Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

M-69 Transport Coat

Lord Berners

New in Town
Hello All,

I've been reading this forum for ages but have only just decided to 'join up' as it were.

I was wondering if anybody has any information on the USN M-69 transport coat. (Leather overcoat with moulton collar.)

You see, I've just bought one and am wanting to know a little bit more about them. (Pics of one would be good to.)

I'll post pics of mine when I get a chance.

Cheers,

Lord Berners

Lord Berners

New in Town
here are the pics off ebay.

Coat has still not arrived yet. :)

DSC03278.JPG

DSC03274.JPG

DSC03276.JPG

DSC03272.JPG

DSC03273.JPG

Cheers

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Transport Coat

They were used by Transport pilots on long haul runs across the Atlantic or on submarine patrols. Often seen on the backs also of middle and senior management at sea (eg: USN Commanders upwards).
Often, you can still pick these up for really reasonable prices!! for some reason, they don't have that sex & cool look appeal that the A2 has managed to establish. Even the early G1's and wartime USN leather flight jackets are still coming in very low against similar A2's, yet the budget spent on the G1/m422a/Transport Coat..etc, was far in excess to money spent per A2!! go figure, as my American friends often say!!

If any of you ever get to handle the Transport Coat you will see just how well made it is, the quality of materials and the great bang for your buck (see how my US cousins are rubbing off on me here!).
This design is inspired by the old interwar MAIL PILOTS who ferried mail across the US,often in open cockpit, but also closed, but unheated aircraft, hence they needed something that allowed freedom of movement (hence the part Rayon lining to give that ease of movement a pilot needs), but also the Alpaca lining for warmth too. Got the great storm cuffs and the huge mouton collar to pull up when it got really chilly!!

Bang for Buck, THIS IS THE TOPS IMHO!!

(Right, hope that was of some help!! off for another Pimms No.1 in my Panama, the weather demands it!)

Slide Rule User

New in Town
Registered to thank PADDY, but would like to stick around.

Thank you PADDY. Your post was the best info from a google search. Last week, with no "Golden Era" knowledge, I purchased a (near mint?) M-69 F for $150.00 at an antique show just to please my Lady. It looked too nice for snowshoeing in high desert or mountain forests but she fell in love with it; what could I do - she's 50% Keogh.
I thought it was just a few years old until I started to buckle the belt at home. The thin leather on the buckle is breaking off, indicating much greater age. The rest of the coat feels and looks almost new with only slight signs of wear. "Bang for Buck"! You were spot on! The only other coat I've ever purchased for myself was a heavy-weight oil-skin Long Drover with a removable shearling liner and it cost ten dollars more!

The label reads: COATS, AIRCRAFT TRANSPORT; BUAERC.-U.S.NAVY; SPECIFICATION M-69 F; GORDON & FERGUSON CO.; CONTRACT NO. N288S-12600. The size tag says 38; perfect fit (shoulders/arms) with room around the waist for other clothes (I'm 5'11", 150 lbs.) belt adjustable. It would be nice to know the coats approx. date.

The only info I've found of interest to G&F G1/m422a/M-69 etc owners is that G&F supplied the fur coats worn by Admiral Richard E. Byrd on his first expedition to Antarctica in 1928. Also, Charles Lindberg selected G&F to supply the flight suit he wore when flying "The Spirit of St. Louis" on th first solo non-stop flight from U.S. to Paris. That suit now on display at the Smithsonion Air and Space Museum in Washington, D. C. The founder, Richards Gordon hailed from Wexford and immigrated to the U. S. in the 1840s.

There's more info in a 3 page pdf file at www.mvp.usace.army.mil/docs/history/GordonFerguson.pdf.

Thanks again, PADDY. Wish you could have a Pimms on my tab.

Andy.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I've moved these from this thread.

P1010283.jpg

P1010288.jpg

P1010289.jpg

P1010290.jpg

P1010291.jpg

And one of me being far too silly for my own good.
19273_1316233071784_1409441092_890618_4939117_n.jpg

Would you believe I scored mine for a mere $50?

It's got some issues, though, which I would really like to fix, but don't quite know how to go about. While most of the coat is in absolutely mint condition, still supple and beautiful as the day it was made, there is one hole, the size of a quarter through the back left shoulder. I'm guessing a rat? This of course also goes through both layers of the lining and part of the tag, as you can see.

I didn't take any good photos of the damage, and at the moment, the coat's in Maryland, so I won't be able to for a while.

But when I get the chance, what do you think would be the best way to fix the hole? My main concern is the one in the leather. I would, of course, like to fix the lining as well, but it isn't as important to me. A patch of matching color goatskin attached from the back? But attached with what? Some kind of glue?

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Zeppelin

Great poster Dinnerman, I really like the Zeppelin in the background! I watch Rocket Man every time it comes on TV, both for the Zeppelin and the Gee Bee!

bobbyball

One of the Regulars
I have had one for a few years which I got from Aero in Scotland as part of a trade.

I hardly wear it as it is so warm but I think it is the best leather overcoat ever made. The construction is top notch. Even the Alpaca lining continues underneath the three-quarter rayon lining – they would never do that these days.

Mine is a Gordon & Ferguson and also had the paper size and order info inside the pocket. The condition is fab with very slight loss of mouton on one collar edge. The USN stamp is in black and quite feint under the collar.

They thought of everything back then – even the nice detail securing the belt loop at the back of the coat to make it harder to lose.

I have seen slight variations on this type of coat – with a zip front made by Willis & Geiger. I know another guy who has an Edmund Church and that is lovely as well.

Incredibly cheap for what you get.

Enjoy – they will last a lifetime!

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I saw this on ebay. Very expensive- not in good shape, but the label made me wonder. I thought the M-422a was a G-1 style jacket, not an overcoat. Did the designation carry over or is the tag in this coat not original. The interior strap on the overcoat reminds me of a German one I have.

343739198_o.jpg

343739313_o.jpg

343739355_o.jpg

343739695_o.jpg

343740130_o.jpg

343739051_o.jpg

bobbyball

One of the Regulars
Yes, a grafted label undoubtedly. Strange thing to do as it is such a specific military label on an otherwise civilian style coat. The coat looks European – most likely German.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I found another one for the same price as my first. This one's the other variation, with a zipper instead of buttons.
These coats are about the best thing I've laid my hands on. Stops the wind, a lining as thick and warm as a stand-alone overcoat, huge collar that covers your ears and most of your face when buttoned up. Every day that's below about 10C here- this has been my go to coat.
179890_10150101522305909_630485908_6194852_4305688_n.jpg

And now here comes along this second one.
Full alpaca lining, with satin overlays. Really nice mouton. Giant Panels of goat, storm cuffs inset in the sleeves. I shudder to think what something like this reproduced by aero or one of those guys would cost. And yet I picked this mint example up for the same whopping price as my first one.

KGrHqEOKiEE1zSJSD9VBNj1EMI1WQ_12.jpg

KGrHqIOKpsE1q184bNBNj1LUCO5w_12.jpg

KGrHqUOKnE1SvR130BNj1C20PSn_12.jpg

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Willis And Geiger

Thats a really nice Transport you found Dinerman! Always liked Willis And Geiger ever since I had one of their 80s A2s, wish I never sold it, most comfortable one I have owned. Wish I could find them like you do.

Metatron

One Too Many
The one with the diagonal zipper is truly a work of art... I'd probably feel more comfortable wearing the standard one though. :eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran