Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for a hat

Peters Bros. is great and they will be very helpful with fit, etc.

Also, if you're that close, you're within distance of Hatco's Garland outlet. A plethora of Stetson, Dobbs, and Resistols await your head to try on.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

Bill Hughes

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Outstanding. I did not know Hatco has an outlet in Garland. It's a couple of hours from my home but I work in Dallas. So I will be heading over there one day after work.

Bertie.Wooster

One of the Regulars
Well, its a contagious disease going through the household, after the purchase of my first straw boater, my mother wanted one. SO I bought her an Olney SM6 and now Pops (dad) wants one as well.

Mother thinks boater wouldn't suit him, which I agree as well. My Pops is a formal man and works in the education industry so I am looking for a good hat that should fit him well in all seasons and in schools.

I was thinking of a grey Panama style felt Homburg or a Borsalino...... Any suggestions?

Outstanding. I did not know Hatco has an outlet in Garland. It's a couple of hours from my home but I work in Dallas. So I will be heading over there one day after work.

Well, not just the outlet. This is the factory, as well. they produce Stetsons there. And the folks who work there are very helpful. It's well worth the trip.

Well, its a contagious disease going through the household, after the purchase of my first straw boater, my mother wanted one. SO I bought her an Olney SM6 and now Pops (dad) wants one as well.

Mother thinks boater wouldn't suit him, which I agree as well. My Pops is a formal man and works in the education industry so I am looking for a good hat that should fit him well in all seasons and in schools.

I was thinking of a grey Panama style felt Homburg or a Borsalino...... Any suggestions?

This is a darned near impossible suggestion to make without seeing the man. Also, "Borsalino" is not a style, it's a brand, and they make numerous styles of hat. Certainly one would be suitable for him.

RJR

This is a bit repetitive but a visit with the folks at Peters Brothers is a great suggestion.They will let you try any number of hats (PB custom and brand name) and give suggestions.I've done business with them on several occasions and have been very happy.
Akubra certainly make fine hats;I suspect that the FED IV & Campdraft are among the most popular with Loungers.At the price,you can hardly go wrong.

Bill Hughes

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I made it to Hatco today. This is the haul. All Stetsons.

Metropolitan - sage with Brown Band $64.50
Ripley - natural with Navy Band $45
Temple - caribou $45
Tehachapi Loop - navy $70
Tehachapi Loop - black $70
Tehachapi Loop - chocolate $70

Yea, I know 3 Tehachapi Loops is excessive but... their are just such a nice looking lids. My wife was with me and she couldn't decide. So six hats $364.50 plus tax. Looking online that's about the price for two.

Bill

RJR

I made it to Hatco today. This is the haul. All Stetsons.

Metropolitan - sage with Brown Band $64.50
Ripley - natural with Navy Band $45
Temple - caribou $45
Tehachapi Loop - navy $70
Tehachapi Loop - black $70
Tehachapi Loop - chocolate $70

Yea, I know 3 Tehachapi Loops is excessive but... their are just such a nice looking lids. My wife was with me and she couldn't decide. So six hats $364.50 plus tax. Looking online that's about the price for two.

Bill
That's a heck of a haul.:D

Bigger Don

Practically Family
Should the brim on a snap-brim be up when not being worn? Or does it matter?
From what I've seen and heard, it doesn't matter. From my own perspective, as a noob, keeping it down has helped me to learn that when setting a hat on a flat surface like a table or piano, it goes crown down ... like yer begging for money to buy yer next hat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran