Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Let's Retire these Cliches

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Have a nice day...

It has even spread over here, in many shops you hear it.
Even telesalespeople use it, even after I have told'em loud and clear, that I AM NOT INTERESTED IN THEIR B..... OFFERS!!!! - have a nice day! :eusa_doh: :eusa_doh: :eusa_doh: As if you cared???

Say it like you mean it - or shut up!

ShortClara

One Too Many
At the end of the day...

One of the most horrid little men I've ever had the displeasure to work with used this ad nauseum. :rage:

Ack-Shully

My reply lately to "Have A Nice Day" is "You have made it one" and they are disarmed.

Actually, I could go an actual year without actually hearing an actual TV newsreader (note I did not say "Reporter"?) actually get through an actual broadcast without actually using the "Ummm" of our day, and that's actually true.

Then there the apostrophe rolling in it's grave.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Paisley said:
We could replace "drama" with "hijinks." It connotes the appropriate sense of immaturity that is most drama. Instead of saying, "I want to get a place where I don't need drama in my life," one could say, "I'm getting tired of all these hijinks."

But not, "Life is too short for..." That's another one to retire.
Hijinks is good.
How about, "Shenanigans" also, for more emphasis?

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Maj.Nick Danger said:
Hijinks is good.
How about, "Shenanigans" also, for more emphasis?

Shenanigans--that sounds like a friend's last romance: an illegal alien, a lesbian wife with a lesbian lover, kickbacks, sabotage, lots of lies...I didn't know the half of it when I told this friend, "This isn't love." If only I had added, "This is shenanigans!"

The guy wasn't even good looking. [huh]

panamag8or

Practically Family
Forgotten Man said:
Let us not only retire the use of the word, but let us retire the cause for the word most of all!!! :cheers1:

As a side note regarding words that are used too much today, let me ad swear words... we know what they are so, I wont type them but, I'm getting very tired of hearing so much cussing... I'm guilty of this too, but, it's so easy when so many people swear today. I'm trying to use old time slang and words you hear in old movies to replace such common four letter words... yeah, I'm a dork but, I'm ok with that.

FM~

I have actually found myself using the internet forum inspired "F!" or "F'in" in my vocabulary, rather than the original words they came from. I guess that's an improvement.[huh]

dr greg

One Too Many
very local it seems

dhermann1 said:
Haven't heard that at all over here. Is it used in Britain? In what context is it used?
Two words that could be taken out at sunrise and shot:
"Awesome!" (US)
"Brilliant!" (UK)

Dunno bout the UK, but here it is the endless reply to any request or agreement that a task of ANY kind be completed, from returning a phone call, to building a house, and generally means that the clown saying it will not do what he says he will! But we must be thankful that it has seemed to have taken over from the even more annoying "not a problem".
And while I'm at it: the death penalty for stupidity should be enforced where politicians and business types refer to situations or projections etc etc, "going forward"...well they can't go backward can they, unless a time machine has been invented....aaaaagh!

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
OMG OMG OMG!!!!!! I ain't retiring that one any time soon :p

But seriously, there's one that tops my list, and it is this one:

:rage: "I have issues with ..." :rage:

OMG how I hate that one! lol

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
"Have a good one!" which often sounds like "Havagudun!"

A good one...of what?

I don't know why I hate that phrase so much but I do.

One that used to drive me nuts but that seems to have died out (thankfully) is "He/She's all that" or "He/She's all that and a bag of chips" if someone had the energy to say the whole phrase.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Are we talking with type, or verbiage?

Cause' when Im talkin' I say 'Queen Mary', but when typing, if I manage to spell it right, I type 'QM'

Im just sayin'

Word.

LD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran