Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

IRVIN NUTS?...the ULTIMATE thread for those who love 'em!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Whilst we're on the subject of "famous" Irvins here's Pierre Clostermann's in the Musée de l'Ordre de la Libération...

paris20.jpg

ethanedwards

One of the Regulars
aswatland said:
Yes I agree. This Irvin has not been heavily worn. The main Lightning zip is in tact, along with the leather pull and the collar is thick with no obvious wear.

Don Gentile was certainly a well photographed pilot but I don't recall ever seeing a picture of him wearing an Irvin. Be glad to be shown otherwise though.

Tim, I do remember reading about Pierre Clostermann having a run-in with DeGaulle, regarding his uniform - but it wasn't anything to do with his sheepskin jacket - any idea what it might have been?

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
ethanedwards said:
Don Gentile was certainly a well photographed pilot but I don't recall ever seeing a picture of him wearing an Irvin. Be glad to be shown otherwise though.

Tim, I do remember reading about Pierre Clostermann having a run-in with DeGaulle, regarding his uniform - but it wasn't anything to do with his sheepskin jacket - any idea what it might have been?

Ethan, he was wearing the riding boots and breeches of the WWI uniform. de Gaulle kicked up a bit of a stink saying something along the lines of "ridiculous". Clo-Clo tells the tale of the incident in "The Big Show".

dit dah

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the picture of Pierre Clostermann's jacket Smithy. Particularly interesting to me as he was based here at Rednal for a while. I wonder if that jacket was with him then.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
dit dah said:
Thanks for the picture of Pierre Clostermann's jacket Smithy. Particularly interesting to me as he was based here at Rednal for a while. I wonder if that jacket was with him then.

I'd imagine so dit dah. IIRC (don't have my copy with me at the mo) he mentions it a few times, one particular time fairly early on in his operational career at a train station on the way to a new posting around the time when he was on Spits. I would hazard a guess then that it was issued to him with the rest of his flying kit and he obviously hung onto it.

Edward

Bartender
Are there any recordss as to what happened Bader's Irvin etc? I prsume, given his fame, they must have ended up in a museum somewhere?

ethanedwards

One of the Regulars
Edward said:
Are there any recordss as to what happened Bader's Irvin etc? I prsume, given his fame, they must have ended up in a museum somewhere?

I've got it Edward, well tasty piece of kit, yours for a monkey guv. :)

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
So that's where it went eh Ethan? ;)

Edwatd, with most aircrew who either "went for a Burton" or became POW, flying kit was usually very quickly snapped up by the "surviving" members of the squadron, often quite ruthlessly.

Saying that, Bader's favourite cooler weather flying clothing was a 1930 pattern Sidcot. He may well have been issued with an Irvin as well but I can't recollect a photo of him wearing one, and I would be tempted to think that he may have only had the Sidcot in his dispersal locker.

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Smithy said:
So that's where it went eh Ethan? ;)

Edwatd, with most aircrew who either "went for a Burton" or became POW, flying kit was usually very quickly snapped up by the "surviving" members of the squadron, often quite ruthlessly.

Saying that, Bader's favourite cooler weather flying clothing was a 1930 pattern Sidcot. He may well have been issued with an Irvin as well but I can't recollect a photo of him wearing one, and I would be tempted to think that he may have only had the Sidcot in his dispersal locker.

I agree, the Sidcot suit was regularly worn by him. I have never seen a photo of Bader in an Irvin, but this does not mean he didn't have one. I don't claim to have it in my Irvin collection (yet)!

aswatland

1940 size 6 Irvin

This is my most recent Irvin purchase. It's a 1939 contract Irvin by Irvin Air Chute, but made in 1940. The label reads: B25526/39/C.I.B. SIZE 6 HEIGHT 5' 11"-6'-1" BREAST 40-42 WAIST 36-38. 1940.

Originally it was an electrically wired jacket, but the wiring harness was removed years ago and the stitch holes are nowhard to see. It is in outstanding condition, with very little fleece loss on the cuffs and hem. The zips are all single trunnion brass DOTs and the leather pulls are all original. The elastic collar securing strap is also original. I particularly like the contrasting tan seamtapes, collar back and belt. The finish to the reverse sheepskin is excellent and it is very supple and strong.

I have a very similar pre-War IAC Irvin which is exactly the same size and has the same features as this jacket. The actual measurements are:

Pit to pit: 24"
Sleeve from shoulder to end of cuff:27"
Across the shoulders:22"
Down the back(from base of collar):26"

015-18.jpg

016-20.jpg

028-7.jpg

023-10.jpg

018-13.jpg

020-14.jpg

026-9.jpg

027-7.jpg

025-12.jpg

030-6.jpg

jamespibworth@n

One of the Regulars
Fantastic jacket Andrew.

What a great find, you must be very pleased, especially as it fits so well. I think Irvins look best with a bit of room.

From your pictures the sleeves look wide but don’t seem to be very tapered at the cuffs, especially the left sleeve, is this right or is it me??

From what I have seem IACs do seem to be the best quality, would you agree?

James.

aswatland

Thanks James. The cuffs on IAC jackets are wider than on some makers, such as Links. The build quality of IAC jackets is usually outstanding compared with most other makers. Of course it depends on the seamstress and the quality control!

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Irvin size 8

If I ever should manage to get an original Irvin size 8 must be the one.
Anybody out there got a Irvin size 8.
I need some flat measures, please.
Armpit to armpit.
Shoulderseam to cuff.
And back.
...I have not given up hope yet!

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
What a beauty Andrew and in wonderful condition!

Nice big collar on that one, was that a typical IAC trait?

:eusa_clap

aswatland

Smithy said:
What a beauty Andrew and in wonderful condition!

Nice big collar on that one, was that a typical IAC trait?

:eusa_clap

Yes, the collar is the same size as on my pre-War IAC jacket. Large and thick with square ends.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot