Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mink oil or Pecard`s

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Jan always recommends Elephant Leather Preserver. He says it's even better than Pecards. I just started using it and like it so far.

Jan always recommends Elephant Leather Preserver. He says it's even better than Pecards. I just started using it and like it so far.
Yeah, when I recommend Pecards, it's not in lieu of other options - it's just what I've been using...certainly, there are other products that work just as well, or better.

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
I am sure both products are excellent. I use the Elephant because it's much easier to obtain here in Germany. If I lived in the US I'd stick with Pecards.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Ko Cho Line. 30 years of use with no ill effects to my original WWII leather jackets, may be easier to obtain than Pecards, Amazon do it anyway. Great for jackets, boots, bridles and saddles etc.
J:D

Peacoat

Bartender
I am an advocate of less is more. Unless your jacket is old and the leather is starting to dry, I wouldn't put anything on it. If the jacket is only a few years old, then putting a conditioner on it to "soften" it, probably isn't a good idea. Most leather jackets are a bit stiff, even after being worn for a while. The best way to soften them is to wear them.

But if the leather is drying out because it is 20 years old, or so, then Pecard is a very good conditioner. I have used the regular Pecard for a number of years with only good results.

This is a topic that frequently comes up. A search of the forum should give several threads discussing this question.

I am an advocate of less is more. Unless your jacket is old and the leather is starting to dry, I wouldn't put anything on it. If the jacket is only a few years old, then putting a conditioner on it to "soften" it, probably isn't a good idea. Most leather jackets are a bit stiff, even after being worn for a while. The best way to soften them is to wear them. But if the leather is drying out because it is 20 years old, or so, then Pecard is a very good conditioner. I have used the regular Pecard for a number of years with only good results.This is a topic that frequently comes up. A search of the forum should give several threads discussing this question.
OK, but what is the proper fit for an A-2? That one's never been discussed here... lol

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
Ko Cho Line. 30 years of use with no ill effects to my original WWII leather jackets, may be easier to obtain than Pecards, Amazon do it anyway. Great for jackets, boots, bridles and saddles etc.
J:D

I agree. My dad used it when he had a leather shop and its the only thing I used on my "black" leather jacket and chesterfield sofas, its great stuff. The only negative thing about it is that you have to wipe of the excess after a day of absorbtion, but the same goes for Pecards. I never found it after I ran out and have been using Pecards ever since but I would love another box of it :D

//edit *found it* the spelling is: Ko Cao Line......this is probably why I never found it again as we always prenounced it: Kao-co line :D
(I cant find it on Amazon tho, maybe you use .co.uk?)

Last edited:

coloradorider

One of the Regulars
I am an advocate of less is more. Unless your jacket is old and the leather is starting to dry, I wouldn't put anything on it.

Totally agree with less is more. I'd vote Pecard's or a similar product due to it's great reputation. I like Obenauf's products for my leathers.

Horween and several other tanneries use a coat of Neatsfoot oil to condition their leather as the last step in the tanning process. You probably can't go wrong using a really light coat of neatsfoot oil to touch up the finish of your jacket from time-to-time. I've had good success with this and Aero's CXL FQHH leather only to make a little appearance of surface dryness go away. I use an extremely small amount with good results. From Horween's website - http://horween.wordpress.com/2010/03/23/chromexcel®-2/.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy