Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Second Thedi Arrived- Mixed feelings

f2002q

One of the Regulars
I personally think that the new jacket fits great as it is. However, if you think it's short, it will bother you forever, especially when you specifically requested it to be longer.

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
Many thanks to all of you who have responded with your honest feedback. I really appreciate it.
I did not realise that this style jacket is a "Trucker style jacket " at time of ordering. I have seen numerous pictures on the web with this same Thedi model and it does not look like a Trucker short style jacket in the various pics i have seen. Anyway, I have contacted Theodoros explaining my dilema and he replied straight away, first thing in the morning as he opened up for business, and offered to remake me a new jacket & stipulated that the model pattern is shorter than the first one i have . He also asked me for some pics of me wearing the jacket.
I emailed the pics and he replied saying that the jacket fits like a glove on me. He also agrees that it is slightly shorter than the other jacket ,but he knew that making it and he did not want to add any more length to it , which would upset the aesthetics of the design because it being a different pattern than the first and wanted to give me a more unique jacket , different to the first.
After reading all of your replies and especially from, Tony @ton312 , @TREEMAN , @58panheadfan , @Guppy ,Marc @Marc mndt , @ torfjord ,@Monitor being fans of shorter jackets,i am seeing your valid points here as well as Theodoros's, adding length to it might upset the balance. As @Monitor says This is a short jacket ,the shortest jacket i have ever worn. Maybe im not used to wearing this short.Even my wife is seeing the "Trucker style"side of it, saying it will look better once i start wearing it with layers underneath , and not so posed with T shirt tucked in jeans especially my old light wash jeans i used in both sets of pics She digged up this photo of Daniel Craig wearing a very short Trucker style cut jacket which looks very short and said she loves "this look" with some layers underneath.

View attachment 391857

Everyone here has made some good honest points, After going thru my wardrobe with my wife and pairing it with more newer pairs of darkwash jeans and chinos, and layers underneath the jacket, my wife loves it and i have warmed up to the various looks i can accomplish with a shorter jacket.
I have decided to keep it and learn to accept it is the loook Theodoros wanted this jacket for my body. Make no mistake this is another "top tier" made jacket by Thedi. The little insecurity just got the better of me, Many thanks to all who replied . Just have to wait for our summer to finish now.
If this jacket reminds your wife of Daniel Craig, you have already won. Big.
A great jacket and a great decision to keep it. Like some in this thread, I will wear an ultra-short jacket if it is a period piece in the period style (50s moto, trucker, etc). Since Theodoros said it is a trucker style, just wear the heck out of it. A stellar piece.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
@nickv It does look like its a little shorter. But still looks good. Usually it's the ladies who gets to check out our back sides and if it's ok with them it's ok with me.
To be fair I think the reason for the shorter feeling could be the upper back pulling the bottom up. So same length feels shorter on the second one. The Thedi wash and wax process shrunk the leather tighter, but in theory it could stretch out after a few wears. The goats are really much better suited for the wash and wax treatment over the cow or horse though as they stretch much better.
I like your shearling options.
Image1.jpg

Rgcards

A-List Customer
So, a very sad story. My wife and I were married for years and literally not one time did she mention another man looking attractive to her. Suddenly she started talking about Daniels craig. So I went on a quest to get the Skyfall jacket. This was before I collected jackets. I overpaiamd on ebay , got one and waited for her to notice. She never did and filed for divorce a month later.
Moral of the story. : Wife compared you to Daniel Craig. Wear every freaking day

nickv

One of the Regulars
Honest feedback?

Short but not too short for an OTR-fit. As you requested more lenght, it´s a personal thing if you can live with it or feel a constant itch.

Why does it look shorter than the other jacket? Are the comparison pix taken at the same time? Could it be that you´ve gained 1-2 pounds (Covid-fat and/or weightlifting)? This would make the jacket ride up a bit. You won´t notice in a fully broken in jacket.

BTW: Both jackets looks absolutely great!
In hindsight, you have made a very valid point which i" overlooked", i have been doing a little "upper body " weight training at home the last 6 months, which probably plays into the slight difference in back length and the jacket riding up a bit, as both these jackets have the exact same back length, and yes the comparison photos were taken seperately, early Feb for the original and yesterday , and in both photos the exact same pair of jeans were used.

I am sensitive to short jackets—don't like them. However, I don't see anything too short about your jacket. No way in the world would I even think about sending this one back.
Thanks Peacoat, have valued your posts over the years of me lurking on here. Because of you i have 3 Kersey Peacoats, A world war2 and 2 Vietnam era ( i believe 1966), keep meaning to post some pics, which i will do in the new year.

From my perspective it looks absolutely spot on in terms of length - any longer and it loses the whole look and style - jackets of this style have to cut off right at the belt to look right imo, and this one looks fantastic as it is I would say.
Thanks, i am seeing now this whole thing about this style = belt line.

L

Congrats @nickv, that jacket with 2 sets of detachable collar is just too nice. I'm late to the party but I'm glad that you are keeping the jacket as is. I am in favor of shorter jacket lengths for leather/denim jackets so I found the fit photos looking quite ideal so I hope the look/fit growns on you. Not sure if it will be your style but you may want to try pairing the jacket with jeans/trousers with a higher back rise to fill in that visual gap between the jacket hem to the back pocket.

picture below is a jacket with a 22.5" back length with pants having a 16" back rise?
View attachment 391869

how do you find the Canetto cowhide compared to the Buffalo?
Thanks Jin. The other jacket is Horsehide. This feels more robust and stiff, will have to wear in the house over summer to break in, but i am loving the graining on this. How is yours coming along?

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
Thanks Jin. The other jacket is Horsehide. This feels more robust and stiff, will have to wear in the house over summer to break in, but i am loving the graining on this. How is yours coming along?
ooh got it, i thought that was Buffalo. wow that's surprising that you note that the Canetto is stiffer, the Thedi I have is my softest jacket in my closet so that first jacket of yours must be super supple for a horse hide. the graining is insane, it's so different from what I currently have and it's growing on me. I only wear the jacket 1-2x a week so it's still pretty much the same although the shoulder and upper back seems to have moulded to my physique already. I love wearing the mouton collar, it's just the right warmth for 40-50F weather

nickv

One of the Regulars
ooh got it, i thought that was Buffalo. wow that's surprising that you note that the Canetto is stiffer, the Thedi I have is my softest jacket in my closet so that first jacket of yours must be super supple for a horse hide. the graining is insane, it's so different from what I currently have and it's growing on me. I only wear the jacket 1-2x a week so it's still pretty much the same although the shoulder and upper back seems to have moulded to my physique already. I love wearing the mouton collar, it's just the right warmth for 40-50F weather
Yes the horshide was much more supple/softer-drape wise as soon as i received it. Im sure my cowhide will sotren up in no time.Yes they are tottally different in feel as opposed to other makers, super comfortable.And i agree about the mouton collars, i can even swap all three , the beige from the first one, my newly aquired black and brown collars between both jackets as they all have the same button hole spacing .

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
Yes the horshide was much more supple/softer-drape wise as soon as i received it. Im sure my cowhide will sotren up in no time.Yes they are tottally different in feel as opposed to other makers, super comfortable.And i agree about the mouton collars, i can even swap all three , the beige from the first one, my newly aquired black and brown collars between both jackets as they all have the same button hole spacing .
wow, what a nice horse hide that is if it's even more supple and drape even better than the Canetto cowhide. it shouldn't take much time at all, the leather is very forgiving and quite easy to wear. Wow that's so cool, you can interchange multiple colored collar for 2 jackets. That's a lot of different looks you can achieve!

red devil

My Mail is Forwarded Here
A bit late to the party, but I think you will be happy with the jacket especially when your wife tells you every once in a while "why don't you wear that jacket?".

With the time spent in this forum and getting jackets, I realised that each jacket had its proportions. What seemed too short back then appears very well balanced.

So, a very sad story. My wife and I were married for years and literally not one time did she mention another man looking attractive to her. Suddenly she started talking about Daniels craig. So I went on a quest to get the Skyfall jacket. This was before I collected jackets. I overpaiamd on ebay , got one and waited for her to notice. She never did and filed for divorce a month later.
Moral of the story. : Wife compared you to Daniel Craig. Wear every freaking day

Some short time into my last relationship, my ex asked me why am I no longer wearing that one jacket that she thought looked best on me. She never once mentioned this the whole time I had it, of course, and not being particularly fond of it myself, I gave it to my friend. She did like it, though as throughout the years, she would occasionally ask me if I got it back.

Some months before I got dumped, my friend returned the jacket to me, explaining he's out of the leather phase. I thought my ex would be at least moderately surprised when I show up wearing it but needless to say, didn't even notice it. Even when I told her it's that jacket she liked, she didn't believe me, insisting it can't be.

I knew at that moment it's all over.

Having said that, I won't ever understand what Craig's appeal is. I mean, like Daniel Craig the same as I would like that friendly guy who's always sitting at a local bar with a day time pint, who'd look just as uncomfortable in that suit as Craig does.

Bennarion

One Too Many
After receiving my first Thedi leather jacket in February this year, i was smitten by the workmaship and quality of the product , that i didnt hesitate to place another one on order in June. It arrived yesterday. Model MTC-127996 in black Canetto cowhide washed and waxed (same as @Jin431) ,with brass 2 way zipper,brass cuff snaps and brass side cinch strap buckle , and wool lining, and 2 removable collars, black and brown .Once again the quality of the work is outstanding.Fit feels great as like the first jacket..... BUT there is something nagging at me.
When i ordered the jacket i mentioned that i would like the back of the jacket at least half a inch longer in the length, as compared to my first jacket. They even requested me to take a pic of my first jacket with measuring of the back length, which i did and emailed for their production. The back length is exactly the same on both jackets, yet this jacket "Feels and Looks " shorter to me. Comparing pics to my first jacket the back looks shorter, I don't know? Honest feedback please, no sugar coating. Fit pics to follow. View attachment 391772 View attachment 391761 View attachment 391762 View attachment 391763 View attachment 391764 View attachment 391765 View attachment 391766
It's interesting to see after more than 2 years how this jacket looks

TartuWolf

Practically Family
Loved reading through this thread, it's a great example of why I love TFL in terms of fit checks. So many interesting comments and opinions. The jacket looks STUNNING in the photos. Would love to see how it looks now.

Mark

Practically Family
I think making what is a short style jacket longer can easily make the jacket look off and weird even. I have two Aero shorter style jackets both came in shorter than requested (falling just below the belt). However, if you stop focusing on the length you may be surprised how quickly you begin to think it looks right, as it should be in fact. At least that is my experience.

Rich22

Practically Family
It doesn't look too short in the photos, but your jeans are hiked up. As it's only half an inch away from spec I'm not sure there's much leeway to complain to Thedi. If you'd asked for an extra inch and a half, that would be a different story.

Beautiful jacket, either way.

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Nice jacket but is it what you ordered?

The way I look at it these days. If you walked into a store and could buy it off the rack as is or with the specs you originally outlined, would you have bough this one off the rack?

VansonRider

One of the Regulars
This dilemma is exactly why i hate custom orders as opposed to otr. Not like you can ask for 1 size bigger for a fit comparison. I get that the length has that vintage fit but it’s the one part of vintage fit i don’t care for. Imo the problem lies with the present average pants rise. With a 32/33 pants size i like a “mid rise” at about 11”. A short jacket like that looks better with 12” plus.
For me (and i’m guessing several others here) nagging internal voices only get louder with time. My experience is your first instinct is usually correct and if someone asks about fit here in their heart they already know the answer.
I was going to say the same about trouser rise. Current trends in the rise of jeans are what make the jacket look short, not the jacket length. I like shorter jackets, too. But I have longer legs and a shorter torso than most guys my height. In bicycle fitting terms I'm a "shortback" I have a Vanson Highwayman as much as I love it, boy would I like to find one with the torso length of the C2!

Jasonissm

Practically Family
I was going to say the same about trouser rise. Current trends in the rise of jeans are what make the jacket look short, not the jacket length. I like shorter jackets, too. But I have longer legs and a shorter torso than most guys my height. In bicycle fitting terms I'm a "shortback" I have a Vanson Highwayman as much as I love it, boy would I like to find one with the torso length of the C2!
I have long torso and short legs, I think I still prefer medium or short jackets since it makes my legs look a bit longer with how it breaks up the outfit visually. I still like my Model E, it's quite long but I would love an older pattern C2, the modern ones are only slightly shorter than my E, maybe about half to an inch shorter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy