Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is this Cooper A-2 an OK Find?

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Emwonk,
Welcome to the lounge! Cooper A-2s are indeed a common site on eBay. I see that the one you posted is a size 48R and that makes it less common than some of the smaller sizes. You could probably save some money by biding your time and picking one up through an eBay auction. On the other hand, You could check out the Craigslist jacket in person and try it on before you buy it. Buying a jacket that fits well is more important than saving a few bucks in my opinion. Good luck!

Emwonk

New in Town
Emwonk,
Welcome to the lounge! Cooper A-2s are indeed a common site on eBay. I see that the one you posted is a size 48R and that makes it less common than some of the smaller sizes. You could probably save some money by biding your time and picking one up through an eBay auction. On the other hand, You could check out the Craigslist jacket in person and try it on before you buy it. Buying a jacket that fits well is more important than saving a few bucks in my opinion. Good luck!

Thank you both.
Absolutely too much for $150. They are all over eBay for $50-75.

Thank you both.

El Marro I have a b3 I love that looks a little like your jacket. It's so warm it can hardly be used in Missouri except for a month or two tops.

Opious, I'm surmising $75 would be more like it, although this jacket is claimed to be an unworn gift. If it fits and it's unworn I might offer $100 just to know what I'm getting. I think 48 might be too large.

How does Cooper compare with something like Cockpit, which is acceptable to me if it fits?

The other extreme is to buy a new Aero from Thurston with a nice plaid wool lining with inside pockets. I like the a-2 but I like some of the other "dressier" jackets with pockets and all-leather better.

Maybe both?

opiusmaximus

New in Town
The cooper a2 is a very ok goatskin. It is pretty comparable to the cockpit/avirex a2 in terms of build quality. The $100 price tag is much more in line with the value. I sold a 46r cooper a2 for $92 about a month ago. There is a huge difference between a $75-100 jacket and an aero at $750-1000. The cooper is pretty decent if you're ok with not being an ultra premium a2 maker. Goatskin can take a beating.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Maybe both?
Spoken like a true jacket addict! Whenever I am forced to choose between two jackets I usually end up choosing both...
The jacket I'm wearing in the photo is an Eastman B-6. Living in California I only have a week or two every year where the jacket makes sense (and that is stretching it).
If you are looking at Aero, I think you are on the right track in selecting one of their civilian designs and using Thurston Brothers to get the fit right.

Peacoat

Bartender
Spoken like a true jacket addict! Whenever I am forced to choose between two jackets I usually end up choosing both...
The jacket I'm wearing in the photo is an Eastman B-6. Living in California I only have a week or two every year where the jacket makes sense (and that is stretching it).
If you are looking at Aero, I think you are on the right track in selecting one of their civilian designs and using Thurston Brothers to get the fit right.
Yes, definitely go through Thurston if you end up ordering an Aero. That way you are pretty much assured of a jacket that fits, which is the biggest variable of online ordering and the most important part of buying a jacket.

Gamma68

One Too Many
I'm wearing my civilian Cooper A-2 as I type. I paid $110 plus shipping for mine (on eBay). I think the price I paid is fair considering it appeared to have been worn very little if at all. It's not in the category of the higher-end reproduction A-2s, but I wasn't seeking one in that price range. It fits great, I enjoy wearing it and I've received compliments on it from strangers. I'm satisfied with my acquisition.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I'd buy one if I could find one in great condition and for the right price. I never see them going cheap, to be honest. The trick is to size down. I need a 40 long which is hard to find.

Emwonk

New in Town
Thanks for everyone's help. I ended up paying $120 vs. the $150 asking price. Given the ability to see it in person and try it on I was ok with paying a little too much.

It's a nice looking jacket and I'm happy with it. Now I can start gearing up for a civilian Aero with a nice lining and pockets.

Emwonk

New in Town
Lol the answer with this rogues gallery of enablers is always going to be "both"...

It seems funny but the "have both" motto truly pays off in quality of life. If one practices rigorous hedonism on a daily basis the correct answer comes naturally and life starts to really open up. An easy way to start on a path to hedonism is to think at first in terms of traditional values such as "flexibility," then gradually work up to wretched excess.

Sadly, we are talking about a $120 in wretched excess. But it's a start.

Blowtorch

Familiar Face
I found a Cooper A-2 in very good condition that fits perfect at a smalltown thrift store, I think I paid $12 for it. Maybe less. :cool:

I only knew what it was because of some talk on another site that referenced talk on this site.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany