Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for info on jacket materials/components

ykurtz

One of the Regulars
You may want to consider a zip in/out Thinsulate lining. This could extend the use of your jacket to warmer days by zipping out the liner; alternatively extend the use by allowing you to wear it on colder days by zipping in the liner.

karatepig

New in Town
You may want to consider a zip in/out Thinsulate lining. This could extend the use of your jacket to warmer days by zipping out the liner; alternatively extend the use by allowing you to wear it on colder days by zipping in the liner.
Hmm, has anyone done this? How much does the fit of the jacket change when removing the liner? I take it another lining material would exist beneath the removable one.

Peacoat

Bartender
It will change the fit some. You really need several leather jackets for different temperature ranges. One or two with liners and one or two without.

If you order the M-200 from Alan, you probably will want to get it without the wind flap as you don't ride. Mine came with the wind flap, but I don't use it for riding. It just gets in the way.

karatepig

New in Town
I'm actually having him construct a custom jacket I dreamed up, then brought to life via Gimp. I had originally conceived a completely unique piece, utilizing parts from three different jackets, but it simply didn't look the way I had envisioned it. In the end, I just made a few modifications to an Aero Dustbowl Half-Belt. The M-200 will be for fitting purposes only.
Interesting note about the wind flap. I had thought it may be useful on a blustery day, or when riding my bicycle (I typically do all my in-town commuting in that fashion, which usually yields 10-20mph of relative wind. Sometimes I'll embark on a longer ride in this hilly country, and attain speeds in excess of 50 mph.:madgrin:)

Last edited:

ykurtz

One of the Regulars
For bicycle riding, I wouldn't wear any of my leather jackets: a lighter textile jacket makes more sense to me: less weight, waterproof, windproof, more visible, etc. I do a lot of mountain biking in the Spring/Summer and plenty of riding during the Fall, and not once have I ever contemplated wearing a leather jacket for that purpose. Perhaps it's a regional thing.

karatepig

New in Town
For bicycle riding, I wouldn't wear any of my leather jackets: a lighter textile jacket makes more sense to me: less weight, waterproof, windproof, more visible, etc. I do a lot of mountain biking in the Spring/Summer and plenty of riding during the Fall, and not once have I ever contemplated wearing a leather jacket for that purpose. Perhaps it's a regional thing.
I was being facetious when I hinted at wearing it on my longer rides. For those, it's light-weight materials every time. But when I make the 1/2 mile jaunt into town (this is a small place) to check my po box, then sure, I'll wear it.

IXL

One Too Many
For bicycle riding, I wouldn't wear any of my leather jackets: a lighter textile jacket makes more sense to me: less weight, waterproof, windproof, more visible, etc. I do a lot of mountain biking in the Spring/Summer and plenty of riding during the Fall, and not once have I ever contemplated wearing a leather jacket for that purpose. Perhaps it's a regional thing.[/QUOTE

Have you ever ridden the Hotter 'N Hell Hundred, around Wichita Falls? We've done that one about six times. My best time was just over four hours: that ship's sailed.......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff