Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

M.C. Gannon Hat Company

ConsiderMeMilesDavis

One of the Regulars
It seems that everyone — myself included — is posting Gannon hats of the "formal" variety, but the rain that's been sweeping across the country has me wondering how a Gannon holds up in a downpour. Anyone brave enough to battle mother nature in a custom lid?

My foul weather head protectors have always been Campdrafts, which I wear in lieu of packing an umbrella. Mother Nature is currently losing that battle.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
I think you will see some of that around the lounge. Though I have no personal experience with Gannon, it seems he uses the best felts around and so probably you wouldn't have a problem with them in the rain.
Like you, my camp draft is my go to rain hat, but my custom falcon park lawless repro in rabbit fur is a close second. Beaver tends to be even more resilient though, and Optimo recently told me their hats can withstand a good beating too, so I'm sure Gannon's hats would be similar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It seems that everyone — myself included — is posting Gannon hats of the "formal" variety, but the rain that's been sweeping across the country has me wondering how a Gannon holds up in a downpour. Anyone brave enough to battle mother nature in a custom lid?

My foul weather head protectors have always been Campdrafts, which I wear in lieu of packing an umbrella. Mother Nature is currently losing that battle.

Mine has only experienced some nominal wetness. I haven't been really caught in the rain with it, yet. My new Gus Miller got caught in a rain storm recently but laughed it off. My Gannon seems to be a pretty tough and well built lid. I wouldn't hesitate to wear it in some rain.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up

all of mine have been exposed to the elements and are completely unscathed ... I may even be so bold as to say they got better

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
I know quality hats are supposed to be somewhat weather resistant, but for the $$$$ invested in my nice hats, I generally turn to an oilskin hat if I know it's going to be heavy rain day.

I know quality hats are supposed to be somewhat weather resistant, but for the $$$$ invested in my nice hats, I generally turn to an oilskin hat if I know it's going to be heavy rain day.

I don't worry about the felt on my vintages. I worry about damaging the sweatband. For my newer hats, I kind of have a "let's see what it can take" attitude.

And I throw my Akubras under the occasional moving backhoe, just to keep 'em happy! :D

Chamuco

I'll Lock Up
Yesterday, we got the worst storm in 10 years I left my Fed IV, sitting on the crown, by the side of an open window it got like a litter of water in it, just turned it upside down to get rid of the water, kind of fix the crease a little bit, left it on the crown with the sweatband turned up and it was fresh as a lettuce this morning

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Chamuco

I'll Lock Up
Well, just got an email from Michael, my reddish Black Cherry is ready,

I was feeling as if I have betrayed myself by not going with a contrasting ribbon, ohhh man how wrong I was.

The hat is just gorgeous, I just had to ask to get a little contrast in the bow, and the hat ended up like this…

Cant wait to get it, seems so beautiful, a very special shade this Black Cherry is..

Judge for yourself, but every time I am more convinced that you can't beat what you get from Michael.

ReddishBlackCherry5.jpg
ReddishBlackCherry5.jpg
ReddishBlackCherry2.jpg
ReddishBlackCherry4.jpg
ReddishBlackCherrybow.jpg

Last edited:

jackm

One of the Regulars
Well, just got an email from Michael, my reddish Black Cherry is ready,

I was feeling as if I have betrayed myself by not going with a contrasting ribbon, ohhh man ho wrong I was.

The hat is just gorgeous, I just had to ask to get a little contrast in the bow, and the hat ended up like this…

Cant wait to get it, seems so beautiful, a very special shade this Black Cherry is..

Judge for yourself but every time I am more convinced that you can't beat what you get from Michael.

View attachment 55488 View attachment 55488 View attachment 55489 View attachment 55490 View attachment 55491
Beautiful job, each new Gannon I see makes decision making quite a task. After I got my new Gannon my immediate impulses that now I need another, it seems the choices are unlimited.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran