Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather Police Jackets

Leigh H

Practically Family
How do you like it?

I really like it, it’s a well made jacket. It’s a little stiff atm, leather feels very similar to my star glove straight zip.

It’s a slim fit on myself, more a size 40 than 42. It does needs airing outside for a while, it’s smells a little damp, I get the feeling it’s been in storage.

It’s a shame the belt loops were cut off.

I really like it, it’s a well made jacket. It’s a little stiff atm, leather feels very similar to my star glove straight zip.

It’s a slim fit on myself, more a size 40 than 42. It does needs airing outside for a while, it’s smells a little damp, I get the feeling it’s been in storage.

It’s a shame the belt loops were cut off.

Excellent. Glad you like it. One of my favorites for sure. Mine was stiff too but some oil and wears, perfection. Thick, beautiful HH.

Leigh H

Practically Family
A friend was inquiring about his new police straight zip jacket.

The label was hard to read but I remember the address from one of @tmitchell59 jackets,

‘Fashion Clothes’ 2304 Mission Street San Francisco

Interesting to see another one of these.

Attachments

• F3CF220D-7379-4401-B768-1FA8E4D6096F.jpeg
    F3CF220D-7379-4401-B768-1FA8E4D6096F.jpeg
    247.2 KB · Views: 111
  • 8B7A757E-8828-4E18-BC0E-B1BE1C48DAC9.jpeg
    8B7A757E-8828-4E18-BC0E-B1BE1C48DAC9.jpeg
    423.8 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_2107.jpeg
    IMG_2107.jpeg
    176.9 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_2106.jpeg
    IMG_2106.jpeg
    168.6 KB · Views: 98

Nacho

Practically Family

The label was hard to read but I remember the address from one of @tmitchell59 jackets,

Nice jacket, Leigh!

Was it one of those stores that sells jackets made by other people?

Last edited:

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up

I have seen another Fashion Clothes labeled jacket. My Fashion Clothes is a Ralphs-Pugh with their 1938 Steerhide label in green. The only proof I have that RP made jackets for other retailers.

Fashion was a retailer not a maker

Fifty150

One Too Many
More than likely, Fashion Clothes was a retailer from what Terry has said.

Fashions Uniforms was an actual uniform store. A small one. They did not make leather jackets. They sold uniforms to law enforcement officers. The jacket was manufactured by a contract manufacturer, and their label was applied.

In California, the single breasted and double breasted leather jackets are used by different agencies. The largest agency, The California Highway Patrol uses both styles. Different agencies up and down The State will default to one style or the other. San Diego Leather and Taylors Leatherwear offer a similar jacket.

1689737480771.png

1689737660761.png

1689737544130-png.533525

1689737707111.png

Attachments

• 1689737544130.png
    1689737544130.png
    196.1 KB · Views: 466

Leigh H

Practically Family
Fashions Uniforms was an actual uniform store. A small one. They did not make leather jackets. They sold uniforms to law enforcement officers. The jacket was manufactured by a contract manufacturer, and their label was applied.

In California, the single breasted and double breasted leather jackets are used by different agencies. The largest agency, The California Highway Patrol uses both styles. Different agencies up and down The State will default to one style or the other. San Diego Leather and Taylors Leatherwear offer a similar jacket.

View attachment 533524

View attachment 533526

1689737544130-png.533525

View attachment 533527

Interesting!! They must of been related / part of the same business, i found this which the address 2298 Mission st is just a few doors down from the 2304 mission st mentioned on the label.

Screenshot 2023-07-19 at 12.19.44.png

Fifty150

One Too Many
Fashions moved around several times. Fashion(s) Uniform(s) disappeared sometime around the 1990's. From what I recall, they were a small mom & pop shop. They were not able to keep up with the increase in demand. It was a decade that saw law enforcement agencies increase staffing. There was a POTUS who signed a "crime bill", which allocated federal dollars for local public safety. And also, computers became more prevalent. Larger cities were transitioning to electronic purchase orders, and the old guy running the shop didn't own a computer. Without a computer, he could not fill purchase orders. Not to mention that guys were getting pants from there, and one leg would be longer than the other leg.

hieu

A-List Customer
All Weather CHP
DSC03293.jpg

DSC03295.jpg

DSC03300.jpg

DSC03302.jpg

I got this jacket a while back on a cheeky eBay bid. It's in very rough condition. Busted seams, busted main zip etc. Thankfully the leather is in great condition with some beautiful patina. It's super comfortable and will likely be one of my beater jackets. It's going to take a lot of repairs to get it into working condition but thankfully repairs are relatively cheap in Viet Nam.

Fifty150

One Too Many
There were police and "alphabet soup" agents from every agency that you can imagine. From very small, local townships, community colleges, park rangers, to federal level. Those were the motorcycles for just one motorcade. There were dozens of motorcades. All of the foreign dignitaries also had protective service from their own nations. What you see in the photographs are motorcycles from an assortment of police departments. Some Harley. Some BMW. And the leather jackets were a collection of whomever that agency's supplier is. You can always tell the Nor-Cal guys apart. The "culture" of the locals is that they do not sew patches onto the jackets, and they do not wear the gun belt over the jacket. Those jackets don't have the belt keepers. For people into that kind of stuff, there's a reason why every piece of equipment is on the belt, and what position it's in. And then you find out other things, like how some guys wear the belt around the hips, instead of attached to the waist of the pants.

Eddiesuave

Familiar Face
Welp went down a rabbit hole here. To say the least some of the best and most complimented jackets I own.

Aero Leather C.H.I.P.S:

F12B16F2-B621-4CFF-8D82-FB115AD5BA52.jpeg

Taylor Leatherwear CHP: Extremely pebbled soft leather, lining is really thin nylon, but the collar is great.

E8C12B2F-D03E-4DD0-9CD6-EA056A16C606.jpeg

Taylor’s Leatherwear Indianapolis: My personal favorite, quilted lining, really nice grain and good cuffs/pockets
26BB7612-D9BA-488E-9DF7-0AECB7FE3D22.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran