Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ladies in Vintage Jodhpurs and breeches

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Buffalo Gal, See this thread:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?p=700668#post700668

Plus Twos or Plus Eights seems to be a more modern description. However, Plus Fours are different to riding breeches in that breeches come tight into the lower thigh, knee and calf with less material than Plus Fours which were generally worn for sport such as golf where more freedom of movement was required.

Lone_Ranger

Practically Family
Fletch said:
The outfit got feminized - an anachronism and a luxury. Like ballet or something.

I assume everybody's heard the story about the people approaching Ronald Reagan to run for governor. It was 1966 and they'd heard he rode horses. Imagine, then, the shock of pulling into the ranch and finding Reagan in breeches and cavalry boots! "This will never do," they said. "You look like an Eastern sissy!"

There was nothing Eastern or sissy about that outfit in the prewar Army Reserve or 30s Hollywood, where Reagan had gotten accustomed to wearing it. But a world war and a cold war had changed the symbolism of manliness.

Reagan saw the light, switched to Western saddle, and won the election.

Reagan may have made realized the power of media perception, from working in the movies, but he never really "saw the light."

When one reporter mentioned Reagan's California ranch, and the word "cowboy" in the same breath, Regan replied, indignantly, "we ride jumping horses at my ranch."

He had a preference for Anglo/Arabs, and owned an Italian made "English" saddle. He seemed to favor breeches, and his three-strap cavalry boots. Though there is at least one picture where is is wearing boots, breeches, and plaid "cowboy" shirt with the scalloped pockets, and snaps instead of buttons.

poggleberry

One of the Regulars
I've wanted to post on this thread for a while but couldn't find a photo to post.
This is me in my Women's Land Army uniform that I wore to a WW11 dance.
I find the jodhpurs very comfy but they do give you a baggy bottom, but the upside is that they give you long looking legs.
06190002_1.jpg

kurtarmbruster

New in Town
Happy jod-wearing dude!

I've worn my custom-made (by a wonderful Korean tailor, who took a torn-up vintage pair and replicated two new ones for sixty bucks a pop) flaring tan jodhpurs, complete with seat and knee patches, with various high boots, for fifteen years--to my job at a photo shop, to play at open mikes, to movies and country drives with my lovely wife, and whenever I damn well feel like it. It's a look that warrants strong revival for both women AND men, and I only wish I had a little company! I'm no Reaganite, but he earned my grudging admiration when he strode out onto the White House lawn sometime in the '80s and boarded Chopper 1--wearing flared tan breeches and high brown boots. That takes guts and a lot of class! (LOVED his plaid sport jacket, too).
Don't hide your light under a bushel, I say! Kurt.

NicknNora

A-List Customer
I love riding pants

I just bought a pair of vintage riding pants on ebay. I was amazed that I was the only bidder. I got them really cheap ($19.99) and they are made really well. They are a nice shade of green.

287316821_tp.jpg

287316882_tp.jpg

287316991_tp.jpg

draws

Practically Family
Nice Breeches!

I have several pairs of breeches with this same pattern. Woman's breeches were destinguished by waist (side) buttons and were fly-less. For this reason, I believe these to be men's breeches. Having said that, there is/was no reason that they could not be worn by both genders.

If I may ask, what is the waist and calf size? Typically, the mens breeches were in the 32" to 38" range. Ladies sizes would be much narrower at the waist but would then have what would be an exagerated flair.

NicknNora

A-List Customer
You're Good!

draws said:
I have several pairs of breeches with this same pattern. Woman's breeches were destinguished by waist (side) buttons and were fly-less. For this reason, I believe these to be men's breeches. Having said that, there is/was no reason that they could not be worn by both genders.

If I may ask, what is the waist and calf size? Typically, the mens breeches were in the 32" to 38" range. Ladies sizes would be much narrower at the waist but would then have what would be an exagerated flair.

You are correct, they are mens and they are a 33" waist. The calf size is approx 14". I bought them for Nick. He wore them over the weekend with black riding boots and a khaki shirt where you can roll the sleeve up and latch it with a button. He looked like Clark Gable in the movie Red Dust. Very, very sexy. The only thing missing was the scarf that Gable wore around his neck. We have one of those scarves but we couldn't find it. The next time he wears this we will have the scarf too. LOL

clarkgable.jpg

texasgirl

One Too Many
I guess mine are mens because they button up the front. I'll still wear them though! I did see these on etsy, I've never seen any like this, dated 1937:

il_430xN_79425328.jpg

il_430xN_79425244.jpg

il_430xN_79425299.jpg

NicknNora

A-List Customer
texasgirl said:
I guess mine are mens because they button up the front. I'll still wear them though! I did see these on etsy, I've never seen any like this, dated 1937:

il_430xN_79425328.jpg

il_430xN_79425244.jpg

il_430xN_79425299.jpg

Those are sharp! Like draws said I don't think it matters if we wear mens or women's. They look pretty much the same. As a matter of fact now that I know that women's have the exaggerated flair I might just want to buy men's myself or maybe I can just borrow Nicks. lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner