Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Love at first sight? What Balloney!!...or, does it really happen?

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Diamondback said:
This is part of why my entire strategy for dealing with others is to lay all my cards on the table up-front, including all the various issues with my character and background.

Including your diseases?
Not you, in particular, DB. But really -- I'm being serious. To all:
When does one tell people about one's medical conditions, diseases, etc?

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
With The Mister and I, he had me at a disadvantage from the beginning. He'd seen me four months before he approached me to ask me to dance. He liked what he saw. :eek:

For me, he wasn't my type. I was into greasers/bad boys. He's a cowboy. But there was something about him that felt so comfortable. The first night, we talked for several hours until the bar closed down and they kicked us out. The day after we met, he went on vacation to Hawaii. During the week that he was gone, we talked for 6 hours on the phone. Our first official date was the day he got back from vacation, and it lasted 8 hours. Talk about intense.

I was scared of what I was feeling. It was so overwhelming, and I'd never felt that way about any man before. I'd had my share of hurt, as had he. But we knew that this was different. We both had to open up and trust one another. It isn't always easy, but it feels right. Friday will be nine months of marriage for us. We still don't know everything about each other, but that's part of growing together.

Partners in adventure, best friends, and each other's best half.

Love at first sight? No.

But I can't live without my Mister.

Dr Doran

Babydoll said:
With The Mister and I, he had me at a disadvantage from the beginning. He'd seen me four months before he approached me to ask me to dance. He liked what he saw. :eek:

For me, he wasn't my type. I was into greasers/bad boys. He's a cowboy. But there was something about him that felt so comfortable. The first night, we talked for several hours until the bar closed down and they kicked us out. The day after we met, he went on vacation to Hawaii. During the week that he was gone, we talked for 6 hours on the phone. Our first official date was the day he got back from vacation, and it lasted 8 hours. Talk about intense.

I was scared of what I was feeling. It was so overwhelming, and I'd never felt that way about any man before. I'd had my share of hurt, as had he. But we knew that this was different. We both had to open up and trust one another. It isn't always easy, but it feels right. Friday will be nine months of marriage for us. We still don't know everything about each other, but that's part of growing together.

Partners in adventure, best friends, and each other's best half.

Love at first sight? No.

But I can't live without my Mister.

Great stuff! I love hearing these.

Doran said:
Including your diseases?
Were I to have any chronic, communicable diseases I would mention those before things could progress to the "seriously physical stage". Mental, it's no secret that I'm a certified headcase, albeit one whose condition is more asset than liability in many areas.

You raise a very good point, sir. Honesty is always the best policy, but the question is always the timing of it.

Dr Doran

Diamondback said:
Were I to have any chronic, communicable diseases I would mention those before things could progress to the "seriously physical stage". Mental, it's no secret that I'm a certified headcase, albeit one whose condition is more asset than liability in many areas..

But insanity isn't communicable like an STD, so you're OK.

Rafter

Suspended
I believe it is possible to have a "crush at first sight". But "true love", very unlikely.

If you see someone you might think they are attractive, but it's impossible to "love" them if you don't even know them. Loving someone takes all the details.

I love ice cream, jelly beans, vintage cars, clothes and music, but that's a different kind of love. I love my family, but yet again, still a different kind of love. So, what is the definition I'm supposed to go by?

Martinis at 8

Practically Family
Body language...

dhermann1 said:
What's really happening is this: within about 5 seconds of seeing somebody your brain is interpreting their unconscious body language. ...

Good thing she didn't see my body language when I spotted her back in high school.

As Austin Powers would say, "schwing!" :D

M8

Mildred

New in Town
Doran said:
Wow! That is really beautiful. I am very happy for you, dear Mildred. Can we see pictures? Especially of your child.

Thank you. And yes I will post pictures as soon as we can learn how. Hubby and I are not quite in the modern times and this computer picture sharing is new to us. We do not have a digital camera or a printer. For some reason I don't feel embarrassed telling the folks here that we are so behind in the technology.
My husband Laurence wants to joint the Fedora Lounge now. We had no idea a website liked this existed. It is perfect for us. Glad to have found it.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I fell in love as soon as our eyes met...

It was love at first sight, without a doubt. Call me a sad auld Irish boy, but I just adore my three little darlings and the love I get in return (and all of you sappy dog lovers out there will testify to this I'm sure) is unconditional, no strings attached, just pure love for the sake of love, the way love should be :)

Dogphotos088-1.jpg

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
PADDY said:
I just adore my three little darlings and the love I get in return (and all of you sappy dog lovers out there will testify to this I'm sure) is unconditional, no strings attached, just pure love for the sake of love, the way love should be :)

You took the words out of my mouth!!! I feel the same way about my little dog Georgie :D
(and I don't even feed mine bacon lol but I do treat him with Schmackos and he loves them. He goes wacko for Schmackos!!!!) :D

pretty faythe

One Too Many
Hmm...I've seemed to fallen in love quite fast a time or two...and one has fizzled out to quite a nice friendship that I have had for 6 years now. So why it may not have been true love, at least it has been a true friend ship that has lasted through hard times.

be_lovely

One of the Regulars
I feel lucky, oh so lucky

Zig2k143 said:
I don't believe in Love at first sight. But I do believe that two people can fall deeply in love in the first few weeks of knowning each other...

Ya know, i honestly never wanted to "Fall In Love" I wanted to grow to love someone, but this time, I fell, and I am still falling down the rabbit hole, and it may have not been LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT, but it was deffinately two kindred spirits merging together, KISMIT for those who believe. Little did I imagine two months ago that I would be so in love with such a wonderful, charming, sweet man. I count myself as the luckiest woman alive!!!!!

Rosie

One Too Many
Like belovely, I too am experiencing a wonderful merging of two kindred spirits. Not exactly love at first sight but but deep knowing, understanding and soul attraction at first sight.

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
PADDY said:
Have you ever just met someone out of the blue, you talk, smile and laugh and something has just clicked and you feel like you are just going to fall into those deep blue eyes and drown, like it was the most natural thing in the world.

This used to happen to me a lot when I was younger. Days and weeks go by talking to and getting to know a certain lovely and then, as though she's reading my mind and knows that I'm about to ask her out, the words "my boyfriend" would suddenly sail through the air and into my back like a knife, plunging ever deeper until it's twisting in my heart.

So, I've given up on "love at first sight."

In fact, I've pretty much given up on love. More often than not, my feelings lean toward the quotes I have below.

Lee

"I'd often felt that a man without a woman was like a neck without a pain." - Kinky Friedman

"There are worse things in this world than being lonely, but I didn't ever want to find out what they were. I was used to lonely. Lonely fit me like an old hunting vest. I would wear it in good health." - Kinky Friedman

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Lee...

I feel your sadness there, that you feel so hurt in those circumstances that it makes you think twice about taking the plunge with someone else...
We are all the sum of out experiences I guess and that influences our future relationships with people, but 'try' (and it's easier said than done) not to judge everyone by the actions of a few. Keep seeing the glass as half full, not half empty and be positive as you cross paths with others ;)

CharlieH.

One Too Many
MrNewportCustom said:
This used to happen to me a lot when I was younger. Days and weeks go by talking to and getting to know a certain lovely and then, as though she's reading my mind and knows that I'm about to ask her out, the words "my boyfriend" would suddenly sail through the air and into my back like a knife, plunging ever deeper until it's twisting in my heart.

So, I've given up on "love at first sight."

In fact, I've pretty much given up on love. More often than not, my feelings lean toward the quotes I have below.

Lee

"I'd often felt that a man without a woman was like a neck without a pain." - Kinky Friedman

"There are worse things in this world than being lonely, but I didn't ever want to find out what they were. I was used to lonely. Lonely fit me like an old hunting vest. I would wear it in good health." - Kinky Friedman

That sums up my opinions quite accurately.... only in my case, the "boyfriend" was often an unseen excuse and not an actual person.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot