Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J.A. Dubow ac20960

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
J. A. Dubow was awarded their first of four contracts for A2s on 8th August 1941. The ac20960 contract was for 13,000 jackets and very few come up for sale these days. Last month I was fortunate enough to be able to acquire a size 46 from this pre-War contract. The jacket is made from thick russet horsehide which after conditioning has become quite supple. All the Dubows that I have seen from this contract had Crown zips, but this one unusually has a M-40 Kwik zipper fitted as did first contract Cable Raincoat jackets. Has anyone else seen a Kwik zip used on this contract? It is not mentioned as being used on 20960 contracts in Gary Eastman's A2 Flight Jacket Identification Manual.

The jacket has clearly seen some action, but the lining and pocket label are in tact, although the knits are early, most likely Wartime replacements. The ball stud snaps were made by RAU Fastener Co. The jacket has a collar stand, which was not a feature of the ac 27798 contract.

Although tagged a size 46 it fits more like a typical Wartime 44. It is an interesting pattern, being relatively broad in the shoulders, with wide sleeves, but is very trim at the waist, rather different from the large 27798 contract. Here are a mixture of flash and natural light photos of the jacket.

aswatland

Thanks guys. It's a terrific jacket and a very rare beast too. Until this one I had not seen a size 46 first contract Dubow come up for sale in ten years!

GoodTimesGone

One of the Regulars
I love the variation in color tone that vintage russet jackets develop. Great patina on that one! What an excellent addition to your collection. Congratulations Andrew.

thor

Call Me a Cab
The DuBow 20960 is such a superb example of the A-2 it was the contract/model I chose when I ordered a GW repro from JC afew years ago. Truly an iconic contract and the "crown jewel" of any collection.

robrinay

One Too Many
Beautiful jacket Andrew - what a find? You must search very diligently as in my (albeit limited) experience originals are extremely rare and larger sizes are about as common as Rocking Horse droppings in the desert.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Andrew, I just noticed the indentation on the left pocket. Any idea what caused it? Too small for packets of unfiltered cigarettes or is it?

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Tim, I suspect it was made by the vet's lighter.

That's great, these little bits of personal wear give a jacket so much more character.

I take it this one is well and truly a keeper Andrew? As Thor said, it's such a lovely contract and by the sounds of it a rare beast as well.

Really? The stitching here looks pretty not-original to me.

DSC_0080_zpsd8f75470.jpg

kampkatz

Practically Family
It is a remarkably preserved jacket for its age. Even if the zipper is not original it fits in naturally and to the average observer looks like it belongs there. A fortuitous find, indeed, Andrew!:eusa_clap

aswatland

Thanks Kampkatz. The zipper is actually original to the jacket and was installed in late 1941 when the jacket was made. There are no tell tale stitch holes to indicate it is a replacement. This model of Kwik zipper was used on Cable A2s around the same time. I can see no evidence that the zip was replaced as Peter suggestion. It has been double stitched on the leather zipper tabs and single stitched elsewhere.

Last edited:

aswatland

Just to prove the zip is original to the jacket here are a couple of close-up pictures of the zip thread. There are no empty holes or double stitching. Notice the zip was sewn on before the collar snaps were attached as the snap backing goes over the stitching.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran