Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ladies, what are you doing this evening?

Dixie_Amazon

Practically Family
Yesterday we learned my youngest son (17) who has mild Asperger's syndrome definitely has Primary Generalized Epilepsy. He had a major seizure, his first, in July. A sleep deprived EEG has confirmed the diagnosis.

My husband and I went to our favorite cocktail bar to be distracted for a couple of hours.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I'm sorry your son was recently diagnosed with Epilepsy, Dixie.

My friend's son has epilepsy. My friend found a lot of support through the Epilepsy Foundation. They believe his might stem through the fact he and his twin sister were born extremely premature (they are teens now, but were born at 27 weeks with one weighing one pound and the other weighing two pounds). I know my friend found a lot of support through their support groups and her son is very active with raising money and awareness for epilepsy now.

The son is doing very well now and his seizures are almost entirely controlled by medication. The only times they have had issues is that because he is a growing teen, he occasionally has a seizure when his meds need to be upped because he has outgrown the dose.

I'm not sure if you're a joiner type of person, but there is a lot of support out there if you are. I realize this is all probably really new right now, but think of it in the future when things are calmer.

Thanks ladies for your support. I had a Hell of a month. Pretty much that month is going to be known as The Month from Hell.

Tonight is an easy night. Put the daughter to bed, going to have a glass of wine and some popcorn with the husband, and watch an episode of Cheers. We're also deciding priorities as far as what windows on the new house will be replaced when- either this year before we move in or the next year.

Dixie_Amazon

Practically Family
Glad you have a quiet night. I am busily researching epilepsy. It is a coping mechanism.

We went out again last night which is our regular night out. Met some people visiting from were I grew up and a contestant from season 4 of The Voice.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Glad you have a quiet night. I am busily researching epilepsy. It is a coping mechanism.

I do the same thing. Hopefully you are better than I at taking away the positive and not focusing on the negative. I do research when I get depressed and it doesn't help.

Your son is an individual and research and medicine are often presenting generalities. Even then, there is more we don't know than we know, which I (in my better moods, which I make no pretense is all the time) try to see firmly as hope.

Eventually you'll find a new normal. But if you ever need to talk, just pm me (and that goes for any of the ladies here) and we can talk on the phone. I know what is like to be in crisis and have a life changing disease, it is not easy. But you will find a new normal and move out of crisis mode. I can't promise much, but you will get through this.

Hugs. :)

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
My husband was diagnosed with Partial Complex Seizures back in 2007. His are a lot like his brain's computer doing a random reboot. The after effects from a bad seizure can last 4-5 days, with the major effect being he develops a horrible stutter and can barely talk - which doesn't work well with his call-center based job. He's tried several different meds, but we finally found one that works (Lamictal), and a dosage that keeps the seizures at bay. The process to get to this point was often frustrating, but it is nice not having to worry about daily/weekly seizures now. We're going on 2 years seizure-free.

I hope you find what works for your son soon. Nothing is more frustrating that having a loved one suffering and not being able to instantly fix it for them.

Lenore

Practically Family
Got the crud, so I'm snuggled down on the couch doing absolutely nothing for once... If this is what happens, I'll have to get sick more often. Maybe I'll get some rest.

Apart from that, I'm browsing Monster and Career Builder, looking for all sorts of things. We'll be moving at the end of next summer, so I'm snooping to see what's out there in my new area. :)

Stray Cat

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Girl's evening:
Take a couple of girls, a warm beverage (tea, cocoa - depends on a girl).
Add to it various nail polishes and a BURDA fashion magazine (for those who are not n the know, it's those sewing magazines that feature lovely ladies at their best - why am I explaining, when you can go and see for yourslef)
..and just a bit of local gossip... that's us last night.
Much needed company, if I may add. :D

Oh, Lady Day - next time you feel as you need a beer, do stop by our place. :thumb:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Time to bring this thread back out of storage now that it's supposed to be Spring.

My night looks to be a busy one -- I've finished my duties at work for the day, so there's a ton of housework to do, including dishes, the kltchen floor, and a load of washing, which will freeze the instant I hang it out on the line, but I'm so sick of drying stuff on the line in the kitchen that I don't care. I've also replaced the speaker cloth in the radio in my office, after my cat got critical of the music and shredded the original, reglued a kitchen chair that collapsed under my weight yesterday, done my grocery shopping for the week, and cooked and eaten a steak for lunch after being overcome by a craving for red meat.

If I can get thru the night without running out of steam, I've still got to take out the garbage, vacuum, and put away a stack of books that have accumulated in the living room and next to my bed over the course of the winter. Maybe I'll even get ambitious enough to tackle the stack of books in the bathroom, too.

lolly_loisides

One Too Many
In an hour or two I will be heading to the airport to catch a plane to Los Angeles. I'm dreading the 16 hour flight, but that's what it takes to fly from Sydney to LA. Once I'm over the jet lag I'll catch up with friends & go to the TCM Classic Film Festival.

Kim Covell-Campbell

New in Town
Now that dinner is over and the dishes are done,kitchen cleaned up, I am surfing the net a bit. Watching a TCM short called "Relaxed Wife" I'll get my work clothes ready for tomorrow and either knit or cross stitch.

DecoDame

One of the Regulars
A full report from said Festival is expected!

:nod: Yes, please!

I'm gearing myself up to face the madding crowd and go grocery shopping tonight. We just baked and ate nearly the last bit of produce in the fridge (gold and red beets - yum), and we need more supplies! And tomorrow is supposed to be near 70 (!) and I don't want to spend it in a store fighting over that last batch of ripe bananas.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Wandered around town for a couple of hours after lunch this afternoon with my assistant manager, who is preparing to turn 27 this weekend. I can sort of remember what that was like. We stood on the dock and made up dialogue for the seagulls and pigeons.

dinghy.jpg

As you can see, we're all dressed for springtime.

She works in my stead on Tuesday nights, so I can wash my hair and go to bed early. Such is the highlight of my week.

lolly_loisides

One Too Many
I would much rather be attending the TCM Classic Film Festival than stripping and waxing the kitchen floor. Which is how I'm spending this evening.

A full report from said Festival is expected!

We depart LA for Australia tomorrow but when I get back I promise to post a full report. In the 4 days of the festival I saw about 14 movies! Seeing Colleen Moore in her 1929 movie Why be Good? was wonderful and even though I've seen 42nd Street any number of times on dvd it was a real treat to see it on the big screen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner