Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JL Powell

Memnon

New in Town
I just got their catalogs in the mail today. Top-quality stuff, but the prices are ridiculous. $115 for Gurkha shorts? $200 for a safari shirt? The original willis and geiger one was under $70, and they were considered the most premium and expensive outfitter at the time. Makes me wonder who this newer company is trying to market to...

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
We talked about this company in the Adventure Gear thread. Great photos and interesting stuff. But the copy is outrageous. A2 jackets that aren't, RAF sweaters that aren't. It's OK to do a derivative, but they shouldn't say "faithful copy." But then we picky snits aren't their demographic.

Mike K.

One Too Many
Very true scotrace! I'd say the Powell demographic has more bucks than brains. While there is quite a bit of truth to the old adage "you get what you pay for," there is also a quality threshold for most things. Picky snits like us can often look at a catalog like J. L. Powell, admire the nice romanticized safari photos, and find the same or better apparel elsewhere at a fraction of the cost. The big name, big $$$ items often are made by the same manufacturer that sells them by a different name and substantially less money elsewhere.

I love the J. L. Powell catalogs, but use them only as inspiration.

bburtner@moran - not to discredit your post or anything. In fact I appreciate your helpful gesture, pointing folks to this catalog. By the way, welcome to the Lounge!

Creeping Past

One Too Many
scotrace said:
...the copy is outrageous....RAF sweaters that aren't....

Yes, I noted some time ago that Powell's 'RAF sweater' is also described as a submarine sweater in their copy. I can't see much difference between this item and the Peter Storm yachtsman polo neck for $105. The Powell copy is not dissimilar to J Peterman's copy, which attempts to be literary and whimsical but verges on psychotic. Seriously, would you aspire to wear a shirt in which you'd feel "real, approaching the edge of uncontrol"?.

It's difficult for a foreigner to guess the demographic of either of those companies!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy