Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Los Angeles, Cicada Club in January, where to stay??

cowboy76

Suspended
It will be our first time to the west coast and to the cicada club. We're really looking forward to it and are planning on visiting old friends in LA, and a friend in North Hollywood, CA also. Would like to do The Derby, (any specific nights better than others for the Derby??) and some other places, etc.

Right now, our primary objective is to figure out a palce to stay. We're looking to head out Jan 23 or 24 and leave Jan 29. Any recommendations for where to stay while in town? Safe and comfortable with good clean rooms, not to expensive...that's what we're looking for. ;)
I WOULD like to do at least one to two nights in a nice hotel such as the historic Biltmore Hotel. :D I saw the Biltmore and thought the price was doable for a few nights,...cheaper would be better though, but I do realize it IS LA though and hotels are bound to be a bit pricey for upper class joints here and there.

Pennyseranade and I thank you in advance!!!

cowboy76

Suspended
Have you stayed there by chance?

I'll tell ya, I stumbled onto a page about the Sunset Tower, used to be the Argyle,....WOW!!:eek: ,....neat place,....very deco outside, but the inside looks to have been renovated to some extent.:rolleyes:

Yes, I'd say we could afford one night there at the Biltmore,....and that's about it!! [huh] Oh well,...HA,...HA! I'm just tryin to track down a nice 30s or 40s Tux. I have a 40s suit but not sure I'm wanting to wear it the Cicada club evening....
Maybe a nice 30s or 40s wide lapel blazer IF I can find one!!??!!??[huh]

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
cowboy76 said:
Well, that's it then,..we'll do a night there, maybe two if I can swing it (no pun intended!!)

Here's me and the missus overlookin' the original lobby area in '05:

LAwithRootandMatt005.jpg

KObalto

One of the Regulars
Hotel

The Hyatt in West Hollywood is nothing special architecturally, but it's very nice, right on Sunset and can often be had on Priceline for $80-120 a night. Check on biddingfortravel.com to see what bids are being accepted.

cowboy76

Suspended
Thanks for the heads up on the hyatt,...one or two nights in the ritz is more than anough for me,...then its back to the real world,...the cheaper the better,...just need safe, clean rooms,...!!;)

Snookie

Practically Family
Don't know about the average hotels in the area, but the Biltmore is your best choice for Sunday night. It's beautiful, it's only a block away, and I think they have their afternoon tea on Sundays.

The Sunset Tower, aka the Argyle, has been completely redone on the inside. Kept the outside architecture, but it's not remotely "vintage" on the inside.

The Derby only has swing on Sunday nights, so that's competing with the Cicada Club. I think they still have a burlesque night on Monday or Tuesday? I don't know if that's your cup of tea...

cowboy76

Suspended
Snookie said:
Don't know about the average hotels in the area, but the Biltmore is your best choice for Sunday night. It's beautiful, it's only a block away, and I think they have their afternoon tea on Sundays.

The Sunset Tower, aka the Argyle, has been completely redone on the inside. Kept the outside architecture, but it's not remotely "vintage" on the inside.

The Derby only has swing on Sunday nights, so that's competing with the Cicada Club. I think they still have a burlesque night on Monday or Tuesday? I don't know if that's your cup of tea...

Well good friend of ours knows some of the cats from Royal Crown Revue, knew them for years, was in one of their weddings years back. Was hoping to get to see the boys if they're still playing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24