baseball cap) on a head but nothing else. I have to literally sneak the hat out of the house and then put it on at the corner and then take it off on the return approach to get away from the snideness...
Wow, that’s a bummer Charlie. A closet hat wearer. :(

For several years, I went “fedora less”. Only once in awhile when I was working the yard or something, then I’d wear my packer, Sydney, or Stetson Cuenca. For the most part…it was ball caps….every single day. That was until I started riding my scoot less.
Now a fedora is the “norm” for me….every day

At first, my wife wasn’t too hip on them at all. She never was “irrational”, nor has anyone else that I have come across been so. But she wasn’t keen on it. I too take the “it’s none of your business what other people think of you” thought. BUT, I do listen to those here that know hats.

ANYWAY, this past Wednesday, I was going out for a quick errand. Put on my old black ball cap. She said, “what are you thinking???”. I had no clue (not unusual). She said, “I really like you wearing your fedoras”.

Don’t be a sheeple. Be comfortable and confident in your own skin...you won't be wearing it for long (translated as; "Life’s short"). Enjoy your hat(s). Truth be told, anyone that gets in your sheet "irrationally" for a lid has bigger issues than you can fix and that's not your job anyway.

Eventually, it comes down to what J.T. typed…
J.T.Marcus said:
People are resistant to change. Once they realize your hat is a daily regular feature, they won't even notice it. Then, one day, if you forget to wear a hat, they will want to know WHY you're not wearing one! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn