Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ladies Leather?

RLM

Familiar Face
My wife has been wanting a leather jacket recently, but doesn't really want the A-2, G-1 or other military inspired look. She prefers something a little more "Ladies' Fashionish". I'm not really fond of mall jackets, I just don't expect them to hold up well, especially the thin lambskin used on so many "fashion" jackets. Any recommendations for makers that use better materials than we'd find at the mall, or for mall brands that might be fairly tough? Most of the companies that make repro A-2s seem to concentrate mostly on typically men's coats/jackets like the A-2 and G-1. Even Aero's non-military products seem geared towards men, besides, she'd freak out about paying Aero's prices for a jacket.

andy richards

Practically Family
Same problem here, mate. My wife is a "petite" and she likes to wear her leather "jeans-style" jacket. Now she's looking for a non-military leather jacket like the Aero 1930 halfbelt. We were toying with the idea of ordering one at Aero direct, but are reluctant because of sizing... We almost thought to drive over an get her sizes taken by the staff of Aero... ;)

Edward

Bartender
The Aero Thirties halfbelt, or similar design with a quit pronounved 'V' shape, would I think be readily adaptable for the female form, given the narrower than typical waist on a jacket primarily aimed at men. I should imagine the pattern would need a little alteration to allo for a lady's bust, though no doubt Aero have done this many times before, so.

P5640blouson

One of the Regulars
Designer labels is best way to go

Designer labels is best way to go if a daily leather jacket is what you are looking for for women. If you are looking for a riding jacket, then nothing less than a real riding jacket will do, for safety reasons, but that does not seem to be the case.
Having said that, some mall labels have jackets in cow.
If highline is what is in your budget, I wouldn't knock lamb, however, especially when speaking of high end designer labels because the lamb used on those $2K + jackets are very durable and consistent in their quality and processing. Certainly the mall variety are nothing to brag about nor depend on, but if you ever happen upon a Prada or Armani or Baldessarini Hugo Boss in lamb, or even better, in more expensive calf, you won't be dissapointed, but the price is extraordinary as well. Then some niche engineering designers are also beginning to use K leather, the strongest of lightweight, also at a price premium depending on design. Skip the anniversary diamond and get her a fitted jacket that will be useful for years to come instead IMO.

Gancho

One of the Regulars
Hello,

I had have the same problem. My love was inspired by my jackets and wish to own one too. we were looking for Belstaff jacket, but I was not willing to spent so much much for so less. good looking but a Belstaff costs more than 1000 €.

I talked with Amanda. She told me about the slimfit 50th Halfbelt. That was not the jacket she was looking for. I remembered that AERO was A-2 for children. Called Amanda again to ask if it is possible to create a jacket based on the children A-2.

3 weeks later we have been in Galashiels to took her massurement. The result should arrive next week. it is a A-2 in seal brown midweight horsehide with a different lining, a mouton collar, unvisible handwarmer pockets and some little changings here and there.

I will publish photo´s when it has arrived.

So long

Oliver

RLM

Familiar Face
Thanks for the suggestions. Her birthday is coming up in a couple of weeks and I'd like to get her a nice jacket. You've given me some things to consider. Unfortunately, due to price and leadtime, Aero is out of the question, but I may take a closer look at some of the higher end name brand mall jackets. I wouldn't mind spending the price of an Aero on her, but she really would flip out if I did. She didn't say much when I told her how much my Aero LHB cost, but I could tell she wanted to. Different priorities, she'll spend $150 on a pair of shoes that she only wears a couple times a month, and would probably wear out quickly if she wore them more often, but thinks spending $700 on a jacket/coat that'll be worn much more and last for years is ridiculous.:rolleyes:

eClairvaux

One of the Regulars
I got my wife a Vanson Comet, which is a nice break from the usually very fragile fashion leather jackets. That being said, I have to admit that there are a number of top designers who make very nice fashion leather jackets, albeit pricey. Among them Gareth Pugh and Loewe of Madrid should be mentioned. If second hand isn't a no-go for you, you might find what the socialites dump after the season in high-end second hand shops.

captaincaveman1

A-List Customer
Belstaff certainly makes some nice, fitted women's jackets in leather. Albeit they are rather over-priced and while I don't mind paying extra for quality, I HATE paying out the nose just for branding.

Women have different priorities when it comes to clothes. With men's outerwear I look for garments that'll last decades. Women are more in tune with fashion and don't really think about wearing the same jacket for years and years so durability is less of a factor. Well, that's my take on things based on the women in my life.

I know that if I bought a $700 coat for my gf it would be worn 10 times and then put away in the closet forever with the rest of her clothes that fell out of favor/fashion.lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou