Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Limited Edition Himel Bros avail. at Orvis?

I would go out tonight

One of the Regulars
I really like the look of Himel's jackets but if I do a 'years left to live' against cost ratio, they just do not work out for me. However, if anyone has a used Himel in 46 for sale, let me know. I feel the same about the jackets from the makers in Japan. Pictures of them actually give me a bit of a panic attack but then I check the sizing and calm down.
Could someone let me know what the difference between, say, a brakeman and a Chinook is? Both have the palpitation factor but there is a significant price difference.
To me, this Orvis Himel looks like a bargain for our US brethren. Unfortunately by the time it made to the UK, with VAT and import, it would be double the price of an Aero work Coat in Vicenza

Edward

Bartender
Opinion based, no?

Isn't it always?

Lastly, if we are being truly honest, it is hard to deny that Aero receives favored status on TFL.

Speaking from behind the bar... Let's be very, very clear about this. TFL as an entity has no 'favoured makers'. TFL has never, and will never, be geared to push any particular maker over another. Aero is undeniably very popular among the members of TFL. Possibly moreso than any other brand, and for all sorts of reasons. Some people will prefer something else. That is absolutely fine too. All we ask is that people remain civil, don't fly off the handle, respect others, and, for the sake of harmony, learn the difference between subjective and objective.

This discussion has really went off the rails...o_O I mean really...and yet it goes on and on.

Plus can change, plus la meme chose.

If you think of it in terms of a graph on which you plot quality vs cost, then it comes out at as an arc. That is to say there's optimum price/quality point for everyone, and it varies for each individual. Once you pass this point, it becomes a case of diminishing returns, and I have to say that Himel's prices versus what he offers sits that the far end of the arc for me . I speak as someone with a GW on order, who sits just on the right side of my comfort zone - I'm sure I'll still be hurting when I hand over my card details, but I love his work and can see what he does.

Bingo! I've seen this same argument so many times over in electric guitar world it's untrue. The Law of Diminishing Returns and Subjectivity.

That and, well, no matter how ornate PRS can be, some of us would always simply rather a Telecaster. ;)

Personally, though, I find the use of the term zionist, even as an attempt at humour, in poor taste: it's a word freighted with all sorts of unpleasant meaning and to use it as a stick to beat people to happen to prefer a different maker to your own favourite one is jut uncalled for. .

Yes, let's please stay away from this sort of political terminology, especially something with such contemporary usage.

Group hug!

Bloody hippy.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
I totally get the perspective of both sides here. I also get why some people might get offended by one or the other writings here.
I'm just so very happy with my DD, haha. I think it looks so much better than all Aeros and Himels I've seen and touched and worn. So, I don't feel offended, just because I'm so content with my beautiful life in my beautiful leather jacket which kicks all other jackets ' asses! Uargh!
(This comment derived from my age and experience in life! Haha)
That's awesome! I can't argue with this at all. I remember your DD being probably my favorite jacket from him on this forum

Reactions: A-1

lina

Practically Family
I totally get the perspective of both sides here. I also get why some people might get offended by one or the other writings here.
I'm just so very happy with my DD, haha. I think it looks so much better than all Aeros and Himels I've seen and touched and worn. So, I don't feel offended, just because I'm so content with my beautiful life in my beautiful leather jacket which kicks all other jackets ' asses! Uargh!
(This comment derived from my age and experience in life! Haha)

Remind us, with a pic please, of your DD... (I am really interested in seeing it, just to be clear!) @A-1

A-1

One Too Many
Forest Fighter! Bring it on!
3cd79cba43e7c610089f354d95da2499.jpg

03572c941a3b2f67259c7fd97e8df91a.jpg

aa285766e589e5eff03c7d92ac8f0135.jpg

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
All this talk about Himel and so few pictures. I haven't been wearing the Heron, but got it out for these pics. It remains fairly new looking. The last few fit pictures are stills from a Video and give the Black finish a different look. This is the only Himel I own. I bought it second hand. They don't show up often on the secondary market. There is currently a very nice Goatskin on ebay, but too small for me.

All this talk about Himel and so few pictures. I haven't been wearing the Heron, but got it out for these pics. It remains fairly new looking. The last few fit pictures are stills from a Video and give the Black finish a different look. This is the only Himel I own. I bought it second hand. They don't show up often on the secondary market. There is currently a very nice Goatskin on ebay, but too small for me.

That is a beautiful jacket Terry and it suits you to a tee.

Benj

One of the Regulars
That was pretty informative. Having transparency like that is excellent.

This is absolutely amazing, it has to be due to all the flack aero has been getting on this forum... lol.

1. Has there ever been an example of high stitch count leather tearing?
2. Is their method of sewing zippers why Aero has wavy zippers and many japanese makers are laser-straight?
3. Is there an example of skivved seams tearing (?) or breaking away?

I would go out tonight

One of the Regulars
This is absolutely amazing, it has to be due to all the flack aero has been getting on this forum... lol.

1. Has there ever been an example of high stitch count leather tearing?
2. Is their method of sewing zippers why Aero has wavy zippers and many japanese makers are laser-straight?
3. Is there an example of skivved seams tearing (?) or breaking away?

Before things get out of hand, perhaps we should chip in to buy some examples of jackets from different manufacturers. We could then pay an objective expert to try to tear them and measure the straightness of the seams and, particularly, zips. Bill Kelso could do the tests as we already know their jackets are best, and this test would be for second place.

Harris HTM

One Too Many
Before things get out of hand, perhaps we should chip in to buy some examples of jackets from different manufacturers. We could then pay an objective expert to try to tear them and measure the straightness of the seams and, particularly, zips. Bill Kelso could do the tests as we already know their jackets are best, and this test would be for second place.

Seriously, this would be an interesting topic for a Materials Engineering Master thesis: parametric analysis of leather and seam configuration.
First some tension tests, then FEM models calibrated to the tests and then definition of the parameter range: thickness, elasticity and tensile strength of parent material and thread thickness, configuration (orientation) and count per inch.
I wish I were a professor at a Technical University!

When was this post

When was this posted?

It's been there for a while. I always forgot to link to it while we're discussing qualities... XD

But to be honest, I don't remember ever reading that bit about the close stitching not being a smart idea. I've only heard that from a local leather jacket workshop, the machinist told she has had many jackets in for repairs that have actually ripped along the stitching line 'cause the stitch holes were too close together (these were really light jackets, though, lamb and such).
She then had to do double stitch rows, first one to cover the tear and second row to secure the seam from ripping again.

That's also where I have learned that a pure cotton thread is not really a good idea anymore. There's even a lifespan for it but I forgot. Cotton/polyester mix thread is supposedly the best.

Last edited:
Not second place, first loser.

I think the seam stitch count and shaved folds, in most cases, for people wearing their jacket casually would likely not be a problem. For those who treat them more harshly, working in them or for use on a motorcycle it could be an issue. I don't know if it really would or not but the logic behind it seems plausible. The reason zippers become wavy has absolutely nothing to do with stitching count. As a jacket breaks in, the body develps wrinkles and folds just like the sleeves. It would be literally impossible for the zipper to remain totally straight on any jacket, unless it was never worn. The zipper is going to follow the same behavior of the leather it's sewn too. All of my Aero and Vanson jackets had arrow straight zippers when new and all became wavy to various degrees, after being fully broken in, following all the same creases formed around torso and chest of the jacket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21