Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Musicians?

Dreispitz

One Too Many
JimWagner said:
I played tuba, baritone and trombone for 13 years with a German band. Here's a real vintage outfit and hat :) And that's my grandson.

walhalla07.jpg

Hollereiduliööö!

Bassman

A-List Customer
Bass player (bass guitar and upright) here. Self taught. Love performing with good musicians. No jazz chops to speak of, but into most styles of popular (and unpopular) music prior to the 1980's. Hate rap, hip hop and opera (and Oprah).

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Watch the acoutrements

Several years of casual guitar playing, including at Christmas events for some years with an Indian Wars reenactment group.

That is where I learned the bitter lesson of what brass uniform buttons do to the back of a Martin classical guitar... not good.

A fedora, derby or 8/4 cap are best to wear while playing ... or anything else, just so long as you take a stand in a hat!

MojoStick

New in Town
Greetings all, I'm new to posting here, but have been lounging around the here for some time now. I build and play cigar box guitars and also play some amplified blues harp. Don't let these little things fool ya, I install my own hand-wound single coil pickups, they can get rather loud!
CBGFamily.jpg

HatDoc

One of the Regulars
I've played guitar, bass, sax, keys, oboe and harmonica over the years. Styles include jazz, blues, folk, rock, pop, country and orchestral music. Currently, I play bass at my church in Atlanta. We have a pretty cool church and I get to wear my hats.

Here's me & my Panama Bob/Art Fawcett Montecristi on Easter Sunday (and my Fender 51 Reissue P-Bass):

DocAndPanama.jpg

Normally, I dress like this (with another Art Fawcett in Midnight Blue):

51P_2.jpg

or this, with my Lee Water-bloc and Lakland DJ4:

DocAndDJ4.jpg

or my favorite photo with my Fender Pino Palladino Custom Shop P-Bass:

DocAndPino.jpg

(Not sure which hat I'm wearing. It's either my Akubra Fed IV or Art Fawcett in Pecan)

Thanks for a cool thread. Keep the photos coming !!!!!

BanjoStrings

New in Town
Hello there! I also happen to be a banjo picker. Besides banjo, i play bass guitar, guitar, and I sing. I play in a folk rock band for all three reasons, mostly for the love of playing. And my two hats are a Scala felt (in my picture) and a black scala straw fedora with creamed coffee ribbon.

Keep pickin!

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
BanjoStrings said:
Hello there! I also happen to be a banjo picker. Besides banjo, i play bass guitar, guitar, and I sing. I play in a folk rock band for all three reasons, mostly for the love of playing. And my two hats are a Scala felt (in my picture) and a black scala straw fedora with creamed coffee ribbon.

Keep pickin!

Thanks, I'll try. I've already tried piano, violin, ocarina, snare drums and ukelele. I really, really like old time music and irish/gaelic/celtic folk music, and I really like how Clawhammer style relies mostly on muscle memory. It's a really fun, somewhat easygoing instrument and style, and really helps me relax when I'm in college.

Anyway, WOW! That's a lot of instruments (golden pipes included). I like your hat, too! Can't make out much detail from the pic, but I like the color and overall profile.

You keep pickin' as well.

Neophyte

Started my own thread, but this one was pretty much the same so I decided to revive it. I've gone through piano, drums, violin, ocarina, and ukelele, and the only instrument I've tried that I actually like and am still playing is the banjo. I play recreationally, can only play two songs, and I am still looking for an instructor (Eastern Tennessee is just not that friendly to Clawhammer style). Anyway...

Here's my contribution: My Akubra Squatter (willow green) and my Gold Tone White Ladye intermediate level banjo.

SquatterBanjoPlayin3.jpg
SquatterBanjoPlayin2.jpg
SquatterBanjoPlayin1.jpg

SquatterBanjoPlayin4.jpg

Hey Neo,

I'm surprised there isn't more clawhammer style in Tenn, being an Appalachian type of music. I'm sure there's plenty of bluegrass, which I like,
but I do find the clawhammer unique and great for the really Ole' Time stuff.

I play guitar, mandolin and some banjo, but the guitar is my main instrument.
Unfortunately, time does not allow me to play as much as I'd like. My musical tastes run from Folk/Celtic to Old Time and Bluegrass for playing, plus old folk-rock stuff like Eagles, etc.

For listening, just about anything, except Hip-Hop and most Opera.

Some of the hats I've posted, are ones I like to wear for that Old Time look,
especially the Open Roads. They can be creased for many different styles, and you'll find the Campdraft can be versatile as well.

Neophyte

Good thing that Campdraft's coming soon, I guess. I'm just as confounded as you regarding the near total absence of clawhammer banjo in my area. I'm in college, so I don't have that much time either, but playing the two or three songs I know is a great way to relax and loosen my fingers after typing that 10-page report. :)

obie

New in Town
Let's see...

Started playing classical guitar at 6...

Moved to electric and rock bands around 12....

About 23 switched to playing the blues, which got me landed in a yup...Americana band which last album hit the top 20 in France...go figure...

Classical Guitar
Electric Guitar
Slide Guitar
Dobro (Square and Round neck)
Lap Steel
Pedal Steel
"The Stick"
Banjo
Mandolin
Bass Guitar
Piano (barely anymore)
Saxophone

Neophyte

jimmy the lid said:
SquatterBanjoPlayin4.jpg
JoStick.jpg

Looks like there are a few of us banjo players around here...;)

Ha Ha. Is that a Crossfire? I've seen that electric banjo somewhere on the net and I wanted it bad.
Mostly because it probably has a headphone jack so I can play without annoying the people around me.

...I like the hat as well.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Neophyte said:
Ha Ha. Is that a Crossfire? I've seen that electric banjo somewhere on the net and I wanted it bad.
Mostly because it probably has a headphone jack so I can play without annoying the people around me.

...I like the hat as well.

Yup, it's a Deering Crossfire, wearing a Borsalino Alessandria...;)

Neophyte

jimmy the lid said:
Yup, it's a Deering Crossfire, wearing a Borsalino Alessandria...;)

Excellent. I was going to buy a Deering Goodtime Special, but when I heard that haunting White Ladye tone ring, I had to go with the Gold Tone.

...That Borso really does look amazing, though.

DAJE

One of the Regulars
(Sorry for the manifesto, I didn't set out to write one)

I just posted a pic of my main electric guitar on the Guitars thread.

EDITED: I wrote too much, veered off topic...

I play guitar (acoustic and electric), bottleneck, and steel guitar. Been playing for 30-odd years.

I play gigs, not many recently though there should be more in the near future.

I wear hats pretty much every day, including onstage. Feel naked without one, these days.

Mav

A-List Customer
Neophyte said:
I really, really like old time music and irish/gaelic/celtic folk music,.
Same here- mando, bouzouki, tenor banjo, really bad fiddle, and guitar. Raised playing classical guitar, which is what I've fallen back on lately.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Mav said:
Same here- mando, bouzouki, tenor banjo, really bad fiddle, and guitar. Raised playing classical guitar, which is what I've fallen back on lately.

Say...that instrumental line-up spells IRISH TRAD. to me (especially the inclusion of the bouzuoki, which I also played), and/or something at least very close, like Scottish trad.. Tenor banjo wouldn't really fit in with Old Time/Bluegrass. Am I on to something here?

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
I play guitar and bass but haven't played "out" in a couple of years...We did produce our own CD years ago.:eusa_doh:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR