Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Name the Actor...

LizzieMaine

Bartender
"Wake Up And Live," from 1937, one of the best comedy-musicals ever made about radio. Faye and Haley are third and fourth billed below the stars of the picture, Walter Winchell and Ben Bernie, who bring their fake radio "feud" to the screen playing themselves. Winchell, especially, is impressive as an actor -- delivering lines with authority, and making his scoundrelly character genuinely likeable. Other fine character actors in the picture include Patsy Kelly -- my lifelong role model -- and Ned Sparks as Winchell's sidekicks, and Walter Catlett as a greasy agent. The musical score by Gordon and Revel is one of the best in a year of great film scores, and all of the songs are well-performed. Haley, however, doesn't get to sing in his own voice -- his flat Massachusetts accent wasn't romantic enough for his role, so all his vocals were dubbed by popular radio crooner Buddy Clark.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
It’s “Silent Night” quiz time!

Can you name this silent film from 1925?
Can you name the two actresses?

TOP PHOTO:
It’s the same actress in split-screen playing dual roles.
tumblr_m5mtpr01Te1qh6mhbo1_500.png

BOTTOM PHOTO:
A double is used on the right since they will be hugging.

Hint: Both went on to win an Oscar in “talking films”.

Last edited:
It’s “Silent Night” quiz time!

Can you name this silent film from 1925?
Can you name the two actresses?

TOP PHOTO:
It’s the same actress in split-screen playing dual roles.
View attachment 113698
BOTTOM PHOTO:
A double is used on the right since they will be hugging.

Hint: Both went on to win an Oscar in “talking films”.

I have no idea of the film - my silent film knowledge is really limited - but the actress looks like it could be Norma Shearer.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
That would be Diana Cary, better known as "Baby Peggy." She was as close as they had to a female Jackie Coogan in the early twenties, made a ton of money for Universal, and saw every cent she earned for herself sucked away and blown by her corrupt parents. Her parents tried to force her to go back into show business in the 1930s to support them, and she told them to go to hell, ran away, got married, changed her name, and found other ways to make a living without having to trade on her childhood image.

She'll turn 100 this fall, the last surviving major American star of the silent era.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
As always a pleasure for that information Lizzie.
And since no new entry was made, I will offer the following:

Can you name the movie?
Piano Player?
Song he is playing in this scene only?
Actor standing in back of the piano player?
What is he asking the actor standing in front of the piano player
in this scene?

Five gold stars if you know all answers!

Casablanca 1.jpg

OldStrummer

Practically Family
The greatest movie ever made, Casablanca. The actor is Sydney Greenstreet, who if memory serves, played in other Bogart movies. The piano player was Dooley Wilson. Can't remember the song he's playing (it wasn't As Time Goes By, I don't think) and I don't know what question Bogie was asking. Was it, "Do you remember it, Sam?"

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
The greatest movie ever made, Casablanca. The actor is Sydney Greenstreet, who if memory serves, played in other Bogart movies. The piano player was Dooley Wilson. Can't remember the song he's playing (it wasn't As Time Goes By, I don't think) and I don't know what question Bogie was asking. Was it, "Do you remember it, Sam?"

Piano player (Dooley Wilson) is playing a rendition of "The very Thought of You”,
my favorite rendition is by Billie Holiday.

greenstreet-casa-2.png

This scene Rick is asking Sam (Dooley Wilson) if he would like to work for Ferrari (Sydney Greenstreet) owner of the “other bar”, The Blue Parrot.

Screen Shot 2018-04-11 at 11.04.52 AM.png

This neon Blue Parrot hangs above a bar of the same name in Massapequa, Long Island, New York.

Last edited:
⇧ I absolutely recognize that I've seen the actor in the center in several movies (but can't for the life of me guess his name) and am pretty sure I know the other two (but not as sure as I am about the center actor). That said, that's it - I can't name any of them (I get a big zero on the test), but am all but sure Lizzie can name, at minimum, the center actor.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Come on, I'm surprised at you people - this is a VERY well known film!

Stagecoach, 1939, directed by John Ford, with John Wayne's starmaking role as Johnny Ringo.

John Carradine, Donald Meek, Claire Trevor

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Meek was one of the great character comedians of his generation. He always played the same part, no matter what the picture or what the setting -- the fussy petty functionary or clerk who flutters and flusters his way around the edge of the story -- and he never seemed to age beyond the point of being a droopy little bald guy.

And no, "Meek" wasn't his stage name. He was born that way. I always wanted to see him in an all-era "meek-off" pitted against Hobart Cavanaugh and John Fiedler.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21