Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for a hat

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Rafal said:
Thank you all for being so helpful and inviting. I saw the picture of Jonny Depp wearing a hat in the moview "Public Enemy"
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=45408and it really appealed to me. Do you know what modern hat would look simillar to it?
On another hand, what's your opinion of Biltmore hats? I like the idea that they are made fairly close to where I live (Toronto if I'm not mistaken). Are they of decent quality?

Thanks again,

Rafal

Optimo made the hat for Public Enemies and they are currently offering it as the "Dillinger" model in the correct Ox Blood felt. There are some differences between the hat shown on their website and the hat seen in the film...some members here believe that the film hat is a different hat entirely, some believe it was modified by the wardrobe department.

GClark

One of the Regulars
scottyrocks said:
The chances of a new hat wearer finding their ideal hat on the first buying attempt is slim. If there's a hat shop near you, that is merely a starting point because the majority of today's factory made hats are stylistically inferior to what they are trying to emulate, which are vintage, and custom made hats, which are closer to vintage in materials and workmanship because dedicated craftsmen make them.

I say first look at as many pictures of fedoras as you can find. There are threads here that will show you just about everything that exists. Then go to sites such as the Akubra sites (hatsdirect) to see good factory made hats. Then go to the guys that custom make hats - Art Fawcett at Vintage Silhouettes, Optimo, Penman, and Steve and Marc at Adventurebuilt, to name a few. Although AB makes only Indy hats, you will get quite an education about fine hats there. In fact, all of these talented men's sites will open your eyes as to what a great hat is all about.

You make a good point - most people are going to make some mistakes on their first (and sometimes second and third) hat purchases. Maybe not really bad mistakes, but ones you look back at and say - I wish I had that one to do again.

You can be really careful about your first purchase, or you can jump in at a low price point and just find out what it is you like and don't by experience to minimize the chance of sincere buyers remorse down the line... (of course you might also get lucky the first time with a great hat that works for you)
GC

cybergentleman

A-List Customer
nice colors

I like the felt colors that biltmore offers. but, I am not a fan of modern taper. I feel like they make you look like you are wearing a witch hat.

like i tell most people- go to a hat store, try on a number of styles and see what works. then go order :)

carldelo

One Too Many
Rafal said:
Hi Everyone,

I think I'll just jump in and order a hat. What do you think of this one?
http://www.hats-plus.com/p-678-biltmore-stewart-fedora.aspx

I'm tossing between Black Oak and Steel. Any suggestions?

Rafal

Looks pretty good for a starter lid - similar proportions to the Stetson Ashland. If your coat is black, I'd get the gray hat, if it's an earth tone (tan, brown, whatever) I'd get the black oak which looks to be a very dark brown. Sometimes a tonal ribbon (matching the felt) like on the black oak can seem less 'loud' than a hat with a contrasting ribbon (black over gray). But both of these colors are pretty basic. Hats-plus has the Ashland as well - you might check it out for comparison. I have it in dark brown and gray and they are my daily hats. Theirs is old stock on sale - I got my pair in person from Bencraft in New York (lucky to have them nearby). Good luck and post what you decide.

PS I notice that the brim width of the Ashland isn't listed - it's 2-1/4", wider than the Stewart. Also the brim is an underwelt - folded under and stitched. This makes it thicker along the edge which helps the brim keep its shape and I find it makes the hat easier to hold onto when carrying.

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Rafal, I know modern Stetsons generally get a hard knock here on the Lounge, but I have had very good experiences with mine. They have many different styles and good color choices. They do have more taper than vintage or the Akubras, but that varies with the model. Don't write Stetson off without looking.

Nice to have you on the Lounge!

Richard Warren

Practically Family
While I am not in theory a fan of modern taper, I find that in practice a hat with a modern pre-shaped crown tends to look good on ordinary people. A high, straight crown sounds nice, but on me at least ends up looking like too much hat.

theinterchange

One Too Many
Richard Warren said:
While I am not in theory a fan of modern taper, I find that in practice a hat with a modern pre-shaped crown tends to look good on ordinary people. A high, straight crown sounds nice, but on me at least ends up looking like too much hat.

Haha Sorry, I thought your "ordinary people" line was funny. I'm assuming you mean folks who aren't used to wearing real hats, right?

Randy

carldelo

One Too Many
theinterchange said:
Haha Sorry, I thought your "ordinary people" line was funny. I'm assuming you mean folks who aren't used to wearing real hats, right?

Randy

Well for me at least, a high straight crown makes me look like I'm wearing my daddy's hat and trying to look all grown up. The moderate, modern Stetson taper, however, looks just right --- they're real hats too. I've been wearing hats for 30+ years and am used to wearing real hats, vintage and modern.

cybergentleman

A-List Customer
it's really hit and miss

i remember a few years ago i tried on a straw (modern) open road style (forget the make) - i looked like a fool in a double peaked dunce cap with a brim, yet the panama i settled on had taper and a center dent medium pinch in the front...maybe it was scala brand; looks nice and sharp. so it varies

straight sided crowns do look more old-school, but depending on crown height, i think they give you a lot more versatility in terms of bashing and style.

pre-shaped crowns only work if you try them on in the store IMO.

Richard Warren

Practically Family
If you're still thinking about your first hat, you might want to look at this guide:

http://www.felthats.com/hats_info/style.html

I'm not saying the guide is perfect or you have to follow it, just that it tends to show that different hats shapes might suit different people.

By ordinary people,I meant generally people who do not look like they are or should be in a movie. People tend to see Bogart or Harrison Ford or Johnny Depp in a hat and want one like it. People even start to believe that only such hats are real hats. To paraphrase Baudrillard, the image starts to precede the reality. The sad truth is that most of us do not have the strong features to pull off a look that is after all the creation of art, not reality. It seems to me that Stetson and other manufacturers realize this and generally make their hats to suit more, well, ordinary people.

As to whether such hats are real hats, I wear mine and they keep the rain off my head.

theinterchange

One Too Many
carldelo said:
Well for me at least, a high straight crown makes me look like I'm wearing my daddy's hat and trying to look all grown up. The moderate, modern Stetson taper, however, looks just right --- they're real hats too. I've been wearing hats for 30+ years and am used to wearing real hats, vintage and modern.

It's all about getting the hat matched to you.:) I look funny in really tapered hats, so I know where you're coming from.

gtdean48 said:
Well put! Bartender, put whatever Richard is having on my tab & I'll take one, too.

Agreed! very well put Richard. I knew what you meant in your comment, just sounded funny. You're dead on.

Randy

Carlisle Blues

Welcome to the Lounge !!!!!!!!!!!!!!;)

Hey I am looking to let this baby go...

46c4f198.jpg

carldelo

One Too Many
Garrett said:

Geez, Garrett, you give the exact same response to every single thread.

Do you really think all vintage hats are better than all modern hats?

How do you expect hat shops to survive in this world if everyone follows your advice and buys strictly vintage? Are you saying we should be putting our vendor-members out of business?

Garrett

carldelo said:
Geez, Garrett, you give the exact same response to every single thread.

Do you really think all vintage hats are better than all modern hats?

How do you expect hat shops to survive in this world if everyone follows your advice and buys strictly vintage? Are you saying we should be putting our vendor-members out of business?

Since you asked -

YES, every vintage hat I've touched MADE PRIOR TO 1960 has beat out every modern hat I've touched - please keep in mind that I don't rate this lightly and have owned and still do own many hats. Even with all the vintage hats I've acquired I have also purchased hats from several of our modern custom vendors here.

Go ahead and ask Art, he'll tell you - If you can buy vintage then buy vintage. Do you really think when he mentions this it puts him out of business?

I'm tired of hearing the melon heads on this lounge bicker about vintage being un-attainable. They just aren't willing to put the patience, time and effort into SAVING UP and SEARCHING until they find one but they are out there to be had.

If you don't live near a thrift/antique/junk shop AND ebay has not yet yielded what you are after then contact fellow lounge members in major cities that have access to these vintage shops and ask them politely to keep an eye out for a decent vintage lid in your size - I have several such arrangements with several members on this lounge.

I would be very glad to see more vintage hat threads here than another akubra, fed, whatever - Preserving and promoting history is what we're doing, Carl.

carldelo

One Too Many
Garrett said:
I'm tired of hearing the melon heads on this lounge bicker about vintage being un-attainable. They just aren't willing to put the patients, time and effort into SAVING UP and SEARCHING until they find one but they are out there to be had.

Coming from someone with a size 7 head, I find this comment ridiculous. Please don't call me melon head unless you'd like to be called something derogatory as well, OK?

Garrett said:
Preserving and promoting history is what we're doing, Carl.

I find this remark quite condescending. You don't speak for the forum as a whole any more than I do, and therefore have no more claim on knowing what its function is in the world. You prefer vintage, and see the lounge as a way to promote that, I get it. I see the lounge as a forum to talk about hats, both vintage and modern, OK?

Carlisle Blues

Garrett said:

I respect your position, but, I disagree.

Rafal I suggest you go with what you are comfortable wearing. I have "moderns" they are fine. They serve my purposes and I enjoy the quality of my hats.:)

ummmmmmm except for the one I posted previously that is an abomination. That is vintage and will not just die an natural death.;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran