Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ladies in Vintage Jodhpurs and breeches

GibsonGirl

New in Town
I thought I was the only one!!!

I think they're fabulous!

Actually, they've been a common sight on the runways of such designers as Hermes and Gucci at the past few years' fall fashion shows.

I think if the cut and fit is just right they can be very sexy. They can also be extremely unflattering and frumpy. Kind of the same idea as pleated pants or puffy skirts.

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Gosh, my last post was in January this year! I did get the breeches - lovely vintage ones that fit perfectly. But I can't get any pics yet as the boots are being mended! The stitching split down the back seam.

I also knit myself a riding shirt from a 1935 pattern to go under the jacket (pics in Show us what you made in the Powder Room) and got a great 30s brown felt hat, so I am completely set for looking like a vintage equestrian, even though I don't ride - yet!

DetroitFalcons

Familiar Face
GibsonGirl said:
I thought I was the only one!!!

I think they're fabulous!

Actually, they've been a common sight on the runways of such designers as Hermes and Gucci at the past few years' fall fashion shows.

*nods* Equestrian chic always seems to come back around in fashion. The Nazis killed it for men, but at least it remains for the ladies. :)

Lareesie Ladavi

One of the Regulars
Oh shoot... I still find war uniforms hot...I don't care what side of the team. ;)
Makes me think of Harrison Ford in Indiana Jones or Brendan Fazier in The Mummy.
For me, that's where the uniform thing ends. I'm not one of those cougars that swoon over the UPS guy or the mailman. hahaha!

As for women I like what we call here in the states, "knickers". Have a few pairs of those. My favs are the houdstooth pair, that I have.

Sunny

One Too Many
Miss Sis said:
Gosh, my last post was in January this year! I did get the breeches - lovely vintage ones that fit perfectly. But I can't get any pics yet as the boots are being mended! The stitching split down the back seam.
Ooh! Where'd you get your vintage ones? I've been keeping an eye out, too, but I'm also tall at 5'9" and I've been a little concerned about length. I've got tall boots already and I'd rather have breeches than jodhpurs anyway, but I'm just nervous that somehow vintage ones will still end up short.

just_me

Practically Family
Sunny said:
Ooh! Where'd you get your vintage ones? I've been keeping an eye out, too, but I'm also tall at 5'9" and I've been a little concerned about length. I've got tall boots already and I'd rather have breeches than jodhpurs anyway, but I'm just nervous that somehow vintage ones will still end up short.
Don't forget that breeches don't go all the way down your leg but stop at the bottom of your calf. So, breeches that fit might be easier to find than you think. If you have tall boots, they'll cover anything from the knee down.

Sunny

One Too Many
just_me said:
Don't forget that breeches don't go all the way down your leg but stop at the bottom of your calf. So, breeches that fit might be easier to find than you think. If you got tall boots, they'll cover anything from the knee down.
That's actually what I'm going for! I'm just nervous that somehow the knee area will be too high, or they'll pull funny... I really have no idea since I've never tried on a pair.

Sunny

One Too Many
just_me said:
Don't forget that breeches don't go all the way down your leg but stop at the bottom of your calf. So, breeches that fit might be easier to find than you think. If you got tall boots, they'll cover anything from the knee down.
That's actually what I'm going for! I'm just nervous that somehow the knee area will be too high, or they'll pull funny... I really have no idea since I've never tried on a pair.

just_me

Practically Family
I had a pair of vintage breeches with the button fly front and they disappeared somewhere along my life. Years ago, I was in a production of Mame and played Sally Cato and I looked for them for the foxhunt scene (figured the costumer wouldn't have to worry about finding a pair), but couldn't find them. I was so upset. I have no idea what happened to them.

texasgirl

One Too Many
My breeches fit great. I need to take a picture. Anyway, I'm pretty short- 5' and I was worried they'd be too long, but they hit lower calf area. The one thing I can think of that you might want to check is if there is an inside knee patch area? Not sure if it has a name. But mine hit in the right place, but if you had long legs, they might hit too high? One place that has some nice ones is Ballyhoo, but they are kinda pricey. I found mine on ebay, and I see them frequently in smaller waist sizes. My husband got some NOS 40s breeches recently, but they won't fit over his calf. May put them in the classifieds.

These are pretty cool
http://www.ballyhoovintage.com/19/19168.html

And I love this too
http://www.ballyhoovintage.com/32/32506.html

just_me

Practically Family
I'm not sure what the rule is on posting ebay links, but I just searched for "vintage riding breeches" and four pairs came up in different sizes from the same seller. All $49.50.

Sunny

One Too Many
just_me said:
Sunny might have more luck looking for men's breeches because of her height.
That's a thought. Unfortunately I have a rulebook-hourglass waist/hip difference. I'd hate to either, er, distort men's breeches that much, or have to take in the waist extensively (because I hate that sort of alteration). I'll keep looking, though!

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Sunny, I bought them at a vintage clothing shop in London that has now closed.

I didn't want to buy any on-line that I couldn't try as the fit is crucial, especially with vintage ones with no stretch, if you are tall, have larger calf muscles etc. I had tried others but often the waist fit but the leg was too short or the length was right but the waist too big etc.

My BF has bought loads that he hasn't tried on - either on the net or he just couldn't be bothered to try them and he now has several pairs that don't fit his calves! Let that be a lesson to you all......

Sunny

One Too Many
Miss Sis said:
Sunny, I bought them at a vintage clothing shop in London that has now closed.

I didn't want to buy any on-line that I couldn't try as the fit is crucial, especially with vintage ones with no stretch, if you are tall, have larger calf muscles etc. I had tried others but often the waist fit but the leg was too short or the length was right but the waist too big etc.

My BF has bought loads that he hasn't tried on - either on the net or he just couldn't be bothered to try them and he now has several pairs that don't fit his calves! Let that be a lesson to you all......
I never thought of the calves! That's usually not my problem, at least. And I'm prepared to take in the waist. Much as I hate doing it, it's a common alteration for someone with my waist/hip difference.

Buffalo Gal

New in Town
Quote... "BTW, jodhpurs are longer than breeches and go to the ankle. They're worn with jodhpur or paddock boots. Breeches fit tightly from the bottom of the knee to the bottom of the calf and are worn with either tall boots or short boots with half chaps..."

I recently had the good fortune to attend a major costume sale in London for Angels where I purchased 3 pairs of German made heavy corduroy 'breeks'. They are new with tags and date back to somewhere round the 50's or 60's. What I'm curious to know is the difference between breeches, plus 2s and plus 4s - is it just length? What I have bought buckle at the bottom of the calf and have an extra layer of fabric on the seat so perhaps they are meant for riding?

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
DetroitFalcons said:
*nods* Equestrian chic always seems to come back around in fashion. The Nazis killed it for men, but at least it remains for the ladies. :)
Weeell, the Nazis didn't have thing 1 to do with hacking jackets or tattersall vests, and they don't seem to have messed with chelsea boots, either. Just the highboot & breeches look.

So maybe it wasn't the Nazis. Heck, I've got brown shirts from the late 40s!

What it was, was the growing influence of Western US culture after WW2, and the declining desire to imitate upperclass elegance. In that context, breeches on a man implied he was effete and a bit unregenerate - unless he had to wear them (say, on the hunt). The cowboy style, otoh, was unquestionably manly - a woman could wear it, but it couldn't be quite the same.

DetroitFalcons

Familiar Face
Fletch said:
So maybe it wasn't the Nazis. Heck, I've got brown shirts from the late 40s!

What it was, was the growing influence of Western US culture after WW2, and the declining desire to imitate upperclass elegance. In that context, breeches on a man implied he was effete and a bit unregenerate - unless he had to wear them (say, on the hunt). The cowboy style, otoh, was unquestionably manly - a woman could wear it, but it couldn't be quite the same.

That's ok, the Nazis got rid of brown shirts on their own. lol

Regarding post WW2, I collect old car advertisements/catalogs. Well into the late 1960s many luxury car ads (ie Imperial or Lincoln) would show a father picking up his wife or daughter or mother picking up her daughter with that person wearing English riding gear. You are correct about the middle class on down though..breeches didn't fit in with the Chevy/Ford/Plymouth set. You are right though, post WW2 the Marlboro Man did present a manly image. Things further "evolved" with the 1970s Camel and Kool interpretations of the "outdoor" man. Riding boots don't really go with cut off short shorts. ;)

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
The outfit got feminized - an anachronism and a luxury. Like ballet or something.

I assume everybody's heard the story about the people approaching Ronald Reagan to run for governor. It was 1966 and they'd heard he rode horses. Imagine, then, the shock of pulling into the ranch and finding Reagan in breeches and cavalry boots! "This will never do," they said. "You look like an Eastern sissy!"

There was nothing Eastern or sissy about that outfit in the prewar Army Reserve or 30s Hollywood, where Reagan had gotten accustomed to wearing it. But a world war and a cold war had changed the symbolism of manliness.

Reagan saw the light, switched to Western saddle, and won the election.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner