Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

James Dean Jacket

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
bruce wayne said:
I am just wondering if he could make it out of nylon or if it would be a cotton shell [huh]

Ask him, no good pondering here. Magnoli can do anyhting really, but you and he need to agree on what is the right look before you start. Remember the actual jacket was shiny and clearly nylon, not cotton.

Peacoat

Bartender
jon z said:
Anyway you look at it if it's going to be done it has to be a faithful repro of the McGregor Anti-Freeze JD wore - period.

Yes, and the collar has to be done right as well. There are some pictures showing the collar points on JD's jacket on the forum--maybe earlier in this thread. The Anti-Freeze collar points changed some over the years, so the version he wore must be copied exactly.

repeatclicks

Practically Family
Bruce Wayne said:
I asked Mr. Magnoli about reproducing one & if I recall correctly he said it would cost $375. However I didn't talk about what it would be made out of. If I could make an educatied guess the shell would probally be made of cotton instead of windproof nylon.

If an original showed up on ebay, you wouldnt be far off the mark on $375. It really wasn't that great of a jacket in all honesty. Id take a cherry red gab jacket over an antifreeze anyday.

Peacoat

Bartender
Let us know how you like it, fit, finish, etc. Also some pictures would be nice. I have been thinking of getting something to replace my red McGregor Antifreeze that was lost many years ago.

alfa

Familiar Face
I will keep you guys posted on the jacket.

Here are the size specs provided:
・Shoulder 49cm (19.2inch)
・Sleeve 66cm (25.9inch)
・Height 63cm (24.8inch)
・Chest 59cm (23.2inch)
・Waist 49.5cm (19.4inch)

James_Dean

New in Town
Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum. I found this post on google and I too have been searching for that perfect Dean replica coat for a long time. So far I have been putting up with an inaccurate but affordable tailored red baracuta. @Afia, what size are the above measurements? I am considering getting a jacket from The King but he says only size large is available (in American sizing I would be somewhere between a small and medium).

Peacoat

Bartender
Welcome to the Lounge, Mr. Dean. I have seen all of your movies and am quite the fan. The chest measurement Alfa posted shows that jacket to be a large, about a 44 chest size. Afraid it would swamp you. Would provide for good growing room, though.

James_Dean

New in Town
Yes the King just got back to me as well. You think a competent tailor could shove it down to a 38 for me? The King's jacket looks to be my only option right now. Either that or I ask the King again if he could possibly get a smaller size for me.

majormajor

One Too Many
When I log on to King's site, it says the jackets are sold out, so perhaps this discussion is academic ;)

James_Dean

New in Town
Well I emailed King and he said size large is available but only size large. This jacket is nice but it is already expensive and it would cost a fair amount for me to get a tailor to fix it to my size. As such, I think I'll pass.

majormajor

One Too Many
The strange thing is, most Japanese companies only stock small sizes - but King just does large ones .... Bizarre:confused:

alfa

Familiar Face
Hi James!

The sizes provided was said to be the large size.
Which was kind of strange to me as those are the sizes of the LL.
Anyways I got the L size.... and I'm really liking the jacket. I havent the time to post pics
but can email anyone if they like. The jacket is made really well. Still not the perfect jacket..
but very close in my case. I usually take a size american medium and the jacket fits me.
I'd say measure your best fitting jacket and compare the specs. thats what I did.
I find the sleeves a bit long, but the way dean wore it.. the jacket is loose on him, sleeves and body area.
Hope that helps

The site says it's sold out, but they just had a production made earlier in the month. I think they only
have L sizes.

Alfa

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
I ran actually into a vintage McGregor Anti-Freeze jacket the other week. It was actually pretty cheap and in great condition, but it was tan so I didn't pick it up. If it had been red I would've definitely bought it, but theen again, if it'd been red it probably would've cost an arm and a leg . . . .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925