Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ladies in Vintage Jodhpurs and breeches

draws

Practically Family
Nice Fall Fronts

Yes, they look very much like private purchase Men's U.S. Army officer's elastique Cavalry breeches although most anyone could buy the custom made breeches in the 30's from most large clothing suppliers and tailors. The giveaway is the waist size and of course the owner's name on the tag.

Very Nice and in beautiful shape. They are highly prized in today's market and would bring a rather hefty price (approx $125-$175) depending on condition. Surprisingly, they are still in high demand and I'm surprised also that more suppliers are not reviving the style.

alden405

A-List Customer
Here is a WAC at a post war horse show

Ft Riley

Copyofimg514.jpg

This is the only pic i have uncovered of a WAC wearing mounted uniform

I have pics of WACs at Fort Reno wearing HBT coveralls on horseback,but its not nearly as suave as this

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
They can look so tough-yet-glamorous, on the right woman, in the right cut. I was lucky enough to have a pal who's grandmother was a local vintage icon (I mean real vintage, not 1970s and 80s stuff). After she passed away and the shop gathered dust for months, with various family members wandering in to take what they wanted to sell elsewhere, my friend gave me a private visit. When I asked if he'd take a check because my limited cash might not extend to the treasures I chose, he told me to keep my money! Wow. What a moment.
Most of the shoes were too small for my big old boats, but I snagged some lovely dressing gowns, blouses, satin jackets, from the 30s (as far as I can guess), five mannequin heads, and a pair of proper riding jodhpurs. Sadly, when I finally tried them on, they didn't flatter at all. (I even had a vintage velvet riding helmet to add to the look.) Being very short-waisted, it's hard for me to wear such things and no look frumpy and/or swallowed up, which is a real shame. I so looked forward to stunning the crowds at an gallery opening.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Breeches/jodphurs vs plus 4s/8s

OK, earlier in this thread someone asked what was the difference.

Breeches and Jodphurs are usually both flared out at the thighs, whereas plus fours and plus 8s are not.

P4s and p8s are more like normal suit trousers that have a cuff that fits snugly under the knee, and if the bag down 4 inches or 8 inched below the cuff, that is the difference of the names.

As far as the flattering aspect of the thigh flare, it actually disguises a lot of thigh, and makes the hips and waist seem smaller, so I prefer them on ladies!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner