Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

IRVIN NUTS?...the ULTIMATE thread for those who love 'em!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike1973

A-List Customer
Quiet Man said:
Whilst under the influence of ale I bought a third Irvin from e-bay. That was a mistake, patched and badly worn and used as a biker's jacket: smelt like a rotten sheep. Not sure what to do with it...

Hey, I resemble that remark! lol

A good Irvin would be waisted on me ;)

Speedster

Practically Family
Congratulations on the jackets. Very nice indeed. And a very good price for the original. I didn't notice the Aero on ebay. It's my size and since the seller was in Denmark, would have saved me a lot in postage and possible customs dues and vat. Guess the old Irvin from Aviation Leathercraft which i bought new back in 1989 will have to do for a little longer.

Better Duck

New in Town
what's the matter with the ELC RiRi zipper

Alan Eardley said:
Eastman - if you can stand the RiRi main zipper

Hi Alan,

Can you tell me what is IYO the matter with the ELC zipper on the Irvin? I thought they had done a good job reproducing the "box-cup" zipper on their Irvin. Not having seen any original Irvins apart from one in the IWM in London, I thought the whole ELC jacket including the zipper looked very much like the authentic one I saw there. From your remark I deduce, that you are not too enthousiatic about it? Makes me curious!

Thanks,

Peter

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
ELC Irvin zip

Hi,

The zip that ELC uses is made by RiRi in Switzerland. With some justification RiRi are often called 'the best zip fastener in the world'. They were among the first to use polymer material and are made with precision. Having said that, they use a very different technology from an original RAF jacket zip and it shows. The custom-made version that ELC uses for the main zip would pass for a WW2-era Lightning at a distance of 2 metres, particularly with the jacket closed, but a close examination shows the metal to be very different and the lead-in on some models is spliced to the (non-herringbone) tape with a plastic fillet that is very noticeable and distracting. The sleeve zips are more convincing but the stoppers are wrong.

Perhaps you could say that it is not reasonable to expect it to be otherwise for the price, but Harlan Glenn in Canada makes a Lightning replica that is totally convincing for his reproduction 1st pattern Dennison smock. You can handle it and it is virtually indistinguishable from an orginal. That's detail. It can be done.

Quiet Man

New in Town
Reducing picture size

Hi Paddy,

Would reduce the size of the picture if I could, but not sure how to do it. Weather in Anakra (the Turkish capital) is really cold in winter, in fact there's a ski resort half an hour away. My posting ends here in December and then we move to Finland, where I'm sure the jackets will get plenty of wear!

Cheers for now.

Close Shave

New in Town
Great Irvin!

Sadly, those of us built for rugby not cricket will never find an original to fit a size 48 chest!

I sometimes look whistfully at originals but eventually think why have it if I can't wear it?

Nice note on zips; how well do Aero get around that problem?

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
The Irvin

There are many who claim to make the true Irvin (RAF sheepskin BoB version)
But who comes close? Aviation Leathercraft? Eastman? Aero?
Personally I have had a Aviation Leathercraft for years now. It looks right - and it sure is warm. And heavy - but then again, it was design to fly in. Not walk around in.

Speedster

Practically Family
Spitfire,

I think you will find a reply to your question earlier in this thread. And the reply is NOT Aviation Leathercraft.

I am also the happy owner of a Aviation Leathercraft Irvin, which i bought in 1989 on their premises during a vacation in England.

I still have the first catalogue i received from them in 1979. Back then i only knew of Aviation Leathercraft and Cirrus and found/thought that the Irvin from Aviation Leathercraft was the ulitimate repro especially after also visiting Cirrus during that vacation in 1989.

Had there only been forums like this back then, there is no doubt in my mínd that i would have an ELC or Aero Irvin today as my goal was to get a very close repro.

As mentioned earlier i am happy with my jacket and it has served me well both riding motorcycles and driving open top cars all year round. The jacket has aged very well and has a lovely patina and i will not part with it.

But had i known better back in 1989 i would have bought something else and somewhere on my must have list there is still an ELC or Aero Irvin to be purchased sometime in the future.

By the way, did ELC exist then??? I know that Aero did, but they did not make the Irvin repro at that time or???

I will try to get photos of my jacket taken some day and post them here.

Better Duck

New in Town
Speedster said:
By the way, did ELC exist then?

I visited Aviation Leathercraft in 1987 and decided they were not in business for making as exact a replica A2 or Irvin as I liked. I found this out, when I tried on one of their A2's which I liked just fine (I didn't know too much about A2's back then). This jacket had a mustard cotton lining, but was a size too small. When I tried on a bigger size, it had a sealbrown nylon lining. When asked about the authenticity of a nylon lining in an A2 they said, that they were made like that too. I doubted this so much, that I decided not to buy an ALC A2 but ordered an Eastman seal house, after having spoken with Gary on the phone. What he said convinced me that he was serious about making as exact a replica as can be made.
So this was in 1987. In early 1989 I enquired about plans to make the G1, and in my documentation I have a note of Gary to me, stating that, "yes they have plans to make the G1, but right now (i.e. April '89) they are about to launch their RAF Irvin.". (Throught the years, I have saved all my correspondence with Eastman, together with their successive catalogues.)
So there is your answer.

Peter

Peter

Marv

A-List Customer
Irvin sheepskin protection & conditioning

I have just received my ELC 42 pattern vintage finish Irvin and it fits great.
The vintage finish looks great but to me it feels a little dry so I have a question on protecting and conditioning the leather.
What should I use to protect the leather and generally look after it, with the vintage finish I am not sure whether it would be conditioned in the usual way a standard sheepskin finishes etc.
Any advice would be most appreciated, especially from you chaps who happen to own one of vintage finish ELC's. :)

Marv

A-List Customer
RAF Irvin Jackets - books

Does anybody know of any books on the RAF Irvin eg. history and pics etc. that have been published at all.

Better Duck

New in Town
Hi Marv,
I think Peckards is the answer, as it is recommended stuff by most jacket owners and lovers on the VLJ forum - and you can order it from the UK -I did and received a pot of the stuff in about a week after ordering.

Sorry I have no link for you, but Google should be able to help!:)

Peter

nightandthecity

Practically Family
There are short sections on the Irvin in several WW2 flight gear/vintage jacket books but nothing substantial. I've often thought of writing such a book myself.......

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Leave the ELC Irvin well alone.

It's a new jacket with an aged look. It doesn't call for any pecards or treatments, trust me. Just wear the thing into the ground and if in several years time it's looking dry and worse for well, then..think about a treatment to rub in. But not when it's just fresh out of the package. Otherwise it negates the whole point of getting a jacket that has been made by the maker to look aged and beat up!!
Just beast it for a few years and let it naturally get more beat up looking...oh!! and enjoy it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot