Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather Police Jackets

BigHairyFinn

One of the Regulars
Hi, I am trying to avoid the ultimate mistake of a newbie and asking the same question the 100th time, but one needs to start somewhere. And I've not seen anything on police uniform jackets atleast recently.

OK, so I am in the process of getting a jacket, or two actually if I can't combine. I'd like a lightweight "summer jacket" and then a "winter/motorbike" jacket which of course I would love to get one good or then two not so good. Like my B-6 is warm but I can't drive my car nor fit anything underneath it... Or I could take two cheap ones or just go on with my peacoat-style I found offchance. My problem is that I am, apart from big and hairy also living in Finland which makes buying off "clean-shaved yankees" about as much fun as you guys seem to have trouble buying off us "rude jerries" overseas. Please note when I get reamed in Customs its 22%VAT... So the same "caveat emptor" is Global and boy am I glad to have found this forum. Help, pretty please!

So then, I've always loved the A-2/G-1 (must be the Golden Monkey and Black Sheep I was glued watching as a kid) and then of course the "Indy" style. However as I am from a place where you dress in layers and need to move around too (and I'm 6ft 3 and have a long back) and want something "towards there" that won't walk at me on the street I think I've found "my style" which is the "Chicago Police" uniform jacket. Well, I want one without the big buttons and looking so glitzy, but then we come to the problem of size and availability.

I wear size 50L these days, 44 waist... OK, so a 48L with a 42 waist is probably what a tailor would fit me, but I want to turn inside out in my clothes, and though I have some tailored suits anything off the rack needs to be comfy. However it seems, if I buy a XXL it is some "childrens size" 46. So then I buy a 4XL and it is made for a bloke who is wider than tall with short arms, so I got a short-sleeved tent on... So 60L sleeves on a 50 chest with 65L length, as I don't wear my jeans to my armpits, but I hate the cold air coming in that way when I drive the motorcycle...

Now I've been looking at the jackets made by Taylors'... problem is that they all seem to ride a bit high... but is a size 50 tight or not? Anyone? And then I don't know if say Nate's uniforms in Chicago would/could do a tailored one... or communicate with a weird foreigner.

So what is it you knowledgeable gentlemen suggest. Anyone "in the know" about police jackets (esp. Taylor's sizing). I'm a bit apprehensive of shelling out say 500$ for something "tailored" for someone else (and get reamed in the customs) and end up with a paper-thin "subtle leather" when I wanted something off a bulletproof cow. And I know the "uniform" stuff is generally "for the wear" - like (Schott's?) NYPD 3/4coats I wish I had the money for when I was on that side of the pond. Or should I go after say a Cooper 58L G-1 and try tuck in the excess tent and wear it sleeves looking rolled up...

I actually have a "Chicago Style" , might be goatskin, fake that is "my size" if I want a tight summer jacket, would be perfect A2 size with the ribbings added to it; but if I want a winter one, that'd need space for say a shearling vest underneath...

Rambling off. I'll post a few pics so you know what I mean.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
BigHairyFinn said:
I actually have a "Chicago Style" , might be goatskin, fake that is "my size" .
If you have a jacket with the fit you want simply measure the jacket and send the info to Nates for a custom jacket.

BigHairyFinn

One of the Regulars
Oh yes, that is my plan one day. But apart from the price I'd rather at first try and find something "off the rack" and moreso preferrably vintage, a bit "run in" if you know.

Also its the distance thing... I've ordered tailored size from... US but ended someplace in India I think it was (paid in rupees) and the result was... hrmpf... the bloke who bought it on ebay was happy though. Flipside then most places I find something promising won't take overseas orders.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Aren't most police jackets purposely cut high to allow for a utility/gunbelt?

My only experience with Taylor's was when I got one of their bargain G-1s. It wasn't a work of art, but it was very, very nice for a $99 clearance jacket. I ended up returning it because it was too small: I believed the statement on their site that a Large would fit 44-46. Not so!

I'm a generally a size 46, more for my big gut than anything else (5'8", 215lbs.), and this jacket was definitely too tight in the waist and chest. I didn't exchange it for an Extra Large because I was pretty sure that an XL would be much too big in the sleeves, and probably the shoulders too. I eventually ended up getting a Gibson & Barnes M-422A instead - size 46R. (The sleeves and shoulders are a bit too big, but the waist and body length is perfect.)

Anyway, I think Taylor's sizing is off. I definitely recomment sending them your measurements, and the measurements of a jacket that fits you well, so that they can check, rather than just believing their published size listing.

And - as I've said many times here - for a summer weight leather jacket, it's tough to beat the Wested Raiders jacket in lambskin with a cotton lining. Custom-made to your measurements and very reasonably priced.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
BigHairyFinn said:
I'd rather at first try and find something "off the rack" and moreso preferrably vintage, a bit "run in" if you know.
Yes, everybody I've known who've worn CPD jackets got them off Nate's pre-owned rack or at vintage shops in Chicago. Their custom price of $250 isn't bad but the thought of breaking-in that bad boy......:(

BigHairyFinn

One of the Regulars
$250 for a custom job - for real? :eek: Now with the current exchange rates that'd be... quite reasonable. Must look into that really.

They are definitely high cut, but I've got a long back, so theres an utility ring usually left over ;) , hence I like the ribbing of the A-2/G-1... as for breaking in... sauna and lanoline/beeswax work miracles.

BTW Dr.S - do you have an idea on Cooper G-1 sizing? I'm eyeing one on ebay as a 58L and the sleeve length & torso length seem to be on the spot. However if its a "civilian cut" I fear of having to do some nip& tuck if the chest is really that circumference it would be for a suit...

The Wested I've been looking at, however I prefer the back ribbing for some odd reason, so I've been toying between the A-2/G-1 and the "Chicago". Though definitely the latter wold be most unique (well, here atleast).

BigHairyFinn

One of the Regulars
Doctor Strange said:
I believed the statement on their site that a Large would fit 44-46. Not so!

Well, I was looking for stuff now for a few days, theres an Avirex G-1 that says 4XL and "made in China". The bloke selling said the circumference was 48 inches... well, I guess thats the "childrens size" 4XL...

Lone_Ranger

Practically Family
Leather Police Jackets?

There are multiple threads on the USAAF A-2, B-3, USN G-1, and German Luftwaffe leather jackets.

Does anyone have a German Polizei coat, in their collection? I know they had a black hip-length, double-breasted coat that they issued from 1970 until just recently. It had a neat false lower right pocket so you could draw your duty pistol.

There is a more recent waist length coat used by several German states.

There are also, many departments in the US, that still wear the traditional leather patrol, or motorcycle jacket. Maybe not an "issue" anymore but as an "optional" wear.

CopperNY

A-List Customer
i wanted some horsehide, so i grabbed this one off Ebay:

!BNJZVeQCGk~$(KGrHgoOKjwEjlLmS!t7BJoN-fiH8!~~_1.JPG

issued in 1977 (not that 'vintage', but very good condition). made by Skaggerac Sportswear. Talon zipper. the breast 'pocket flaps' are non-functional. no outside pockets, two very large inside gunpockets. left inside breast has leather 'pen holder' tube. does need a good moisturizing, but i also love the lived-in look.

and, on a geeky note, i'm plainclothes but my badge prongs fit the grommets on the jacket. :)

Peacoat

Bartender
Looks like an excellent motorcycle jacket. Wish I had seen it first. A friend of mine has a leather coat he uses for a motorcycle jacket with the word, POLIZEI on the back. He is a police officer, so it fits. I haven't found one like it yet.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
I have recently acquired (for 35 GBP) a DB leather Swedish police coat that I am very satisfied with. Some people say 'Dr Who' or 'Where did you park your U-Boat?' when they see me in it.

Lone_Ranger

Practically Family
Peacoat said:
Looks like an excellent motorcycle jacket. Wish I had seen it first. A friend of mine has a leather coat he uses for a motorcycle jacket with the word, POLIZEI on the back. He is a police officer, so it fits. I haven't found one like it yet.

There seems to be two different versions. There is a waist length jacket, with a zipper, that has POLIZEI on the back in reflective letters.

There is a version that is 3/4 length that is double breasted.

Hannover Mounted Unit.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gg0p8dLnwAI

From 0:22 to 0:57 you see the first type.

At 1:21 to 1:25 you get a quick look at the second type. You get another look at 3:24 to 3:26 but Obermeisterin Thale is wearing a yellow traffic vest over it.

Of course most of the German states are scrapping the tan & green uniforms in favor of dark blue. So the leather jackets may be history. Which may be a good thing in a way. The used ones may show up as "surplus"

Or I may have to just settle for a black leather trench, like the bad guy in an Indiana Jones movie.

mulvay2008

New in Town
German Polizei Jackets

I can get German Polizei Jackets as mantioned by "PEACOAT". I just had the very same jacket, as shown in the Youtube video link below, shipped here for a friend of mine. It's a beautiful jacket complete with lettering on the back and a patch on the shoulder. More are available as well as a full body, green leather, Polizei motorcycle uniform.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gg0p8dLnwAI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaGrdtMCgj4

ortega76

Practically Family
:eek:fftopic:

Reminds me of the punks in my youth wearing Chicago PD motorcycle jackets. They still sell them at The Alley on Belmont and Clark, where I used to go when I skipped class. Ahh, nostalgia.

BigHairyFinn

One of the Regulars
Lone_Ranger said:
There seems to be two different versions. There is a waist length jacket, with a zipper, that has POLIZEI on the back in reflective letters.

There is a version that is 3/4 length that is double breasted.

Actually theres a bit different models in the "blouson" between the different bundeslands just like between different US cities. Say like "Sachsen-Anhalt" looks like a B-10 whereas the "Hessen" looks like a levis trucker pocketswise. The 3/4 jacket is more or less the same. zwei Brusttaschen, zwei Einschubtaschen (rechts mit Durchgriff), zwei Innentaschen, Metallknöpfe, Herauszipbares Innenfutter.
So two breast pockets, two side pockets(pull slit on the right) two interior pockets, metal buttons, zip-out lining. Usually these don't have the "Polizei" text on the back except on request. I've seen them go ... Häckel as low as 95,90 *new* so really... The sizes go up usually to 58 or 60 (thats US 48 and 50) but some makers go to 64. Oh and then theres the short and tall sizings...

Magic search for ebay.de the other search options you should try too.

Tony No-Toes

One of the Regulars
Aero NYPD jacket

I've not seen much discussion about this particular Aero design that I've been contemplating for a while now. I just like the way it looks right out of the box: clean, simple, and tough. My inclination today is to keep it FQHH black. I like the idea of an inch or so added to the length below the zip and fasteners; bi-swing back; and zippered cuffs.
Any opinions or fit pictures members might have would help.

DSCN1227.jpg

117988456.jpg

andy richards

Practically Family
Hi Tony,
Interesting subject. Do you want to wear it a "real" patrol jacket or just as a great looking leather jacket? If you want to use this for patrol duties keep in mind that adding an inch or so may cause problems when reaching for gear on a duty belt...
Maybe you would also consider a three inch leather strap on the lower back panel to prevent wear.
btw...Austin is a great city! Last october I visited Austin. Loved it!
Andy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21