Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for a hat

cptjeff

Practically Family
carldelo said:
Coming from someone with a size 7 head, I find this comment ridiculous. Please don't call me melon head unless you'd like to be called something derogatory as well, OK?

He's not referring to you. Just because you're quoted does not mean the comment is addressed to you alone, nor does it mean it refers to you alone.

But as another size 7 head, I will say that it was a bit of a silly comment. Vintage hats may be out there, but it's a lot harder for the guys with big melons to spring for one, as they're both harder to find and in higher demand. Price does factor in for many people. A decent 60s size 7 hat often runs around $30 shipped, if that. Rarely do 7s exceed $50 or $60. Compare that to a 7 5/8. Bigger headed guys have a legit gripe.

MadDawg

Familiar Face
Being new to the fedora world myself, I would strongly recommend experimenting with size and style before investing in a permenant fixture on your head.

I am getting ready to order a custom Art Fawcett, but I have already spent a little money ($100+) on lesser hats simply to find a style and fit I like. I currently have 3 wool hats that I picked up cheap, just to adjust to my preference and gain a feel for what I liked. Then I picked up my first 2 fur felt hats. One on this site, and one in an outlet store. They cost me a little more, but have served to better my knowledge before investing $300 on a custom.

So at the end of the day, I will have THE hat I want with very slim chance of buyers remorse (and a couple of beaters just for fun or rain days). In my experience, when trying something new, the first attempt(s) always have a margin of "I wish I would have..." The cost will be minimal and you will be able to make a better committment to what you really want.

carldelo

One Too Many
cptjeff said:
He's not referring to you. Just because you're quoted does not mean the comment is addressed to you alone, nor does it mean it refers to you alone.

Ah, I see and I think you're correct - however, I am a melon-head, size 7-3/4. Vintage is great - but I've found only 1 in 30+ years - a beautiful NOS Cavanagh. If that hat was available today, it would probably cost $300 (not the $0.75 I paid).

But the real point is I don't wear hats to keep the past alive - I wear them to look good, cover my head, etc. I do not have a mission to seek out vintage, nor do I consider it necessary. Modern Stetsons happen to look good on me, better than the Cavanagh I mentioned. I'm not talking felt quality - I completely agree that vintage felt is superior - but the shape and proportions.

And I wasn't kidding about vendors - buying only vintage means hat shops disappear.

PS just read MadDawg's comments above and I think that's a great approach to getting into hats - my progression was very similar.

hatted

One of the Regulars
I bought a selentino a few years back. It looked quite nice online, but the quality of the hat in my hands was sub-par. There may be various quality levels in selentinos, but I would never purchase another.

I'm a melon head, 7 5/8 Long Oval, not quite a 7 3/4 like Carl. I've got some nice vintage lids as well as some modern ones. The modern Akubras are nice but the modern Stetson Roadmaster isn't up to the Campdrafts I bought last year. My VS Wanderer in ArtLite is comparable to my vintage Royal Stetson Casual & Stratoliner & my Buckaroo Hatters dress weight custom is comparable to my vintage 3X Stetson Open Road. My Sears Pilgrim is so nice & then there is the Stetson 100. It takes a work of Art or Major Moore to get a modern up there with my vintage hats. Vintage in my size are pricey but they are out there.

filfoster

One Too Many
Big Tent

carldelo said:
You don't speak for the forum as a whole any more than I do, and therefore have no more claim on knowing what its function is in the world. You prefer vintage, and see the lounge as a way to promote that, I get it. I see the lounge as a forum to talk about hats, both vintage and modern, OK?

Carldelo, that's what I think too. The Lounge is a big, welcoming place. It's big enough to allow all of us who love hats of whatever sort (except for beanies, perhaps, but that's for another thread), to show and tell and argue. I think only MK speaks for the lounge because, uh, he owns it.

Rafal

New in Town
Now onto a summer hat...

Hi Everybody,

I have had a Biltmore Stewart for a few months and really enjoyed it. At first I was self conscious about wearing it in public, but once I did, I not only found that it was very comfortable but if I ever got a comment, it was a positive one. It got to the point where I felt "naked" when I went out without it. One day I wore it to visit my dad. He was very impressed by it. Apparently he had wanted one all his life. Since he liked it so much, I gave it to him as a present. Now, the spring is coming and I'd like to get a decent straw fedora (that's not too expensive, around $50) to wear during the warm months. When the fall comes, I see myself ordering custom hat, perhaps from Vintage Silhouettes.

Do you happen to have any recommendations for a decent, inexpensive summer straw hat (that looks kind of like Biltmore Stewart)?

Cheers,

Rafal

carldelo

One Too Many
Inexpensive straw teardrop hats

Rafal said:
Do you happen to have any recommendations for a decent, inexpensive summer straw hat (that looks kind of like Biltmore Stewart)?

We seem to have similar tastes (moderate brim, c-crown) and I've been doing a lot of looking lately. If they came big enough, I would get a Stetson Retro, which many vendors have. Also, David Morgan has the Panama Fedora which looks a bit nicer, but is more $$$ - I've been considering it as it comes big enough for me. The drawback to these hats is the S-M-L sizing, which is less desirable than proper sizing. Also, they have 2-1/2" brims, which you may find too wide based on the 2" brim of the Stewart.

Recently Mr. E Train bought a Truman, a Milan straw teardrop from the Hat Guys, with a 2" brim. It's quite nice looking and comes in proper sizes and multiple colors. I recently bought a felt from them and the service was quick. Note that they do not accept returns, only exchanges or store credit. I'm currently vacillating between the Truman and the DM hat.

Truman:
1075.jpg

David Morgan Panama Fedora:
1648a_lg6.jpg

Stetson Retro:
511VJTJHDML.jpg

Neil

A-List Customer
New hat advice

My advice would be to book a ticket to Chicago, stay at the Conrad downtown (lovely little hotel), rent a car and drive to Optimo on the South side.
Once there, buy a felt and a straw.
You'll be happy you did.

frussell

One Too Many
Don't know if you like stingy brims, but...

I really have enjoyed my Stetson Milan Latte straws. I have the sand, or natural color, and recently bought a grey one. It's not a stiff straw, the bound brim looks nice on your head, and it has a super comfortable cloth sweatband. It gets mighty hot where I live, and windy as well, so a stiff straw is not an option for me. Bonus is you can find them in the above-debated "melon head" sizes, for those of us lucky few who are cranially well endowed. Frank

Rafal

New in Town
I think it would be awesome to visit Optimo, and I'm all for getting a custom fit stuff, I just don't know if I can afford their prices. The quality would probably be pretty good though.

Bill Hughes

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi everybody. I'm a noob and am really enjoying reading old threads. Learning a lot. I'm pretty much bald and live in Texas. So my head burns in the summer and gets cold in the winter. Answer - wear hats. I have a few of questions.

First; I wear suits every Sunday for church. I want some nice hats. So I'm tending to lean toward custom beaver hats. I would rather get fewer good quality hats over time then several lesser quality hats soon. Good or bad idea? I'm not far from Peter Bros in Fort Worth so can go there to get ideas of how different hats look.

Second; it seems the Akubra is liked a lot by you guys for the everyday hat. Right?

Third; if I don't go with custom beaver what do you suggest for dress fedoras?

Fourth; what do you think of Peter Bros?

First Question: I am not a good person to ask as I started out with a few good hats and could not stop. So now I have a whole lot of good quality hats. It seems that one of the qualities of felt is that it is addictive.
Second question; Most people here really like the Akubra except Moon!
Third question: I have both Beaver and Rabbit customs and I think they both make great dress hats. To my eyes and touch there is not too much that separates them except the price point and the satisfaction of owning a top quality Beaver felt hat but throw a blindfold on me and challenge me to feel the diff I would fail that challenge.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
#1 not a bad idea at all. I have four custom beaver hats I bought over five years and haven't regretted it. If you can try a bunch on to see what you like, go for it.
#2 love my Akubras! Federation, squatter, campdraft are all nice fedora options that you will not regret and can't go wrong with.
#3 beaver or rabbit is all good. Remember when they get old and dirty you can send them back to who made it for you to get serviced.
#4 Peter brothers has been around for a very long time. I used to read about them on forums back in 2000. Can't recall hearing anything bad about them but I have no direct experience.
Hope that helps some.
Johnny

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran